Upgrades Available? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Upgrades Available? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Two questions from a BE newbie: 1. I'm taking over an NT shop that is currently running BE v7.01, Build 1616 Single Server Edition on our NT4 (sp6) fileserver. This machine also runs Exchange v5.0 (sp2). We are NOT running ...

  1. Upgrades Available?

    Two questions from a BE newbie:

    1. I'm taking over an NT shop that is currently running BE v7.01, Build
    1616 Single Server Edition on our NT4 (sp6) fileserver. This machine also
    runs Exchange v5.0 (sp2).

    We are NOT running an exchange agent.

    Can someone tell me if there are any upgrades that are available free of
    charge, and how to obtain them? For example, I would expect that I could go
    to 7.4 without buying anything. I've spent some time on their web site, but
    the only way to talk to a human being is through the paid support line. I
    sent a message with this query on 8/27, but haven't received any response.

    2. There is a technote about backing up individual exchange mailboxes
    provided you have at least v7.2 of BE. Can someone give me a quick pro &
    con analysis of doing this versus buying and using the exchange agent?

    Thanks for your help!

    Mark

  2. Re: Upgrades Available?

    1) V7.01.1616 is the last free upgrade for v7.0/v7.01 users. v7.3/v7.3 is
    a paid upgrade

    2) To do a mailbox backup, you still need an Exchange Agent. See http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    for a discussion of why the Veritas implementation of BLBs is not recommended.

    &
    >con analysis of doing this versus buying and using the exchange agent?
    >
    >Thanks for your help!
    >
    >Mark

  3. Re: Upgrades Available?

    Thanks, Ken. Is there a compelling reason to upgrade to7.3, or should I
    just buy the Exchange Agent for 7.01.....and do you have any idea of the
    current prices? I've been on hold on the sales line for 30 minutes so far -
    the music is nice, but not very helpful.... ;-)

    Do our current backups skip the mailboxes altogether or is it just easier to
    restore them with the agent?

    Thanks again...

    Mark

    Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b951aef$1@hronntp01....

    > 1) V7.01.1616 is the last free upgrade for v7.0/v7.01 users. v7.3/v7.3

    is
    > a paid upgrade
    >
    > 2) To do a mailbox backup, you still need an Exchange Agent. See

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    > for a discussion of why the Veritas implementation of BLBs is not

    recommended.

    > "Mark Draa" wrote:
    > >Two questions from a BE newbie:
    > >
    > >1. I'm taking over an NT shop that is currently running BE v7.01, Build
    > >1616 Single Server Edition on our NT4 (sp6) fileserver. This machine

    also
    > >runs Exchange v5.0 (sp2).
    > >
    > >We are NOT running an exchange agent.
    > >
    > >Can someone tell me if there are any upgrades that are available free of
    > >charge, and how to obtain them? For example, I would expect that I could

    > go
    > >to 7.4 without buying anything. I've spent some time on their web site,

    > but
    > >the only way to talk to a human being is through the paid support line.

    > >sent a message with this query on 8/27, but haven't received any

    response.

    > >2. There is a technote about backing up individual exchange mailboxes
    > >provided you have at least v7.2 of BE. Can someone give me a quick pro

    > &
    > >con analysis of doing this versus buying and using the exchange agent?
    > >
    > >Thanks for your help!
    > >
    > >Mark

  4. Re: Upgrades Available?

    If you don't have a copy of the Exchange Agent, then you are not getting hot
    backups - ie are not backing up Exchange while it is running. the only way
    to backup Exchange would be to shut it down and get a flat backup (recommended
    occaisionally, but not for regular backups)

    If v7.01 is otherwise working, I'd say that you should stay with that. v7.2/v7.3
    are probably no longer available (v8.6 is the current release)

    -
    >the music is nice, but not very helpful.... ;-)
    >
    >Do our current backups skip the mailboxes altogether or is it just easier

    >restore them with the agent?
    >
    >Thanks again...
    >
    >Mark
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b951aef$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> 1) V7.01.1616 is the last free upgrade for v7.0/v7.01 users. v7.3/v7.3

    >is
    >> a paid upgrade
    >>
    >> 2) To do a mailbox backup, you still need an Exchange Agent. See

    >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >> for a discussion of why the Veritas implementation of BLBs is not

    >recommended.
    >>

    >> "Mark Draa" wrote:
    >> >Two questions from a BE newbie:
    >> >
    >> >1. I'm taking over an NT shop that is currently running BE v7.01, Build
    >> >1616 Single Server Edition on our NT4 (sp6) fileserver. This machine

    >also
    >> >runs Exchange v5.0 (sp2).
    >> >
    >> >We are NOT running an exchange agent.
    >> >
    >> >Can someone tell me if there are any upgrades that are available free

    of
    >> >charge, and how to obtain them? For example, I would expect that I could

    >> go
    >> >to 7.4 without buying anything. I've spent some time on their web site,

    >> but
    >> >the only way to talk to a human being is through the paid support line.

    >> >sent a message with this query on 8/27, but haven't received any

    >response.
    >> >

    >> >2. There is a technote about backing up individual exchange mailboxes
    >> >provided you have at least v7.2 of BE. Can someone give me a quick pro

    >> &
    >> >con analysis of doing this versus buying and using the exchange agent?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for your help!
    >> >
    >> >Mark

  5. Re: Upgrades Available?

    For some reason, I haven't been able to connect with veritas' news server
    for about the last hour - strange....

    Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b952026$1@hronntp01....

    > If you don't have a copy of the Exchange Agent, then you are not getting

    hot
    > backups - ie are not backing up Exchange while it is running. the only

    way
    > to backup Exchange would be to shut it down and get a flat backup

    (recommended
    > occaisionally, but not for regular backups)

    I see. Well I've got to fix this, then. Thanks.

    > If v7.01 is otherwise working, I'd say that you should stay with that.

    v7.2/v7.3
    > are probably no longer available (v8.6 is the current release)

    Veritas doesn't sell the exchange agent for 7.01 anymore, and I checked with
    a couple of vendors (pcconnection & pcwarehouse) and they only have the most
    current versions, too.

    Do you know of a source for the old versions? They're likely to be cheaper
    as well. If I have to upgrade the main product, and then buy the Exchange
    agent, I'll be spending about $800 w/o any support contract (best vendor
    price - list is about $1200). I can think of a bunch of better uses for
    that $ in my budget - kwim?

    Thanks,

    Mark

  6. Re: Upgrades Available?

    To double check whether the Exchange Agent is installed, from the GUI do a
    Help/About. This will display all installed serials.

    And no, I don't have a clue as to where you can get old serials. (We're
    talking 2 plus years old. here)

    (pardon my show of ignorance, but - "kwim"?)

    And yeah, it may seem like there are better places to spend $800 - til the
    Exchange Server dies and the President can't get to that memo that he needs.

    "Mark Draa" wrote:
    >For some reason, I haven't been able to connect with veritas' news server
    >for about the last hour - strange....
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b952026$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> If you don't have a copy of the Exchange Agent, then you are not getting

    >hot
    >> backups - ie are not backing up Exchange while it is running. the only

    >way
    >> to backup Exchange would be to shut it down and get a flat backup

    >(recommended
    >> occaisionally, but not for regular backups)
    >>

    >I see. Well I've got to fix this, then. Thanks.
    >
    >> If v7.01 is otherwise working, I'd say that you should stay with that.

    >v7.2/v7.3
    >> are probably no longer available (v8.6 is the current release)

    >Veritas doesn't sell the exchange agent for 7.01 anymore, and I checked

    with
    >a couple of vendors (pcconnection & pcwarehouse) and they only have the

    most
    >current versions, too.
    >
    >Do you know of a source for the old versions? They're likely to be cheaper
    >as well. If I have to upgrade the main product, and then buy the Exchange
    >agent, I'll be spending about $800 w/o any support contract (best vendor
    >price - list is about $1200). I can think of a bunch of better uses for
    >that $ in my budget - kwim?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Mark

  7. Re: Upgrades Available?

    restoring a deleted message is one thing, resurecting the complete Exchange
    Server is another.

    if you can't find the v7.01.1616 exchange agent, then I would definintely
    recommend shutting down Exchange (via a Pre-Job command) and getting a flat
    file backup at least once a week. or nightly if your window permits.

    "Mark Draa" wrote:

    >Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b953ad6$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> And no, I don't have a clue as to where you can get old serials. (We're
    >> talking 2 plus years old. here)

    >True enough. Besides, if the company had purchased the exchange agent when
    >they should have, with the original purchase of BE, then they wouldn't be
    >forced to upgrade now.
    >

    >> (pardon my show of ignorance, but - "kwim"?)
    >>

    >Know What I Mean?
    >
    >> And yeah, it may seem like there are better places to spend $800 - til

    the
    >> Exchange Server dies and the President can't get to that memo that he

    >needs.
    >>

    >Well, true enough, but I have to admit I haven't gotten a single request

    >restore a deleted message in the 8 months since I arrived, but then again,
    >there are only a couple dozen of us. Thanks for your help, Ken.
    >
    >Mark

  8. Re: Upgrades Available?

    Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b953ad6$1@hronntp01....

    > And no, I don't have a clue as to where you can get old serials. (We're
    > talking 2 plus years old. here)

    True enough. Besides, if the company had purchased the exchange agent when
    they should have, with the original purchase of BE, then they wouldn't be
    forced to upgrade now.

    > (pardon my show of ignorance, but - "kwim"?)

    Know What I Mean?

    > And yeah, it may seem like there are better places to spend $800 - til the
    > Exchange Server dies and the President can't get to that memo that he

    needs.

    Well, true enough, but I have to admit I haven't gotten a single request to
    restore a deleted message in the 8 months since I arrived, but then again,
    there are only a couple dozen of us. Thanks for your help, Ken.

    Mark

  9. Re: Upgrades Available?

    You use the "NET STOP XXXXX" and NET START XXXXX" commands to stop and start
    services. (where xxxx is the service name) Create a CMD or BAT file that
    has all the necessary entries and call that from the PRE and POST commadn
    fields.

    "Mark Draa" wrote:

    >Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b953efa$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> restoring a deleted message is one thing, resurecting the complete

    >Exchange
    >> Server is another.
    >>
    >> if you can't find the v7.01.1616 exchange agent, then I would definintely
    >> recommend shutting down Exchange (via a Pre-Job command) and getting a

    >flat
    >> file backup at least once a week. or nightly if your window permits.

    >Do you mean just stopping all of the exchange services, or something more
    >complicated?
    >
    >BE (at least my v7.01 anyway) allows you only to enter a program name in

    the
    >pre & post job program boxes. In a prior life at a Netware shop, we had

    >set of elaborate batch files that would shut down our oracle server (that
    >was running on an NT box) and do a database export before the backup ran

    (we
    >were using Arcserve), then start the thing running again after the backup.
    >Unfortunately, I can't remember the details on those batch files.
    >
    >I've looked through my Exchange & NT bibles, and can't find a reference

    on
    >how to stop a service via the command line. I see reference to the START
    >command, but no equivalent STOP command. Plus I would need to know the
    >actual program names of the individual services (assuming they exist as
    >executables).
    >
    >How should I proceed?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Mark

  10. Re: Upgrades Available?

    Ken Putnam wrote in message news:3b953efa$1@hronntp01....

    > restoring a deleted message is one thing, resurecting the complete

    Exchange
    > Server is another.
    >
    > if you can't find the v7.01.1616 exchange agent, then I would definintely
    > recommend shutting down Exchange (via a Pre-Job command) and getting a

    flat
    > file backup at least once a week. or nightly if your window permits.

    Do you mean just stopping all of the exchange services, or something more
    complicated?

    BE (at least my v7.01 anyway) allows you only to enter a program name in the
    pre & post job program boxes. In a prior life at a Netware shop, we had a
    set of elaborate batch files that would shut down our oracle server (that
    was running on an NT box) and do a database export before the backup ran (we
    were using Arcserve), then start the thing running again after the backup.
    Unfortunately, I can't remember the details on those batch files.

    I've looked through my Exchange & NT bibles, and can't find a reference on
    how to stop a service via the command line. I see reference to the START
    command, but no equivalent STOP command. Plus I would need to know the
    actual program names of the individual services (assuming they exist as
    executables).

    How should I proceed?

    TIA

    Mark

  11. Re: Upgrades Available?

    Ah yes, that was it. I just needed a memory jog. Thanks.

    Mark

    > >> restoring a deleted message is one thing, resurecting the complete

    > >Exchange
    > >> Server is another.
    > >>
    > >> if you can't find the v7.01.1616 exchange agent, then I would

    definintely
    > >> recommend shutting down Exchange (via a Pre-Job command) and getting a

    > >flat
    > >> file backup at least once a week. or nightly if your window permits.

    > >Do you mean just stopping all of the exchange services, or something more
    > >complicated?
    > >
    > >BE (at least my v7.01 anyway) allows you only to enter a program name in

    > the
    > >pre & post job program boxes. In a prior life at a Netware shop, we had

    > >set of elaborate batch files that would shut down our oracle server (that
    > >was running on an NT box) and do a database export before the backup ran

    > (we
    > >were using Arcserve), then start the thing running again after the

    backup.
    > >Unfortunately, I can't remember the details on those batch files.
    > >
    > >I've looked through my Exchange & NT bibles, and can't find a reference

    > on
    > >how to stop a service via the command line. I see reference to the START
    > >command, but no equivalent STOP command. Plus I would need to know the
    > >actual program names of the individual services (assuming they exist as
    > >executables).
    > >
    > >How should I proceed?
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >
    > >Mark