Disaster - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Disaster - Veritas Backup Exec ; Per MS tech support, I formatted, reinstalled, and did full restore from backup today. Spent 4 hours on phone with MS support to resolve a problem that had stopped my server from booting. After doing the restore (using Veritas Backup ...

  1. Disaster

    Per MS tech support, I formatted, reinstalled, and did full restore from
    backup today. Spent 4 hours on phone with MS support to resolve a problem
    that had stopped my server from booting.

    After doing the restore (using Veritas Backup Exec v7.3), it appears that I
    don't have a backup of my information store. I was doing full backups and
    getting "successful" messages nightly. Not sure what happended

    Am I SOL, or is there some miracle that can be worked?

    Thanks,
    Ed Lee

  2. Re: Disaster

    Did you have the exchange module, and were you selecting the IS and DS for
    your backups?

    If so, you should be OK.

    If not, you are indeed SOL, since as long as Exchange is running, neither IS or
    DS can be backed up since Exchange has them "open exclusive" (unless you have
    an NTBACKUP with Exchange selected)

    Edward Lee wrote:

    > Per MS tech support, I formatted, reinstalled, and did full restore from
    > backup today. Spent 4 hours on phone with MS support to resolve a problem
    > that had stopped my server from booting.
    >
    > After doing the restore (using Veritas Backup Exec v7.3), it appears that I
    > don't have a backup of my information store. I was doing full backups and
    > getting "successful" messages nightly. Not sure what happended
    >
    > Am I SOL, or is there some miracle that can be worked?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed Lee

  3. Re: Disaster

    Thanks for the quick reply Ken. I do not have the Exchange module. I thought
    I read in the manual that Backup Exec COULD backup open files. I thought the
    Exchange module was only necessary if one wanted to be able to backup and
    restore individual mailboxes. Wow did I screw up!

    Ed Lee

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Did you have the exchange module, and were you selecting the IS and DS

    for
    > your backups?
    >
    > If so, you should be OK.
    >

    > If not, you are indeed SOL, since as long as Exchange is running, neither

    IS or
    > DS can be backed up since Exchange has them "open exclusive" (unless you

    have
    > an NTBACKUP with Exchange selected)
    >
    > Edward Lee wrote:
    >
    > > Per MS tech support, I formatted, reinstalled, and did full restore from
    > > backup today. Spent 4 hours on phone with MS support to resolve a

    problem
    > > that had stopped my server from booting.
    > >
    > > After doing the restore (using Veritas Backup Exec v7.3), it appears

    that I
    > > don't have a backup of my information store. I was doing full backups

    and
    > > getting "successful" messages nightly. Not sure what happended
    > >
    > > Am I SOL, or is there some miracle that can be worked?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ed Lee

  4. Re: Disaster

    This is what i did when i had to do a restore. I did not need to restore
    Exchange, it was all done with OFO and all worked afterwards.

    I assume you have OFO, if not, feel free to shoot yourself.

    1) Zap Server.
    2) Install NT4 Wstation or Server - either will do, I use Wstation even when
    restoring a server, there's less to go through. - to a different \temporary
    directory e.g \wintmp with Networking and same Service pack as backup.
    3) Convert to NTFS as appropiate.
    4) Don't install any guff ,like SQL or Exchange etc etc. Just the minimum.
    5) Install backup Exec.
    6) Restore drives only (NOT SQL or Exchange) to original paths.
    7) Edit boot.ini to enable boot from temp and restored NT4.
    8) Boot up and Enjoy.

    I'm not saying this is right, or the best way to proceed, but it seems to
    work for me.

    Regards

    "Edward Lee" wrote in message news:3b960ebd$1@hronntp01....
    > Thanks for the quick reply Ken. I do not have the Exchange module. I

    thought
    > I read in the manual that Backup Exec COULD backup open files. I thought

    the
    > Exchange module was only necessary if one wanted to be able to backup and
    > restore individual mailboxes. Wow did I screw up!
    >
    > Ed Lee
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > Did you have the exchange module, and were you selecting the IS and DS

    > for
    > > your backups?
    > >
    > > If so, you should be OK.
    > >

    > > If not, you are indeed SOL, since as long as Exchange is running,

    neither
    > IS or
    > > DS can be backed up since Exchange has them "open exclusive" (unless

    you
    > have
    > > an NTBACKUP with Exchange selected)
    > >
    > > Edward Lee wrote:
    > >
    > > > Per MS tech support, I formatted, reinstalled, and did full restore

    from
    > > > backup today. Spent 4 hours on phone with MS support to resolve a

    > problem
    > > > that had stopped my server from booting.
    > > >
    > > > After doing the restore (using Veritas Backup Exec v7.3), it appears

    > that I
    > > > don't have a backup of my information store. I was doing full backups

    > and
    > > > getting "successful" messages nightly. Not sure what happended
    > > >
    > > > Am I SOL, or is there some miracle that can be worked?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Ed Lee

  5. Re: Disaster

    I thought I was running OFO. However, as far as I can tell now, I actually
    was not. There's no trace of priv.edb or pub.edb on my backup tape. I was
    running these full backups nightly and getting messages stating
    "successful." I had no idea files were being missed.

    Damn good thing I don't own a gun right now.

    Thanks for your help,
    Ed Lee

    > > Thanks for the quick reply Ken. I do not have the Exchange module. I

    > thought
    > > I read in the manual that Backup Exec COULD backup open files. I thought

    > the
    > > Exchange module was only necessary if one wanted to be able to backup

    and
    > > restore individual mailboxes. Wow did I screw up!
    > >
    > > Ed Lee
    > >
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > > Did you have the exchange module, and were you selecting the IS and

    DS
    > > for
    > > > your backups?
    > > >
    > > > If so, you should be OK.
    > > >

    > > > If not, you are indeed SOL, since as long as Exchange is running,

    > neither
    > > IS or
    > > > DS can be backed up since Exchange has them "open exclusive" (unless

    > you
    > > have
    > > > an NTBACKUP with Exchange selected)

    > from