How do you find how much space is left on a tape? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How do you find how much space is left on a tape? - Veritas Backup Exec ; With compression, it's hard to know how many tapes a job requires. How does one find out how much space is left on a tape after a job has completed? I can't find a way to get statistics on what ...

  1. How do you find how much space is left on a tape?

    With compression, it's hard to know how many tapes a job requires. How does
    one find out how much space is left on a tape after a job has completed? I
    can't find a way to get statistics on what percentage of a tape each job
    uses.

    Thanks in advance,
    Tim

  2. Re: How do you find how much space is left on a tape?

    The Veritas position is that since there are so many different compression
    alogorithms and since h/w compression takes place after BENT has anything
    to do with it, that this cannot be done.

    If you use Software Compression, you could always do the math on each job
    step and add them up to get a close approximation

    "Tim Thompson" wrote:
    >With compression, it's hard to know how many tapes a job requires. How does
    >one find out how much space is left on a tape after a job has completed?

    >can't find a way to get statistics on what percentage of a tape each job
    >uses.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Tim

+ Reply to Thread