Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; On one of our servers (Backup Exec 8.0, DDS4, Windows 2000 Server) we are often getting an "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup! That error follows by an "unable to mount media" error. I find this ...

  1. Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    On one of our servers (Backup Exec 8.0, DDS4, Windows 2000 Server) we are
    often getting an "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a
    backup! That error follows by an "unable to mount media" error. I find
    this quite strange that the message appears in the middle of a backup. We
    are nowhere near filling up the 20GB native capacity of the DDS4 tapes, so
    it can't be a "tape getting full" error.

    Things we have tried: installed latest build of BEX 8.0. Installed latest
    Veritas tape drivers. Replaced tapes. Replaced tape drive, motherboard,
    and SCSI cable. (Dell's idea when we wanted the drive replaced.)

    We still have the problem. It is somewhat intermittent, but it fails more
    often than it succeeds. The failure point is also not consistent.

    Help is appreciated!!

    --
    Rod Savard - Delphi Developer
    Savard Software - Tri-Cities, Washington, USA

  2. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    After this happens, is the tape that was in the drive marked as "unrecognized"?

    IF so you need to apply the MediaFix _234341 patch or upgrade to v8.5

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm

    Rod Savard wrote:

    > On one of our servers (Backup Exec 8.0, DDS4, Windows 2000 Server) we are
    > often getting an "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a
    > backup! That error follows by an "unable to mount media" error. I find
    > this quite strange that the message appears in the middle of a backup. We
    > are nowhere near filling up the 20GB native capacity of the DDS4 tapes, so
    > it can't be a "tape getting full" error.
    >
    > Things we have tried: installed latest build of BEX 8.0. Installed latest
    > Veritas tape drivers. Replaced tapes. Replaced tape drive, motherboard,
    > and SCSI cable. (Dell's idea when we wanted the drive replaced.)
    >
    > We still have the problem. It is somewhat intermittent, but it fails more
    > often than it succeeds. The failure point is also not consistent.
    >
    > Help is appreciated!!
    >
    > --
    > Rod Savard - Delphi Developer
    > Savard Software - Tri-Cities, Washington, USA
    > rodney@savard.com - http://www.savard.com

  3. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    I will check this out and get back to you.

    --

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > After this happens, is the tape that was in the drive marked as

    "unrecognized"?

    > IF so you need to apply the MediaFix _234341 patch or upgrade to v8.5
    >
    > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    > and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    >
    > Rod Savard wrote:
    >
    > > On one of our servers (Backup Exec 8.0, DDS4, Windows 2000 Server) we

    are
    > > often getting an "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a
    > > backup! That error follows by an "unable to mount media" error. I find
    > > this quite strange that the message appears in the middle of a backup.

    We
    > > are nowhere near filling up the 20GB native capacity of the DDS4 tapes,

    so
    > > it can't be a "tape getting full" error.
    > >
    > > Things we have tried: installed latest build of BEX 8.0. Installed

    latest
    > > Veritas tape drivers. Replaced tapes. Replaced tape drive,

    motherboard,
    > > and SCSI cable. (Dell's idea when we wanted the drive replaced.)
    > >
    > > We still have the problem. It is somewhat intermittent, but it fails

    more
    > > often than it succeeds. The failure point is also not consistent.
    > >
    > > Help is appreciated!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rod Savard - Delphi Developer
    > > Savard Software - Tri-Cities, Washington, USA
    > > rodney@savard.com - http://www.savard.com

  4. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    I am having this same issue, however, not in the middle of a backup, it gives
    me that error when the backup starts. The only thing that I have been able
    to do, is to erase all of the tapes, and it will successfully backup.

    I have upgraded to the latest version of the Veritas software, 8.5 and it
    still doesn't work.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >After this happens, is the tape that was in the drive marked as "unrecognized"?
    >
    >IF so you need to apply the MediaFix _234341 patch or upgrade to v8.5
    >
    >See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    >and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    >
    >Rod Savard wrote:
    >
    >> On one of our servers (Backup Exec 8.0, DDS4, Windows 2000 Server) we

    are
    >> often getting an "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a
    >> backup! That error follows by an "unable to mount media" error. I find
    >> this quite strange that the message appears in the middle of a backup.

    We
    >> are nowhere near filling up the 20GB native capacity of the DDS4 tapes,

    so
    >> it can't be a "tape getting full" error.
    >>
    >> Things we have tried: installed latest build of BEX 8.0. Installed latest
    >> Veritas tape drivers. Replaced tapes. Replaced tape drive, motherboard,
    >> and SCSI cable. (Dell's idea when we wanted the drive replaced.)
    >>
    >> We still have the problem. It is somewhat intermittent, but it fails

    more
    >> often than it succeeds. The failure point is also not consistent.
    >>
    >> Help is appreciated!!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rod Savard - Delphi Developer
    >> Savard Software - Tri-Cities, Washington, USA
    >> rodney@savard.com - http://www.savard.com

  5. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    When you change tapes, run an inventory.

    Is the tape info displayed in blue or black. Blue indicates overwritable,
    black protected.

    If it displays in black, double check the media retention period from Media/Righ
    click media set/ properties

    "Shawn Thompson" wrote:

    >I am having this same issue, however, not in the middle of a backup, it

    gives
    >me that error when the backup starts. The only thing that I have been able
    >to do, is to erase all of the tapes, and it will successfully backup.
    >
    >I have upgraded to the latest version of the Veritas software, 8.5 and it
    >still doesn't work.
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>After this happens, is the tape that was in the drive marked as "unrecognized"?
    >>
    >>IF so you need to apply the MediaFix _234341 patch or upgrade to v8.5
    >>
    >>See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    >>and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    >>
    >>Rod Savard wrote:
    >>
    >>> On one of our servers (Backup Exec 8.0, DDS4, Windows 2000 Server) we

    >are
    >>> often getting an "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of

    >>> backup! That error follows by an "unable to mount media" error. I find
    >>> this quite strange that the message appears in the middle of a backup.

    > We
    >>> are nowhere near filling up the 20GB native capacity of the DDS4 tapes,

    >so
    >>> it can't be a "tape getting full" error.
    >>>
    >>> Things we have tried: installed latest build of BEX 8.0. Installed

    latest
    >>> Veritas tape drivers. Replaced tapes. Replaced tape drive, motherboard,
    >>> and SCSI cable. (Dell's idea when we wanted the drive replaced.)
    >>>
    >>> We still have the problem. It is somewhat intermittent, but it fails

    >more
    >>> often than it succeeds. The failure point is also not consistent.
    >>>
    >>> Help is appreciated!!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rod Savard - Delphi Developer
    >>> Savard Software - Tri-Cities, Washington, USA
    >>> rodney@savard.com - http://www.savard.com

  6. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    If the tapes are indeed marked "unrecognizable" then all you can do is re-label
    them, and either update to v8.5 or apply the MediaFix_234341 patch to prevent
    it from happening again. (applying the patch will not allow you to access
    any "unrecognizable" tapes. You'll still need to re-label them.

    "Shawn Thompson" wrote:

    >I am having this same issue, however, not in the middle of a backup, it

    gives
    >me that error when the backup starts. The only thing that I have been able
    >to do, is to erase all of the tapes, and it will successfully backup.
    >
    >I have upgraded to the latest version of the Veritas software, 8.5 and it
    >still doesn't work.
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>After this happens, is the tape that was in the drive marked as "unrecognized"?
    >>
    >>IF so you need to apply the MediaFix _234341 patch or upgrade to v8.5
    >>
    >>See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    >>and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    >>
    >>Rod Savard wrote:
    >>
    >>> On one of our servers (Backup Exec 8.0, DDS4, Windows 2000 Server) we

    >are
    >>> often getting an "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of

    >>> backup! That error follows by an "unable to mount media" error. I find
    >>> this quite strange that the message appears in the middle of a backup.

    > We
    >>> are nowhere near filling up the 20GB native capacity of the DDS4 tapes,

    >so
    >>> it can't be a "tape getting full" error.
    >>>
    >>> Things we have tried: installed latest build of BEX 8.0. Installed

    latest
    >>> Veritas tape drivers. Replaced tapes. Replaced tape drive, motherboard,
    >>> and SCSI cable. (Dell's idea when we wanted the drive replaced.)
    >>>
    >>> We still have the problem. It is somewhat intermittent, but it fails

    >more
    >>> often than it succeeds. The failure point is also not consistent.
    >>>
    >>> Help is appreciated!!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rod Savard - Delphi Developer
    >>> Savard Software - Tri-Cities, Washington, USA
    >>> rodney@savard.com - http://www.savard.com

  7. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    Well, the update to 8.5 didn't work the problem, so I will try the patch to
    see.

    Thanks for the quick response.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >If the tapes are indeed marked "unrecognizable" then all you can do is re-label
    >them, and either update to v8.5 or apply the MediaFix_234341 patch to prevent
    >it from happening again. (applying the patch will not allow you to access
    >any "unrecognizable" tapes. You'll still need to re-label them.
    >
    >"Shawn Thompson" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am having this same issue, however, not in the middle of a backup, it

    >gives
    >>me that error when the backup starts. The only thing that I have been

    able
    >>to do, is to erase all of the tapes, and it will successfully backup.
    >>
    >>I have upgraded to the latest version of the Veritas software, 8.5 and

    it
    >>still doesn't work.
    >>
    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>>After this happens, is the tape that was in the drive marked as "unrecognized"?
    >>>
    >>>IF so you need to apply the MediaFix _234341 patch or upgrade to v8.5
    >>>
    >>>See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    >>>and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm

    >>are

    find

    >> We

    >>so

    >latest

    >>more

  8. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    v8.5 has the patch built in, so don't bother downloading the patch.

    Are the tapes marked "unrecognizable", or is it just that BENT wants more/different
    tapes?

    "Shawn Thompson" wrote:

    >Well, the update to 8.5 didn't work the problem, so I will try the patch

    >see.
    >
    >Thanks for the quick response.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>If the tapes are indeed marked "unrecognizable" then all you can do is

    re-label
    >>them, and either update to v8.5 or apply the MediaFix_234341 patch to prevent
    >>it from happening again. (applying the patch will not allow you to access
    >>any "unrecognizable" tapes. You'll still need to re-label them.
    >>
    >>"Shawn Thompson" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I am having this same issue, however, not in the middle of a backup, it

    >>gives
    >>>me that error when the backup starts. The only thing that I have been

    >able
    >>>to do, is to erase all of the tapes, and it will successfully backup.
    >>>
    >>>I have upgraded to the latest version of the Veritas software, 8.5 and

    >it
    >>>still doesn't work.

    we
    >>>are

    >find
    >>> We
    >>>so

    >>latest

    >>>more

  9. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    Then, quiet honestly, it doesn't work properly in 8.5. I have 8.5 installed,
    Rev 3572. The media is not showing as unrecognizable, they are still showing
    as 'infinite', which is what they showed as before I dumped NT off of this
    server and installed Windows 2000 Server.

    The only thing that works for me at this point is to erase the tapes, and
    the backup works. I have erased, cataloged, performed a re-inventory, and
    still doesn't work.

    I have a screenshot of the error I am getting, but its title of the subject
    line that is shown above.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >v8.5 has the patch built in, so don't bother downloading the patch.
    >
    >Are the tapes marked "unrecognizable", or is it just that BENT wants more/different
    >tapes?
    >
    >"Shawn Thompson" wrote:
    >>
    >>Well, the update to 8.5 didn't work the problem, so I will try the patch

    >>see.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the quick response.
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>If the tapes are indeed marked "unrecognizable" then all you can do is

    >re-label
    >>>them, and either update to v8.5 or apply the MediaFix_234341 patch to

    prevent
    >>>it from happening again. (applying the patch will not allow you to access
    >>>any "unrecognizable" tapes. You'll still need to re-label them.

    it
    >>>gives

    >>able

    >>it

    >we

    of

    >>find

    >>>latest

  10. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    if the tapes are not marked "unrecognizable", then the patch would not have
    helped anyway.

    when you inventory, are all tapes displayed in blue, or are they in black?

    How much data is backed up before the "insert" alert is popped up?

    What kind of drive? what capacity tapes?

    "Shawn Thompson" wrote:

    >Then, quiet honestly, it doesn't work properly in 8.5. I have 8.5 installed,
    >Rev 3572. The media is not showing as unrecognizable, they are still showing
    >as 'infinite', which is what they showed as before I dumped NT off of this
    >server and installed Windows 2000 Server.
    >
    >The only thing that works for me at this point is to erase the tapes, and
    >the backup works. I have erased, cataloged, performed a re-inventory, and
    >still doesn't work.
    >
    >I have a screenshot of the error I am getting, but its title of the subject
    >line that is shown above.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>v8.5 has the patch built in, so don't bother downloading the patch.
    >>
    >>Are the tapes marked "unrecognizable", or is it just that BENT wants more/different
    >>tapes?
    >>
    >>"Shawn Thompson" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Well, the update to 8.5 didn't work the problem, so I will try the patch

    >>>see.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the quick response.

    >>re-label

    >prevent

    >it
    >>>able

    >>>it

    >>we

    >of

    >>>find

    tapes,

  11. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    If I erase them, the list is in blue. Inventory is in black.

    The device I am using is a Dell Powervault 120T, with the Quantum DLTtape
    IV that holds a TON of space on them, I can't recall the exact amount it
    holds. Installed onto a Dell Poweredge 6450 server, Windows 2000 Server,
    SP1 (NOT Advanced Server). I have tried Service Pack 2 as well, but doesnt
    help either.

    None of the data is backed up at all, before it will backup the info, it
    prompts me for the insert overwritable media.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >if the tapes are not marked "unrecognizable", then the patch would not have
    >helped anyway.
    >
    >when you inventory, are all tapes displayed in blue, or are they in black?
    >
    >How much data is backed up before the "insert" alert is popped up?
    >
    >What kind of drive? what capacity tapes?
    >
    >"Shawn Thompson" wrote:
    >>
    >>Then, quiet honestly, it doesn't work properly in 8.5. I have 8.5 installed,
    >>Rev 3572. The media is not showing as unrecognizable, they are still showing
    >>as 'infinite', which is what they showed as before I dumped NT off of this
    >>server and installed Windows 2000 Server.
    >>
    >>The only thing that works for me at this point is to erase the tapes, and
    >>the backup works. I have erased, cataloged, performed a re-inventory,

    and
    >>still doesn't work.
    >>
    >>I have a screenshot of the error I am getting, but its title of the subject
    >>line that is shown above.
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>v8.5 has the patch built in, so don't bother downloading the patch.
    >>>
    >>>Are the tapes marked "unrecognizable", or is it just that BENT wants more/different
    >>>tapes?

    is
    >>>re-label

    >>prevent

    >>it

    and

    >>>we

    >>of

    >tapes,

    fails

  12. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    OK - when the inventory returns info in blue, the tape is overwritable, when
    it returns in black, the tape is protected by BENT

    Double check the retention period of the media set that resides on the tape
    from Media tab, right click on media set/properties

    if that is all that is wrong, then dragging the volume to the scratch media
    set should also work, rather than erase or label.

    "Shawn Thompson" wrote:

    >If I erase them, the list is in blue. Inventory is in black.
    >
    >The device I am using is a Dell Powervault 120T, with the Quantum DLTtape
    >IV that holds a TON of space on them, I can't recall the exact amount it
    >holds. Installed onto a Dell Poweredge 6450 server, Windows 2000 Server,
    >SP1 (NOT Advanced Server). I have tried Service Pack 2 as well, but doesnt
    >help either.
    >
    >None of the data is backed up at all, before it will backup the info, it
    >prompts me for the insert overwritable media.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>if the tapes are not marked "unrecognizable", then the patch would not

    have
    >>helped anyway.
    >>
    >>when you inventory, are all tapes displayed in blue, or are they in black?
    >>
    >>How much data is backed up before the "insert" alert is popped up?
    >>
    >>What kind of drive? what capacity tapes?
    >>
    >>"Shawn Thompson" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Then, quiet honestly, it doesn't work properly in 8.5. I have 8.5 installed,
    >>>Rev 3572. The media is not showing as unrecognizable, they are still

    showing
    >>>as 'infinite', which is what they showed as before I dumped NT off of

    this
    >>>server and installed Windows 2000 Server.
    >>>
    >>>The only thing that works for me at this point is to erase the tapes,

    and
    >>>the backup works. I have erased, cataloged, performed a re-inventory,

    >and
    >>>still doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>>I have a screenshot of the error I am getting, but its title of the subject
    >>>line that is shown above.

    more/different

    >is

    >>>prevent

    access

    >>>it

    been

    >and

    v8.5

    >>>of

    backup.

    >>tapes,

    >fails

  13. Re: Getting "insert overwritable media" prompt in the middle of a backup

    OK, I just moved them over to scratch media, we will see how it goes this
    evening, at 5:30PM.

    Thanks for all the help, Ken. I will post here and let you know how it goes.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >OK - when the inventory returns info in blue, the tape is overwritable,

    when
    >it returns in black, the tape is protected by BENT
    >
    >Double check the retention period of the media set that resides on the tape
    >from Media tab, right click on media set/properties
    >
    >if that is all that is wrong, then dragging the volume to the scratch media
    >set should also work, rather than erase or label.
    >
    >"Shawn Thompson" wrote:
    >>
    >>If I erase them, the list is in blue. Inventory is in black.
    >>
    >>The device I am using is a Dell Powervault 120T, with the Quantum DLTtape
    >>IV that holds a TON of space on them, I can't recall the exact amount it
    >>holds. Installed onto a Dell Poweredge 6450 server, Windows 2000 Server,
    >>SP1 (NOT Advanced Server). I have tried Service Pack 2 as well, but doesnt
    >>help either.
    >>
    >>None of the data is backed up at all, before it will backup the info, it
    >>prompts me for the insert overwritable media.
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>if the tapes are not marked "unrecognizable", then the patch would not

    >have
    >>>helped anyway.
    >>>
    >>>when you inventory, are all tapes displayed in blue, or are they in black?
    >>>
    >>>How much data is backed up before the "insert" alert is popped up?
    >>>
    >>>What kind of drive? what capacity tapes?

    >showing

    >this

    >and

    >>and