Distributed File System Backup (DFS) - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Distributed File System Backup (DFS) - Veritas Backup Exec ; We recently set up W2K Domain DFS and now have problems backing up files and directories with DFS links. It seems as though Backupexec 8.6 tries to resolve the UNC to the absolute location prior to backing up files. Unfortunately ...

  1. Distributed File System Backup (DFS)

    We recently set up W2K Domain DFS and now have problems backing up files and
    directories with DFS links. It seems as though Backupexec 8.6 tries to
    resolve the UNC to the absolute location prior to backing up files.
    Unfortunately files and directories with DFS links cannot be accessed
    without using the UNC. That is a security measure to ensure file and
    directory integrity. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get BENT8.6 to
    backup those files?

    Adam

  2. Re: Distributed File System Backup (DFS)

    I am not sure of what you are trying to do, but I will try to help.

    On my W2K domain dfs root share, I created a command file to reproduce the
    dfs structure. This is probably not needed because the dfs structure is
    stored in AD. BENT will not have access to the links, nor be able to access
    the remote share from the link. You should exclude the links from the
    backup. Then backup the shares that these links point to by using BENT with
    the Remote Agent license directly from the servers.

    Does this help? Alex

    "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > We recently set up W2K Domain DFS and now have problems backing up files

    and
    > directories with DFS links. It seems as though Backupexec 8.6 tries to
    > resolve the UNC to the absolute location prior to backing up files.
    > Unfortunately files and directories with DFS links cannot be accessed
    > without using the UNC. That is a security measure to ensure file and
    > directory integrity. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get BENT8.6

    > backup those files?
    >
    > Adam

+ Reply to Thread