SOME SERVERS GREYED OUT?????? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SOME SERVERS GREYED OUT?????? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have recently installed BENT/2000 8.5 on a WIN2K SRV running in a NT 4.0 domain. Some servers are greyd out, and others arent. The BU account I used is a Domain Admin, and has local admin rights to all ...

  1. SOME SERVERS GREYED OUT??????

    I have recently installed BENT/2000 8.5 on a WIN2K SRV running in a NT 4.0
    domain. Some servers are greyd out, and others arent. The BU account I used
    is a Domain Admin, and has local admin rights to all servers. I cannot even
    back up the local drive of the backup server ( itself ) It is also greyed
    out?

    Am I missing something here?

    any advise would be appreciated

    -thanks

  2. Re: SOME SERVERS GREYED OUT??????

    Have you installed the remote Agent on all the remote servers?

    Are the Admin shares defined on the BENT server?\

    "Sam Foster" wrote:

    >I have recently installed BENT/2000 8.5 on a WIN2K SRV running in a NT 4.0
    >domain. Some servers are greyd out, and others arent. The BU account I used
    >is a Domain Admin, and has local admin rights to all servers. I cannot even
    >back up the local drive of the backup server ( itself ) It is also greyed
    >out?
    >
    >Am I missing something here?
    >
    >any advise would be appreciated
    >
    >-thanks

  3. Re: SOME SERVERS GREYED OUT??????

    the Remote Agent is nothing more that a backup compression util for a speedy
    backup, however I have installed it. I have also manually defined the adminishares,
    and still errors out with:

    Unable to attach to \\server\C$.
    Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\server\C$.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Job ended: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 at 1:17:29 PM
    Job completion status: Failed

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Have you installed the remote Agent on all the remote servers?
    >
    >Are the Admin shares defined on the BENT server?\
    >

    >"Sam Foster" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have recently installed BENT/2000 8.5 on a WIN2K SRV running in a NT

    4.0
    >>domain. Some servers are greyd out, and others arent. The BU account I

    used
    >>is a Domain Admin, and has local admin rights to all servers. I cannot

    even
    >>back up the local drive of the backup server ( itself ) It is also greyed
    >>out?
    >>
    >>Am I missing something here?
    >>
    >>any advise would be appreciated
    >>
    >>-thanks

  4. Re: SOME SERVERS GREYED OUT??????

    With v7.x, yes the NTAA was primarily a compression/streaming agent. Since
    v8.0, however, it is also a license management tool.

    it sounds like you have BENT installed on a W2K server and are attempting
    to backup a W2K Advanced Server. To backup AS, you need the AS version of
    BENT. To backup the DataCenter OS you need the DC version of BENT.

    "Sam Foster" wrote:

    >the Remote Agent is nothing more that a backup compression util for a speedy
    >backup, however I have installed it. I have also manually defined the adminishares,
    >and still errors out with:
    >
    >Unable to attach to \\server\C$.
    >Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.
    >

    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >Unable to attach to \\server\C$.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    >================================================== ====================
    >Job ended: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 at 1:17:29 PM
    >Job completion status: Failed
    >================================================== ====================
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Have you installed the remote Agent on all the remote servers?
    >>
    >>Are the Admin shares defined on the BENT server?\
    >>

    >>"Sam Foster" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have recently installed BENT/2000 8.5 on a WIN2K SRV running in a NT

    >4.0
    >>>domain. Some servers are greyd out, and others arent. The BU account I

    >used
    >>>is a Domain Admin, and has local admin rights to all servers. I cannot

    >even
    >>>back up the local drive of the backup server ( itself ) It is also greyed
    >>>out?
    >>>
    >>>Am I missing something here?
    >>>
    >>>any advise would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>>-thanks

  5. Re: SOME SERVERS GREYED OUT??????

    Ken - Thanks for the input - FYI - I have resolved it, it is a licensing issue.
    I upgrade to 8.6, I have to purchase all of the licenses for it now. Problem
    resolved!

    -sam

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >With v7.x, yes the NTAA was primarily a compression/streaming agent. Since
    >v8.0, however, it is also a license management tool.
    >
    >it sounds like you have BENT installed on a W2K server and are attempting
    >to backup a W2K Advanced Server. To backup AS, you need the AS version

    of
    >BENT. To backup the DataCenter OS you need the DC version of BENT.
    >
    >"Sam Foster" wrote:
    >>
    >>the Remote Agent is nothing more that a backup compression util for a speedy
    >>backup, however I have installed it. I have also manually defined the adminishares,
    >>and still errors out with:
    >>
    >>Unable to attach to \\server\C$.
    >>Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.
    >>

    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>Unable to attach to \\server\C$.
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >>================================================== ====================
    >>Job ended: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 at 1:17:29 PM
    >>Job completion status: Failed
    >>

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Have you installed the remote Agent on all the remote servers?
    >>>
    >>>Are the Admin shares defined on the BENT server?\

    >>4.0

    >>used

    >>even

+ Reply to Thread