How do I make a tape "not appendable" so that its overwritten? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How do I make a tape "not appendable" so that its overwritten? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Here's the situation: I run BE 8.0, rev. 3316 on Windows NT. I have a full backup job scheduled to run every night. Because there is not very much data on the drives (less than 5 gb) and my tapes ...

  1. How do I make a tape "not appendable" so that its overwritten?

    Here's the situation: I run BE 8.0, rev. 3316 on Windows NT. I have a full
    backup job scheduled to run every night. Because there is not very much data
    on the drives (less than 5 gb) and my tapes are 40/80 gb, I want the tape
    to be overwritten on Monday night with the full backup and then appended
    Tues, Wed, Thurs and Friday nights to the same tape.

    The job is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available"
    and the media set has Overwrite Protection set to 6 days and the append period
    set to 5 days. The tape is reused every 3rd week.

    This setup causes a prompt for "overwriteable media". What can I change to
    make the tape not appendable, but overwriteable on Monday night and appendable
    the next 4 nights?

  2. Re: How do I make a tape "not appendable" so that its overwritten?

    Why don't you set up two backup jobs? One that runs on Monday and another
    that runs Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri?

    The Monday job should overwrite the tape and the other job should append.
    With this setup you should change your tape every Monday (before the backup
    occurs) so that you have a nice backup horizon.

    --
    Rod Savard, MCP - Senior Network Administrator
    SCM Consultants, Inc. - Kennewick, Washington, USA

    "Kristina" wrote in message

    > Here's the situation: I run BE 8.0, rev. 3316 on Windows NT. I have a full
    > backup job scheduled to run every night. Because there is not very much

    data
    > on the drives (less than 5 gb) and my tapes are 40/80 gb, I want the tape
    > to be overwritten on Monday night with the full backup and then appended
    > Tues, Wed, Thurs and Friday nights to the same tape.
    >
    > The job is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is

    available"
    > and the media set has Overwrite Protection set to 6 days and the append

    period
    > set to 5 days. The tape is reused every 3rd week.
    >
    > This setup causes a prompt for "overwriteable media". What can I change to
    > make the tape not appendable, but overwriteable on Monday night and

    appendable
    > the next 4 nights?

  3. Re: How do I make a tape "not appendable" so that its overwritten?

    That's not nearly enough fun. Just kidding. I think I'll do that. I was hoping
    to avoid it and figured there had to be a way. Thanks!

    "Rod Savard" wrote:
    >Why don't you set up two backup jobs? One that runs on Monday and another
    >that runs Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri?
    >
    >The Monday job should overwrite the tape and the other job should append.
    >With this setup you should change your tape every Monday (before the backup
    >occurs) so that you have a nice backup horizon.
    >
    >--
    >Rod Savard, MCP - Senior Network Administrator
    >SCM Consultants, Inc. - Kennewick, Washington, USA
    >rms@scm-ae.com - http://www.scm-ae.com
    >

    >"Kristina" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Here's the situation: I run BE 8.0, rev. 3316 on Windows NT. I have a

    full
    >> backup job scheduled to run every night. Because there is not very much

    >data
    >> on the drives (less than 5 gb) and my tapes are 40/80 gb, I want the tape
    >> to be overwritten on Monday night with the full backup and then appended
    >> Tues, Wed, Thurs and Friday nights to the same tape.
    >>
    >> The job is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is

    >available"
    >> and the media set has Overwrite Protection set to 6 days and the append

    >period
    >> set to 5 days. The tape is reused every 3rd week.
    >>
    >> This setup causes a prompt for "overwriteable media". What can I change

    >> make the tape not appendable, but overwriteable on Monday night and

    >appendable
    >> the next 4 nights?

+ Reply to Thread