OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO. - Veritas Backup Exec ; I noticed a couple of post asking about this issue too, but no one responding... Here is my problem... We upgraded from BackupExec 8.5 Server to 8.6 Advanced Server. Now using the OFO option it will on a windows 2000 ...

  1. OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

    I noticed a couple of post asking about this issue too, but no one
    responding...

    Here is my problem...

    We upgraded from BackupExec 8.5 Server to 8.6 Advanced Server.

    Now using the OFO option it will on a windows 2000 advanced server running
    terminal services error out.
    This drive is a 30+ gig drive with about 4 gig used.

    Machine Specs
    Dual 733 PIII
    2 Gig Memory
    2x18Gig with a setup of 4.+ Gig for main partition and 30.+ Gig for the data
    drive.

    As you can see it can load and run successfully the OFO for the C: drive,
    but for some reason the D: is failing everytime...

    Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

    Robert Nall
    MCP
    Riley County - Information Systems

    BackupExec Alert:
    Device: \\C3PO\D$.
    OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

    Pull from log:

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - overwrite.
    Hardware compression enabled.
    OFO: Started for device: "\\C3PO\C$"

    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 8/9/01 09:24:19 AM"
    Backup of "\\C3PO\C$ Default share"
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Test Backup"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 8/9/01 at 9:26:16 AM.
    The .DR file required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is created/updated

    Backup completed on 8/9/01 at 9:31:27 AM.
    Backed up 19010 files in 2023 directories.
    Processed 1,492,392,336 bytes in 5 minutes and 11 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 274.6 MB/min
    OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.
    OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\C3PO\D$"

    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 8/9/01 09:24:19 AM"
    Backup of "\\C3PO\D$ Default share"
    Backup set #2 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Test Backup"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 8/9/01 at 9:31:30 AM.

    Backup completed on 8/9/01 at 9:32:17 AM.
    Backed up 931 files in 54 directories.
    Processed 365,621,639 bytes in 47 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 445.1 MB/min

  2. Re: OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

    Looks like you didn't set up the size for the static volume
    correctly. Refer to technote 234668
    Roughly you will need 500Byte for every file and the maximum
    of the static volume is given by you free Ram, where will be
    needed 40KB for every MB for the volume.

    sincerely -hhanna-

    "R. Nall" wrote:
    >I noticed a couple of post asking about this issue too, but no one
    >responding...
    >

    >Here is my problem...
    >
    >We upgraded from BackupExec 8.5 Server to 8.6 Advanced Server.
    >
    >Now using the OFO option it will on a windows 2000 advanced server running
    >terminal services error out.
    >This drive is a 30+ gig drive with about 4 gig used.
    >
    >Machine Specs
    >Dual 733 PIII
    >2 Gig Memory
    >2x18Gig with a setup of 4.+ Gig for main partition and 30.+ Gig for the

    data
    >drive.
    >
    >As you can see it can load and run successfully the OFO for the C: drive,
    >but for some reason the D: is failing everytime...
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    >

    >Robert Nall
    >MCP
    >Riley County - Information Systems
    >
    >BackupExec Alert:
    >Device: \\C3PO\D$.
    >OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.
    >

    >Pull from log:
    >
    >================================================== ====================
    >Job Operation - Backup
    >Media operation - overwrite.
    >Hardware compression enabled.
    >================================================== ====================
    >OFO: Started for device: "\\C3PO\C$"
    >
    >Performing Remote Agent backup
    >
    >Media Name: "Media created 8/9/01 09:24:19 AM"
    >Backup of "\\C3PO\C$ Default share"
    >Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "Test Backup"
    >Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >Backup started on 8/9/01 at 9:26:16 AM.
    >The .DR file required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is created/updated
    >
    >Backup completed on 8/9/01 at 9:31:27 AM.
    >Backed up 19010 files in 2023 directories.
    >Processed 1,492,392,336 bytes in 5 minutes and 11 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 274.6 MB/min
    >OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.
    >OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\C3PO\D$"
    >
    >Performing Remote Agent backup
    >
    >Media Name: "Media created 8/9/01 09:24:19 AM"
    >Backup of "\\C3PO\D$ Default share"
    >Backup set #2 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "Test Backup"
    >Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >Backup started on 8/9/01 at 9:31:30 AM.
    >
    >Backup completed on 8/9/01 at 9:32:17 AM.
    >Backed up 931 files in 54 directories.
    >Processed 365,621,639 bytes in 47 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 445.1 MB/min

  3. Re: OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

    "Herwig Hanna" wrote in message

    > Looks like you didn't set up the size for the static volume
    > correctly. Refer to technote 234668
    > Roughly you will need 500Byte for every file and the maximum
    > of the static volume is given by you free Ram, where will be
    > needed 40KB for every MB for the volume.

    I'm not a Windows programmer, but shouldn't Veritas be able to calculate
    this sort of thing on the fly? Is it really so difficult to tot up the
    number of files (which it has to do anyway) and find out how much memory is
    free (if taskman can do it...)?

    It hardly makes for a very good backup system if you have to have a backup
    fail because your users put a few more files on the server than you were
    expecting, and then manually intervene to do a couple of multiplications? I
    thought that maybe the couple of PIII-800 Xeons in my server would have a
    little bit of spare capacity to multiply 4 numbers together...

    --
    Marcus, who usually has to recalculate OFO settings after every server
    reboot because OFO *always* breaks.

  4. Re: OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

    Version 8.6 of Backup Exec has the autocalculate feature built into the OFO
    product. It may may not solve 100% of the 'Insufficeint system resources'
    issues but it reduces the need to frequently change the calculations.

    Eric Harless

    "Marcus Bainbridge" wrote in message
    > "Herwig Hanna" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Looks like you didn't set up the size for the static volume
    > > correctly. Refer to technote 234668
    > > Roughly you will need 500Byte for every file and the maximum
    > > of the static volume is given by you free Ram, where will be
    > > needed 40KB for every MB for the volume.

    > I'm not a Windows programmer, but shouldn't Veritas be able to calculate
    > this sort of thing on the fly? Is it really so difficult to tot up the
    > number of files (which it has to do anyway) and find out how much memory

    is
    > free (if taskman can do it...)?
    >
    > It hardly makes for a very good backup system if you have to have a backup
    > fail because your users put a few more files on the server than you were
    > expecting, and then manually intervene to do a couple of multiplications?

    > thought that maybe the couple of PIII-800 Xeons in my server would have a
    > little bit of spare capacity to multiply 4 numbers together...
    >
    > --
    > Marcus, who usually has to recalculate OFO settings after every server
    > reboot because OFO *always* breaks.

  5. Re: OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

    I `ve read that you have to use the local path devices if the
    disk you want to use is local.

    so insted of \\server\disk
    use disk:\

    maybe that will help you.

    "R. Nall" wrote:
    >I noticed a couple of post asking about this issue too, but no one
    >responding...
    >

    >Here is my problem...
    >
    >We upgraded from BackupExec 8.5 Server to 8.6 Advanced Server.
    >
    >Now using the OFO option it will on a windows 2000 advanced server running
    >terminal services error out.
    >This drive is a 30+ gig drive with about 4 gig used.
    >
    >Machine Specs
    >Dual 733 PIII
    >2 Gig Memory
    >2x18Gig with a setup of 4.+ Gig for main partition and 30.+ Gig for the

    data
    >drive.
    >
    >As you can see it can load and run successfully the OFO for the C: drive,
    >but for some reason the D: is failing everytime...
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    >

    >Robert Nall
    >MCP
    >Riley County - Information Systems
    >
    >BackupExec Alert:
    >Device: \\C3PO\D$.
    >OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.
    >

    >Pull from log:
    >
    >================================================== ====================
    >Job Operation - Backup
    >Media operation - overwrite.
    >Hardware compression enabled.
    >================================================== ====================
    >OFO: Started for device: "\\C3PO\C$"
    >
    >Performing Remote Agent backup
    >
    >Media Name: "Media created 8/9/01 09:24:19 AM"
    >Backup of "\\C3PO\C$ Default share"
    >Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "Test Backup"
    >Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >Backup started on 8/9/01 at 9:26:16 AM.
    >The .DR file required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is created/updated
    >
    >Backup completed on 8/9/01 at 9:31:27 AM.
    >Backed up 19010 files in 2023 directories.
    >Processed 1,492,392,336 bytes in 5 minutes and 11 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 274.6 MB/min
    >OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.
    >OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\C3PO\D$"
    >
    >Performing Remote Agent backup
    >
    >Media Name: "Media created 8/9/01 09:24:19 AM"
    >Backup of "\\C3PO\D$ Default share"
    >Backup set #2 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "Test Backup"
    >Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >Backup started on 8/9/01 at 9:31:30 AM.
    >
    >Backup completed on 8/9/01 at 9:32:17 AM.
    >Backed up 931 files in 54 directories.
    >Processed 365,621,639 bytes in 47 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 445.1 MB/min

  6. Re: OFO: Insufficient system resources exist to initialize OFO.

    Some suggestions: Make sure that you have the latest build of 8.6 installed
    and fully patched. Run the OFO wizard (found under Tools). There are also a
    number of support documents covering this issue in the support section of
    the Veritas site. For starters check out these:

    //Dennis