need help with media rotation - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on need help with media rotation - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, We're in the process of switching from Arcview 6.0 to BackupExec 8.6 (running on NT server) for our backups. I'm running into a difficulty that may be due to lack of knowledge about BackupExec, so I'm hoping someone can ...

  1. need help with media rotation

    Hello,

    We're in the process of switching from Arcview 6.0 to BackupExec 8.6 (running
    on NT server) for our backups. I'm running into a difficulty that may be
    due to lack of knowledge about BackupExec, so I'm hoping someone can help
    me out.

    I'd like to setup a fairly standard "grandfather" rotation (i.e. M-Th differentials,
    Friday weekly full, last Friday of month archived for one year) and it seems
    pretty straightforward to have BackupExec create the media sets for each
    group of
    tapes. What I can't figure out how to do is have BackupExec rotate the recycled
    tapes in between the various media sets in order to equalize the amount of
    times that each tape is used.

    Is this something that I'm going to have to keep track of manually or is
    there a nice (read "automated") way to do this?

    Thanks in advance.

    ______________________________
    Matt Walters
    Computer & Technology Services
    School of Social Work
    University of Michigan

  2. Re: need help with media rotation

    "Matt Walters" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >We're in the process of switching from Arcview 6.0 to BackupExec 8.6 (running
    >on NT server) for our backups. I'm running into a difficulty that may be
    >due to lack of knowledge about BackupExec, so I'm hoping someone can help
    >me out.
    >
    >I'd like to setup a fairly standard "grandfather" rotation (i.e. M-Th differentials,
    >Friday weekly full, last Friday of month archived for one year) and it seems
    >pretty straightforward to have BackupExec create the media sets for each
    >group of
    >tapes. What I can't figure out how to do is have BackupExec rotate the

    recycled
    >tapes in between the various media sets in order to equalize the amount

    of
    >times that each tape is used.
    >
    >Is this something that I'm going to have to keep track of manually or is
    >there a nice (read "automated") way to do this?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >______________________________
    >Matt Walters
    >Computer & Technology Services
    >School of Social Work
    >University of Michigan

    I know of no automatic way to move tapes from one media set to another except
    by Media/move media manual commands.
    You could set your media set overwrite properties so long that jobs will
    always want to get tapes from the scratch media set.
    Of course you would have to move them there first manually.

    I guess the desire to have tapes get old at about the same rate
    makesit easier to justify buying a whole bunch of tapes at once
    for replacements.

    Tape usage is tape usage if one tape seems to be getting old
    just replace that tape and don't worry about it.

    By the way AIT tapes have a lifetime warranty with out any
    specified time period.

+ Reply to Thread