Insert Overwritable media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Insert Overwritable media - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a with an X200 Exabyte Tape Library. This hasn't happened for quite a while, but this morning during backups we recieved the message Insert Overwritable Media. There were 4 scratch ...

  1. Insert Overwritable media

    We are running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a with an X200
    Exabyte Tape Library. This hasn't happened for quite a while, but
    this morning during backups we recieved the message Insert Overwritable
    Media. There were 4 scratch tapes available and the loader was working
    fine. I aborted the jobs and restarted them and they worked fine.
    This is somewhat perplexing because there was scratch media. I also
    would like to know if it is possible to reduce the number of messages
    that are sent out due to rising paging costs. Any help is appreciated.

  2. Re: Insert Overwritable media

    Is the loader partitioned, and the jobs pointed at those? or are the jobs
    just pointed at the loader?

    "David M. Raymer" wrote:

    >We are running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a with an X200
    >Exabyte Tape Library. This hasn't happened for quite a while, but
    >this morning during backups we recieved the message Insert Overwritable
    >Media. There were 4 scratch tapes available and the loader was working
    >fine. I aborted the jobs and restarted them and they worked fine.
    >This is somewhat perplexing because there was scratch media. I also
    >would like to know if it is possible to reduce the number of messages
    >that are sent out due to rising paging costs. Any help is appreciated.

  3. Re: Insert Overwritable media

    The jobs are pointed at the loader. There are no partitions. The
    jobs were supposed to go to our Oracle/Exchange Media Set and there
    was no appendable media, just scratch media. I don't know if this makes
    a difference as the jobs are set to append and then overwrite if no appendable
    media is available.
    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Is the loader partitioned, and the jobs pointed at those? or are the jobs
    >just pointed at the loader?
    >
    >"David M. Raymer" wrote:
    >>
    >>We are running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a with an X200
    >>Exabyte Tape Library. This hasn't happened for quite a while, but
    >>this morning during backups we recieved the message Insert Overwritable
    >>Media. There were 4 scratch tapes available and the loader was working
    >>fine. I aborted the jobs and restarted them and they worked fine.
    >>This is somewhat perplexing because there was scratch media. I also
    >>would like to know if it is possible to reduce the number of messages
    >>that are sent out due to rising paging costs. Any help is appreciated.

  4. Re: Insert Overwritable media

    not really any help..but in my experience...its cos its rubbish software

    but look at the alterantives....

    so dont worry about it
    "David M. Raymer" wrote in message

    > We are running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a with an X200
    > Exabyte Tape Library. This hasn't happened for quite a while, but
    > this morning during backups we recieved the message Insert Overwritable
    > Media. There were 4 scratch tapes available and the loader was working
    > fine. I aborted the jobs and restarted them and they worked fine.
    > This is somewhat perplexing because there was scratch media. I also
    > would like to know if it is possible to reduce the number of messages
    > that are sent out due to rising paging costs. Any help is appreciated.

  5. Re: Insert Overwritable media

    Should have grabbed one of the scratch tapes then.

    Dunno what else to tell you.

    If you inventory the tapes now, do they all still show up as scratch?

    "David M. Raymer" wrote:

    >The jobs are pointed at the loader. There are no partitions. The
    >jobs were supposed to go to our Oracle/Exchange Media Set and there
    >was no appendable media, just scratch media. I don't know if this makes
    >a difference as the jobs are set to append and then overwrite if no appendable
    >media is available.
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Is the loader partitioned, and the jobs pointed at those? or are the jobs
    >>just pointed at the loader?
    >>
    >>"David M. Raymer" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>We are running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a with an X200
    >>>Exabyte Tape Library. This hasn't happened for quite a while, but
    >>>this morning during backups we recieved the message Insert Overwritable
    >>>Media. There were 4 scratch tapes available and the loader was working
    >>>fine. I aborted the jobs and restarted them and they worked fine.
    >>>This is somewhat perplexing because there was scratch media. I also
    >>>would like to know if it is possible to reduce the number of messages
    >>>that are sent out due to rising paging costs. Any help is appreciated.

  6. Re: Insert Overwritable media

    I reinventoried the tapes and they still show up as scratch media.
    I long erase all our tapes, before they are put back into service.
    Let me know if there is anything else I should try. In 8.6 have
    they been able to limit the number of errors per hour on insert
    overwriteable media?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Should have grabbed one of the scratch tapes then.
    >
    >Dunno what else to tell you.
    >
    >If you inventory the tapes now, do they all still show up as scratch?
    >
    >"David M. Raymer" wrote:
    >>
    >>The jobs are pointed at the loader. There are no partitions. The
    >>jobs were supposed to go to our Oracle/Exchange Media Set and there
    >>was no appendable media, just scratch media. I don't know if this makes
    >>a difference as the jobs are set to append and then overwrite if no appendable
    >>media is available.
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Is the loader partitioned, and the jobs pointed at those? or are the jobs
    >>>just pointed at the loader?

+ Reply to Thread