individual mailbox backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on individual mailbox backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running Exchange 5.0 and Seagate Backup Exec 7.0. My Backup Exec service account is the NT Admin account and I have an exchange profile created for it. I still do not get an option for mailboxes in Backup ...

  1. individual mailbox backup

    I am running Exchange 5.0 and Seagate Backup Exec 7.0. My Backup Exec service
    account is the NT Admin account and I have an exchange profile created for
    it. I still do not get an option for mailboxes in Backup exec. Any help would
    be appreciated.

  2. Re: individual mailbox backup

    Mailbox backups did not become available till v7.2, as I recall. One of the
    reasons that v7.2 was not a free upgrade.

    But mailbox restores may not give you what you think they will. See the
    thread titled "Bad Restores" from today.

    "Bruce Ferguson" wrote:

    >I am running Exchange 5.0 and Seagate Backup Exec 7.0. My Backup Exec service
    >account is the NT Admin account and I have an exchange profile created for
    >it. I still do not get an option for mailboxes in Backup exec. Any help

    would
    >be appreciated.

  3. Re: individual mailbox backup

    From everything I have read about brick level back ups I agree with you, however,
    I have been asked to set this up. The help files in backup exec give instructions
    that I have followed and checked over multiple times but still no success.
    I am about to suggest an alternative solution. Would you suggest upgrading
    Backup exec anyway?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Mailbox backups did not become available till v7.2, as I recall. One of

    the
    >reasons that v7.2 was not a free upgrade.
    >
    >But mailbox restores may not give you what you think they will. See the
    >thread titled "Bad Restores" from today.
    >
    >"Bruce Ferguson" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am running Exchange 5.0 and Seagate Backup Exec 7.0. My Backup Exec service
    >>account is the NT Admin account and I have an exchange profile created

    for
    >>it. I still do not get an option for mailboxes in Backup exec. Any help

    >would
    >>be appreciated.

  4. Re: individual mailbox backup

    If it's being jammed down your throat, there' not much you can do.
    Just make sure that yoo document your position before implementing BLBs

    if you have to go to BLB, then upgrading is the only thing you can do, or
    else go to another product entirely.

    Galaxy CommVault claims to have a different approach than an MAPI interface,
    and also claims that they are what MS uses on it's exchange farm.

    "Bruce Ferguson" wrote:

    >From everything I have read about brick level back ups I agree with you,

    however,
    >I have been asked to set this up. The help files in backup exec give instructions
    >that I have followed and checked over multiple times but still no success.
    >I am about to suggest an alternative solution. Would you suggest upgrading
    >Backup exec anyway?
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Mailbox backups did not become available till v7.2, as I recall. One of

    >the
    >>reasons that v7.2 was not a free upgrade.
    >>
    >>But mailbox restores may not give you what you think they will. See the
    >>thread titled "Bad Restores" from today.
    >>
    >>"Bruce Ferguson" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I am running Exchange 5.0 and Seagate Backup Exec 7.0. My Backup Exec

    service
    >>>account is the NT Admin account and I have an exchange profile created

    >for
    >>>it. I still do not get an option for mailboxes in Backup exec. Any help

    >>would
    >>>be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread