Servers - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Servers - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a copy of Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000. When I bought the software we only had one server (with a int DDS4 backup drive), now we have bought a second server win win2000 server on it (also got ...

  1. Servers

    I have a copy of Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000. When I bought the software we only had one server (with a int DDS4 backup drive), now we have bought a second server win win2000 server on it (also got an int DDS4 drive). Should I be able to access the backup drive on the second server from the main one, or do I have to buy this SAN version.

    So what I'm saying is. Should Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000 be able to control multiple servers and there int DDS drives, or do I need to buy the SAN version.

    Thanks

    Neil

  2. Re: Servers

    You need to purchase a copy of EBNT for each server that "owns" a tape
    device.

    Neil Harding wrote:

    > I have a copy of Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000. When I bought the
    > software we only had one server (with a int DDS4 backup drive), now we
    > have bought a second server win win2000 server on it (also got an int
    > DDS4 drive). Should I be able to access the backup drive on the
    > second server from the main one, or do I have to buy this SAN
    > version. So what I'm saying is. Should Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000 be
    > able to control multiple servers and there int DDS drives, or do I
    > need to buy the SAN version. Thanks Neil

  3. Re: Servers

    What's EBNT?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > You need to purchase a copy of EBNT for each server that "owns" a tape
    > device.
    >
    > Neil Harding wrote:
    >
    > > I have a copy of Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000. When I bought the
    > > software we only had one server (with a int DDS4 backup drive), now we
    > > have bought a second server win win2000 server on it (also got an int
    > > DDS4 drive). Should I be able to access the backup drive on the
    > > second server from the main one, or do I have to buy this SAN
    > > version. So what I'm saying is. Should Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000 be
    > > able to control multiple servers and there int DDS drives, or do I
    > > need to buy the SAN version. Thanks Neil

  4. Re: Servers

    I think he meant BENT and that stands for (B)ackup (E)xec for Windows
    (NT)
    "Neil Harding" wrote in message
    > What's EBNT?
    >

    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > You need to purchase a copy of EBNT for each server that "owns" a tape
    > > device.
    > >
    > > Neil Harding wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a copy of Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000. When I bought the
    > > > software we only had one server (with a int DDS4 backup drive), now we
    > > > have bought a second server win win2000 server on it (also got an int
    > > > DDS4 drive). Should I be able to access the backup drive on the
    > > > second server from the main one, or do I have to buy this SAN
    > > > version. So what I'm saying is. Should Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000 be
    > > > able to control multiple servers and there int DDS drives, or do I
    > > > need to buy the SAN version. Thanks Neil

  5. Re: Servers

    That's a fat-fingered BENT

    "Neil Harding" wrote:
    >What's EBNT?
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >> You need to purchase a copy of EBNT for each server that "owns" a tape
    >> device.
    >>
    >> Neil Harding wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a copy of Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000. When I bought the
    >> > software we only had one server (with a int DDS4 backup drive), now

    we
    >> > have bought a second server win win2000 server on it (also got an int
    >> > DDS4 drive). Should I be able to access the backup drive on the
    >> > second server from the main one, or do I have to buy this SAN
    >> > version. So what I'm saying is. Should Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/2000

    be
    >> > able to control multiple servers and there int DDS drives, or do I
    >> > need to buy the SAN version. Thanks Neil

  6. Re: Servers

    If a buy a copy of BENT for the second server, will the main server be able
    to see the other backup drive??
    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > That's a fat-fingered BENT
    >
    > "Neil Harding" wrote:
    > >What's EBNT?
    > >

    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >> You need to purchase a copy of EBNT for each server that "owns" a tape
    > >> device.

    > we

    > be

  7. Re: Servers

    Nope.

    You'll need to set up the second BENT server and create jobs on each such
    that all your servers/data is backed up.

    "Neil Harding" wrote:
    >If a buy a copy of BENT for the second server, will the main server be able
    >to see the other backup drive??
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> That's a fat-fingered BENT
    >>
    >> "Neil Harding" wrote:
    >> >What's EBNT?
    >> >

    >> >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    tape

    >> we

    int

    >> be

  8. Re: Servers

    Thanks for your help!

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Nope.
    >
    > You'll need to set up the second BENT server and create jobs on each such
    > that all your servers/data is backed up.
    >
    > "Neil Harding" wrote:
    > >If a buy a copy of BENT for the second server, will the main server be

    able
    > >to see the other backup drive??
    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> That's a fat-fingered BENT