Best way to back up 200 gigs - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Best way to back up 200 gigs - Veritas Backup Exec ; Greg, I'm curious, how much data are you currently backing up and how long does your backup take? Looks like your only option is to install another loader, or (much) higher capacity backup drive such as DLT/LTO. Run the backup ...

  1. Re: Best way to back up 200 gigs

    Greg,
    I'm curious, how much data are you currently backing up and how long does
    your backup take?

    Looks like your only option is to install another loader, or (much) higher
    capacity backup drive such as DLT/LTO. Run the backup simultaneously on 2
    different tape drives.

    Ron

    "Greg" wrote in message

    > Ken,
    >
    > You're right, however, about 95% of our files are digital images that

    cannot
    > be compressed. The 40 gigs is in compressed format, so we're basically

    using
    > the 20 gig native format.
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >
    > >Isn't DDS4 20/40 capacity? 120GB on 6 tapes is only 20 GB per tape.
    > >
    > >Verify from devices/right click/properties that hardware compression is

    > enabled.
    > >Have you tried software compression?
    > >
    > >"Greg" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>I have a multi loader with 6x DDS4 tapes on a NT 4 server. What is the

    > best
    > >>way to back up 200 gigs of data. It seems that 120 gigs fit in one

    magazine
    > >>of 6 tapes. I have hardware compression enabled. I don't want to install
    > >>another multi-loader drive. Any ideas?

  2. Best way to back up 200 gigs

    I have a multi loader with 6x DDS4 tapes on a NT 4 server. What is the best
    way to back up 200 gigs of data. It seems that 120 gigs fit in one magazine
    of 6 tapes. I have hardware compression enabled. I don't want to install
    another multi-loader drive. Any ideas?

  3. Re: Best way to back up 200 gigs

    "Greg" wrote:

    >I have a multi loader with 6x DDS4 tapes on a NT 4 server. What is the best
    >way to back up 200 gigs of data. It seems that 120 gigs fit in one magazine
    >of 6 tapes. I have hardware compression enabled. I don't want to install
    >another multi-loader drive. Any ideas?

  4. Re: Best way to back up 200 gigs

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Isn't DDS4 20/40 capacity? 120GB on 6 tapes is only 20 GB per tape.
    >
    >Verify from devices/right click/properties that hardware compression is

    enabled.
    >Have you tried software compression?
    >
    >"Greg" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a multi loader with 6x DDS4 tapes on a NT 4 server. What is the

    best
    >>way to back up 200 gigs of data. It seems that 120 gigs fit in one magazine
    >>of 6 tapes. I have hardware compression enabled. I don't want to install
    >>another multi-loader drive. Any ideas?

  5. Re: Best way to back up 200 gigs

    In that case, I'd say that you are SOL

    (Unless you can backup on alternate night or some such - or pay someone to
    swap magazines at zero dark thirty every night)

    "Greg" wrote:

    >Ken,
    >
    >You're right, however, about 95% of our files are digital images that cannot
    >be compressed. The 40 gigs is in compressed format, so we're basically using
    >the 20 gig native format.
    >
    >Greg
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Isn't DDS4 20/40 capacity? 120GB on 6 tapes is only 20 GB per tape.
    >>
    >>Verify from devices/right click/properties that hardware compression is

    >enabled.
    >>Have you tried software compression?
    >>
    >>"Greg" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have a multi loader with 6x DDS4 tapes on a NT 4 server. What is the

    >best
    >>>way to back up 200 gigs of data. It seems that 120 gigs fit in one magazine
    >>>of 6 tapes. I have hardware compression enabled. I don't want to install
    >>>another multi-loader drive. Any ideas?

  6. Re: Best way to back up 200 gigs

    Gosh... it takes me about 30 min per gig to backup and verify my network....
    at that rate we're talking about 100 hours for you???

    HP's Ultrium Tape Drives claim that they can back up 200 gigs on one tape,
    averaging 100 gigs per hour (no verification I assume).

    "Greg" wrote in message

    > I have a multi loader with 6x DDS4 tapes on a NT 4 server. What is the

    best
    > way to back up 200 gigs of data. It seems that 120 gigs fit in one

    magazine
    > of 6 tapes. I have hardware compression enabled. I don't want to install
    > another multi-loader drive. Any ideas?

  7. Re: Best way to back up 200 gigs

    Ron,

    I currently backup about 120 gigs and it takes almost 13 hours for the backup,
    of course I have divide the backup in two since the magazine can only support
    120 gigs in native format. The second half of the back up is just about 100
    gigs. This is all digital images. So as you can see, it's a pain.

    Greg

    "Ron" wrote:
    >Greg,
    >I'm curious, how much data are you currently backing up and how long does
    >your backup take?
    >
    >Looks like your only option is to install another loader, or (much) higher
    >capacity backup drive such as DLT/LTO. Run the backup simultaneously on

    2
    >different tape drives.
    >
    >Ron
    >
    >"Greg" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ken,
    >>
    >> You're right, however, about 95% of our files are digital images that

    >cannot
    >> be compressed. The 40 gigs is in compressed format, so we're basically

    >using
    >> the 20 gig native format.
    >>
    >> Greg
    >>
    >> "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Isn't DDS4 20/40 capacity? 120GB on 6 tapes is only 20 GB per tape.
    >> >
    >> >Verify from devices/right click/properties that hardware compression

    is
    >> enabled.
    >> >Have you tried software compression?

    >> best

    >magazine

  8. Re: Best way to back up 200 gigs

    We're using a multiple drive arrangement that seems to work.
    (mostly;-)
    It consists of 16 Benchmark/Overland Data DLT1 drives (about
    $1200 ea.) in rack mount cases. A Compaq ML370 with 2 2-channel
    Adaptec LVD cards and a gig card to the network feeds 4 4-drive
    racks.
    I run 4 concurrent jobs that collect about 150 gigs per full
    backup on 68 servers.
    The biggest problem is preventing overlap (actually have an
    offsite duplicate of this system too) and dealing with various
    network hiccups that make the 114 jobs shift around and/or fail.
    Umm - yeah, got a lotta tapes to keep track of too... 12 weeks
    times 16.

    cheers,
    David

    "Greg" wrote:

    >Ron,
    >
    >I currently backup about 120 gigs and it takes almost 13 hours for the backup,
    >of course I have divide the backup in two since the magazine can only support
    >120 gigs in native format. The second half of the back up is just about

    100
    >gigs. This is all digital images. So as you can see, it's a pain.
    >
    >Greg
    >
    >"Ron" wrote:
    >>Greg,
    >>I'm curious, how much data are you currently backing up and how long does
    >>your backup take?
    >>
    >>Looks like your only option is to install another loader, or (much) higher
    >>capacity backup drive such as DLT/LTO. Run the backup simultaneously on

    >2
    >>different tape drives.
    >>
    >>Ron
    >>
    >>"Greg" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Ken,
    >>>
    >>> You're right, however, about 95% of our files are digital images that

    >>cannot
    >>> be compressed. The 40 gigs is in compressed format, so we're basically

    >>using
    >>> the 20 gig native format.
    >>>
    >>> Greg

    >is