No Agents visible. Do I understand this correctly? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on No Agents visible. Do I understand this correctly? - Veritas Backup Exec ; This seems to be a popular question. The answer was vauge from my point of view. I have two W2K servers. One with BE8.5 and the other with and agent. On the BE machine the Agents tree shows no agents. ...

  1. No Agents visible. Do I understand this correctly?

    This seems to be a popular question. The answer was vauge from my point of
    view.

    I have two W2K servers. One with BE8.5 and the other with and agent. On
    the BE machine the Agents tree shows no agents. The way I understood the
    answers to these questions is that is supposed to be like that and I should
    make my selections under the Network tree. Yes? If so, anyone no why there
    is and Agents tree in the first place?

    Also if yes, when I make my selections under the Network tree I can check
    the System State box, but if I expand it out the items below System State
    are greyed and show "\" in the box. Is this correct as well? Will they
    backup?

    Lastly, what happens when I install the Exchange Agent on the remote 2K
    server. I understand that these selections will also appear under the
    Network tree, not the Agents tree. Correct?

    Thanks for any insight.

    -T.

  2. Re: No Agents visible. Do I understand this correctly?

    Replies In-Line

    "T." wrote:
    >This seems to be a popular question. The answer was vauge from my point

    of
    >view.
    >
    >I have two W2K servers. One with BE8.5 and the other with and agent. On
    >the BE machine the Agents tree shows no agents. The way I understood the
    >answers to these questions is that is supposed to be like that and I should
    >make my selections under the Network tree. Yes? If so, anyone no why there
    >is and Agents tree in the first place?

    Correct, WinNT and W2K machines will appear under the Networks tree
    Win9x and Unix agents will appear under Agents

    >Also if yes, when I make my selections under the Network tree I can check
    >the System State box, but if I expand it out the items below System State
    >are greyed and show "\" in the box. Is this correct as well? Will they
    >backup?

    Should be OK.

    >Lastly, what happens when I install the Exchange Agent on the remote 2K
    >server. I understand that these selections will also appear under the
    >Network tree, not the Agents tree. Correct?

    You should get a new icon (or two if you are using Exchange 5.5) under the
    server(s) that Exchange resides on, similar to the drive icons.

    >Thanks for any insight.
    >

    >-T.

  3. Re: No Agents visible. Do I understand this correctly?

    Thanks Ken.

    -T.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Replies In-Line
    >
    > "T." wrote:
    > >This seems to be a popular question. The answer was vauge from my point

    > of
    > >view.
    > >
    > >I have two W2K servers. One with BE8.5 and the other with and agent. On
    > >the BE machine the Agents tree shows no agents. The way I understood the
    > >answers to these questions is that is supposed to be like that and I

    should
    > >make my selections under the Network tree. Yes? If so, anyone no why

    there
    > >is and Agents tree in the first place?
    > >

    > Correct, WinNT and W2K machines will appear under the Networks tree
    > Win9x and Unix agents will appear under Agents
    >
    > >Also if yes, when I make my selections under the Network tree I can check
    > >the System State box, but if I expand it out the items below System State
    > >are greyed and show "\" in the box. Is this correct as well? Will they
    > >backup?

    > Should be OK.
    >

    > >Lastly, what happens when I install the Exchange Agent on the remote 2K
    > >server. I understand that these selections will also appear under the
    > >Network tree, not the Agents tree. Correct?

    > You should get a new icon (or two if you are using Exchange 5.5) under the
    > server(s) that Exchange resides on, similar to the drive icons.
    >

    > >Thanks for any insight.
    > >

    > >-T.

+ Reply to Thread