Always <Blank media> on "old" allready used tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Always <Blank media> on "old" allready used tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi! I'm using BackupExec 8.6 with Win2K and OnStream SC50. In 9 of 10 times, if I insert a previously used tape, the tape isn't recognized and it's handled like a . It doesn't matter, if I start "Inventory" or ...

  1. Always <Blank media> on "old" allready used tapes

    Hi!

    I'm using BackupExec 8.6 with Win2K and OnStream SC50.

    In 9 of 10 times, if I insert a previously used
    tape, the tape isn't recognized and it's handled
    like a . It doesn't matter, if I
    start "Inventory" or if I start a new backup-job.
    So, on a new backup-job, the media (which e.g.
    had the label "OnStream005") is inserted, this
    tape for BE seems to be blank and therefore gets
    a new label e.g. OnStream041, so I have to
    different tapes OnStream005 and OnStream041 in the
    media-library, which links to the same physical
    tape - also the Media-ID of the two tapes are
    different!!

    I had the same problem with BE 8.5 on Win2K - on
    BE 8.5 under NT4.0 this problem never occurs.

    Any ideas?!?

    Steff

  2. Re: Always <Blank media> on "old" allready used tapes

    Steff,

    I've had the same @#$$% problem for some time now...
    I'm running BENT 8.5 Build 3572, and more often than not,
    tapes show as when I inventory them.

    My workaround is to go to the Media tab, select the tape I
    have in the SC50, and Catalog it. The drive reads the tape,
    spits it out and BE prompts for the proper tape; I stick the
    SAME tape back into the drive, and it (usually) accepts it as
    the desired tape, correct label and all. The backup and verify
    proceed normally.

    Making sure the drive is cleaned well may help with reading of
    the labels, but my experience points to a problem within BENT 8.x
    and the NT driver for the SC50. I had no problems with 7.5 and
    the Onstream Echo software with label issues. I've used 3 SC50s,
    in two different servers. Build 3572 helped a bit, but the
    problem persists. Veritas, are you listening?

    "Steff" wrote:
    >Hi!
    >
    >I'm using BackupExec 8.6 with Win2K and OnStream SC50.
    >
    >In 9 of 10 times, if I insert a previously used
    >tape, the tape isn't recognized and it's handled
    >like a . It doesn't matter, if I
    >start "Inventory" or if I start a new backup-job.
    >So, on a new backup-job, the media (which e.g.
    >had the label "OnStream005") is inserted, this
    >tape for BE seems to be blank and therefore gets
    >a new label e.g. OnStream041, so I have to
    >different tapes OnStream005 and OnStream041 in the
    >media-library, which links to the same physical
    >tape - also the Media-ID of the two tapes are
    >different!!
    >
    >I had the same problem with BE 8.5 on Win2K - on
    >BE 8.5 under NT4.0 this problem never occurs.
    >
    >Any ideas?!?
    >
    > Steff

+ Reply to Thread