Back Up Compression - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Back Up Compression - Veritas Backup Exec ; What do yo mean "unable to complete"? the job doesn't fit on one tape? the job errors out? Attach a sample job log. Have you tried Software Compression instead? "Victor" wrote: >OK, Here goes my question again. I have a ...

  1. Re: Back Up Compression

    "Victor" wrote:
    >OK, Here goes my question again. I have a Seagate STD224000N Scorpion 24
    >DDS3 tape drive on a Windows 2000 Server and am using BENT 8.5. Everytime

    >schedule a backup and choose to use "Hardware Compression" it never works.

    >have made sure a the correct jumper settings are set on the drive itself,
    >but still am unable to complete a compressed backup. Anyone else have this
    >proble?

  2. Back Up Compression

    OK, Here goes my question again. I have a Seagate STD224000N Scorpion 24
    DDS3 tape drive on a Windows 2000 Server and am using BENT 8.5. Everytime I
    schedule a backup and choose to use "Hardware Compression" it never works. I
    have made sure a the correct jumper settings are set on the drive itself,
    but still am unable to complete a compressed backup. Anyone else have this
    proble?

  3. Re: Back Up Compression

    Let me elaborate:
    - Full Backup is completed successfully without compression.

    - So the complete job does not fit onto one tape. I am backing up about
    20GB, that should fit on 1 DDS3 tape compressed.

    - I have tried both Hardware compression only, and the other option if
    Hardware compression is not available, then use Software compression.

    - Will put software log up in a few.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > What do yo mean "unable to complete"?
    >
    > the job doesn't fit on one tape?
    > the job errors out?
    >
    > Attach a sample job log.
    >
    > Have you tried Software Compression instead?
    >
    > "Victor" wrote:
    > >OK, Here goes my question again. I have a Seagate STD224000N Scorpion 24
    > >DDS3 tape drive on a Windows 2000 Server and am using BENT 8.5. Everytime

    > >schedule a backup and choose to use "Hardware Compression" it never

    works.
    > >have made sure a the correct jumper settings are set on the drive itself,
    > >but still am unable to complete a compressed backup. Anyone else have

    this
    > >proble?

  4. Re: Back Up Compression

    DDS-3 is 12/24 rated, correct

    That would be 12 GB native and 24GB at 2:1 compression. 2:1 is rarely seen
    in the real world. I usually figure about 1.3:1 so 20 GB ain't doing badly
    at all

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

    "Victor" wrote:
    >Let me elaborate:
    >- Full Backup is completed successfully without compression.
    >
    >- So the complete job does not fit onto one tape. I am backing up about
    >20GB, that should fit on 1 DDS3 tape compressed.
    >
    >- I have tried both Hardware compression only, and the other option if
    >Hardware compression is not available, then use Software compression.
    >
    >- Will put software log up in a few.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> What do yo mean "unable to complete"?
    >>
    >> the job doesn't fit on one tape?
    >> the job errors out?
    >>
    >> Attach a sample job log.
    >>
    >> Have you tried Software Compression instead?
    >>
    >> "Victor" wrote:
    >> >OK, Here goes my question again. I have a Seagate STD224000N Scorpion

    24
    >> >DDS3 tape drive on a Windows 2000 Server and am using BENT 8.5. Everytime

    >> >schedule a backup and choose to use "Hardware Compression" it never

    >works.
    >> >have made sure a the correct jumper settings are set on the drive itself,
    >> >but still am unable to complete a compressed backup. Anyone else have

    >this
    >> >proble?

  5. Re: Back Up Compression

    That's correct, but I only 1:1 at all times. I was hoping to get some
    compression.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > DDS-3 is 12/24 rated, correct
    >
    > That would be 12 GB native and 24GB at 2:1 compression. 2:1 is rarely

    seen
    > in the real world. I usually figure about 1.3:1 so 20 GB ain't doing

    badly
    > at all
    >
    > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm
    >
    > "Victor" wrote:
    > >Let me elaborate:
    > >- Full Backup is completed successfully without compression.
    > >
    > >- So the complete job does not fit onto one tape. I am backing up about
    > >20GB, that should fit on 1 DDS3 tape compressed.
    > >
    > >- I have tried both Hardware compression only, and the other option if
    > >Hardware compression is not available, then use Software compression.
    > >
    > >- Will put software log up in a few.
    > >
    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> What do yo mean "unable to complete"?
    > >>
    > >> the job doesn't fit on one tape?
    > >> the job errors out?
    > >>
    > >> Attach a sample job log.
    > >>
    > >> Have you tried Software Compression instead?

    > 24

    Everytime

    > >works.

    itself,

    > >this

  6. Re: Back Up Compression

    How are you backing up 20GB onto a 12 GB tape? DDS3 is only 12 GB
    native. With compression you might get close to 24GB depending on your
    data. So your compression must be enabled. Maybe the hardware jumper
    on the drive overrides the software setting. Remember that DAT drives
    use hardware compression.

    Dan

    Victor wrote:

    > That's correct, but I only 1:1 at all times. I was hoping to get some
    > compression.
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >
    > > DDS-3 is 12/24 rated, correct
    > >
    > > That would be 12 GB native and 24GB at 2:1 compression. 2:1 is rarely

    > seen
    > > in the real world. I usually figure about 1.3:1 so 20 GB ain't doing

    > badly
    > > at all
    > >
    > > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm
    > >
    > > "Victor" wrote:
    > > >Let me elaborate:
    > > >- Full Backup is completed successfully without compression.
    > > >
    > > >- So the complete job does not fit onto one tape. I am backing up about
    > > >20GB, that should fit on 1 DDS3 tape compressed.
    > > >
    > > >- I have tried both Hardware compression only, and the other option if
    > > >Hardware compression is not available, then use Software compression.
    > > >
    > > >- Will put software log up in a few.
    > > >
    > > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > > 24

    > Everytime
    > > >works.

    > itself,
    > > >this

  7. Re: Back Up Compression

    I'm not! I am trying to get the 20GB to be compressed and backed up on 1
    tape. I figure if I get some good compresssion it could be done using 1
    tape. I have checked and re-checked the jumper settings, hardware
    compression is the only copression type available. All jumpers have been set

    "Dan Star" wrote in message
    > How are you backing up 20GB onto a 12 GB tape? DDS3 is only 12 GB
    > native. With compression you might get close to 24GB depending on your
    > data. So your compression must be enabled. Maybe the hardware jumper
    > on the drive overrides the software setting. Remember that DAT drives
    > use hardware compression.
    >
    > Dan
    >

    > Victor wrote:
    > >
    > > That's correct, but I only 1:1 at all times. I was hoping to get some
    > > compression.
    > >
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > DDS-3 is 12/24 rated, correct
    > > >
    > > > That would be 12 GB native and 24GB at 2:1 compression. 2:1 is rarely

    > > seen
    > > > in the real world. I usually figure about 1.3:1 so 20 GB ain't doing

    > > badly
    > > > at all
    > > >
    > > > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

    about

    if

    Scorpion
    > > > 24

    > > Everytime

    never

    > > itself,

    have

  8. Re: Back Up Compression

    Have you tried software compression? you won't get exactly the same compression
    ratio, but it'll be close.

    "Victor" wrote:
    >I'm not! I am trying to get the 20GB to be compressed and backed up on 1
    >tape. I figure if I get some good compresssion it could be done using 1
    >tape. I have checked and re-checked the jumper settings, hardware
    >compression is the only copression type available. All jumpers have been

    set
    >to use hardware compression.
    >
    >"Dan Star" wrote in message
    >> How are you backing up 20GB onto a 12 GB tape? DDS3 is only 12 GB
    >> native. With compression you might get close to 24GB depending on your
    >> data. So your compression must be enabled. Maybe the hardware jumper
    >> on the drive overrides the software setting. Remember that DAT drives
    >> use hardware compression.
    >>
    >> Dan
    >>

    >> Victor wrote:
    >> >
    >> > That's correct, but I only 1:1 at all times. I was hoping to get some
    >> > compression.
    >> >
    >> > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    >> > seen
    >> > badly

    >about

    >if

    >Scorpion
    >> > Everytime

    >never
    >> > itself,

    >have

  9. Re: Back Up Compression

    Sorry, misread the message I replied to. Could very well be that your
    data can not be compressed down to <=12GB. If your data is not highly
    compressible, then it is unlikely you will get down to 12GB. It a trade
    off: if the backup spent all its time compressing the data, the backups
    could be excruciatingly long and there could be timing problems with the
    tape drive. Good luck. Maybe upgrade to a DDS4 drive which will give
    you 20GB uncompressed.

    Dan

    Victor wrote:

    > I'm not! I am trying to get the 20GB to be compressed and backed up on 1
    > tape. I figure if I get some good compresssion it could be done using 1
    > tape. I have checked and re-checked the jumper settings, hardware
    > compression is the only copression type available. All jumpers have been set
    > to use hardware compression.
    >
    > "Dan Star" wrote in message
    > > How are you backing up 20GB onto a 12 GB tape? DDS3 is only 12 GB
    > > native. With compression you might get close to 24GB depending on your
    > > data. So your compression must be enabled. Maybe the hardware jumper
    > > on the drive overrides the software setting. Remember that DAT drives
    > > use hardware compression.
    > >
    > > Dan
    > >

    > > Victor wrote:
    > > >
    > > > That's correct, but I only 1:1 at all times. I was hoping to get some
    > > > compression.
    > > >
    > > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > > > seen
    > > > badly