Can other products read Backup Exec Tape? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can other products read Backup Exec Tape? - Veritas Backup Exec ; My datacenter has given me an AIT-1 tape with a SQL2000 database for analysis by my department. The tape was created with Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000. How can I read this tape? Please don't tell me ...

  1. Can other products read Backup Exec Tape?

    My datacenter has given me an AIT-1 tape with a SQL2000 database for
    analysis by my department. The tape was created with Backup Exec for Windows
    NT and Windows 2000. How can I read this tape? Please don't tell me I need
    to buy a full version of Backup Exec to read it. (Well, tell me, but I can't
    promise to be happy)

    Jim Carswell

  2. Re: Can other products read Backup Exec Tape?

    Hey! I actually think I can answer this one! Download and install the 60 day
    evaluation version of Backup Exec

    "Jim Carswell" wrote:
    >My datacenter has given me an AIT-1 tape with a SQL2000 database for
    >analysis by my department. The tape was created with Backup Exec for Windows
    >NT and Windows 2000. How can I read this tape? Please don't tell me I need
    >to buy a full version of Backup Exec to read it. (Well, tell me, but I can't
    >promise to be happy)
    >
    >Jim Carswell

  3. Re: Can other products read Backup Exec Tape?

    Go here: http://www.veritas.com/products/list...eListing.jhtml

    The download is about 96MB IIRC

    "Jim Carswell" wrote:
    >My datacenter has given me an AIT-1 tape with a SQL2000 database for
    >analysis by my department. The tape was created with Backup Exec for Windows
    >NT and Windows 2000. How can I read this tape? Please don't tell me I need
    >to buy a full version of Backup Exec to read it. (Well, tell me, but I can't
    >promise to be happy)
    >
    >Jim Carswell

  4. Re: Can other products read Backup Exec Tape?

    Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning to d/l it from home tonight (my
    cable connection at home is 40X faster than our corporate internet
    connection.

    I guess my real question is still the same. If this is to be a regular
    occurrence, is there some other (less expensive) way to read the tape?

    Thanks again for responding.

    Jim

    Tony Jolley wrote in message <3b83f61a$1@hronntp01.>...

    >Go here:

    http://www.veritas.com/products/list...eListing.jhtml

    >The download is about 96MB IIRC
    >
    >"Jim Carswell" wrote:
    >>My datacenter has given me an AIT-1 tape with a SQL2000 database for
    >>analysis by my department. The tape was created with Backup Exec for

    Windows
    >>NT and Windows 2000. How can I read this tape? Please don't tell me I need
    >>to buy a full version of Backup Exec to read it. (Well, tell me, but I

    can't
    >>promise to be happy)
    >>
    >>Jim Carswell

  5. Re: Can other products read Backup Exec Tape?

    Native NT backup should be able to read Backup Exec, 'cause guess who
    supplied the NT backup solution - That's right, Veritas (or Seagate or
    Arcada) did. However, I have had problems, depending on what type of tape
    drive I used. Applies to W2K also. BE users - have a look at the W2K native,
    Start-Accessories-System Tools-Backup, seem familiar?
    'Doesn't have all the bells and whistles though. You don't say what your
    'database' is. If it was created using an Agent, such as SQL, Oracle,
    Exchange - I doubt it will work. It's worth a go, though.

    Ken McNulty

    Jim Carswell wrote in message
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning to d/l it from home tonight (my
    > cable connection at home is 40X faster than our corporate internet
    > connection.
    >
    > I guess my real question is still the same. If this is to be a regular
    > occurrence, is there some other (less expensive) way to read the tape?
    >

    > Thanks again for responding.
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > Tony Jolley wrote in message <3b83f61a$1@hronntp01.>...
    > >
    > >Go here:

    > http://www.veritas.com/products/list...eListing.jhtml
    > >
    > >The download is about 96MB IIRC
    > >
    > >"Jim Carswell" wrote:
    > >>My datacenter has given me an AIT-1 tape with a SQL2000 database for
    > >>analysis by my department. The tape was created with Backup Exec for

    > Windows
    > >>NT and Windows 2000. How can I read this tape? Please don't tell me I

    need
    > >>to buy a full version of Backup Exec to read it. (Well, tell me, but I

    > can't
    > >>promise to be happy)
    > >>
    > >>Jim Carswell

+ Reply to Thread