Correct procedure to remove media? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Correct procedure to remove media? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I want to physically remove the Friday (full backup) tapes from my Exabyte 430 library to send off site. I understand that I can use the export media command, but is this the preferred method? The BENT (8.5 on Win2kSvr) ...

  1. Correct procedure to remove media?

    I want to physically remove the Friday (full backup) tapes from my Exabyte
    430 library to send off site. I understand that I can use the export media
    command, but is this the preferred method? The BENT (8.5 on Win2kSvr)
    manual does not address exporting. If I do export & remove from unit, what
    is the correct method if I need to restore from that tape(s)? Do I just
    import?

    Signed,
    Easily Confused
    (David Johnston)

  2. Re: Correct procedure to remove media?

    "David Johnston" wrote:
    >I want to physically remove the Friday (full backup) tapes from my Exabyte
    >430 library to send off site. I understand that I can use the export media
    >command, but is this the preferred method? The BENT (8.5 on Win2kSvr)
    >manual does not address exporting. If I do export & remove from unit, what
    >is the correct method if I need to restore from that tape(s)? Do I just
    >import?
    >
    >Signed,
    >Easily Confused
    >(David Johnston)

    You can just take the tapes out of the library by hand and either do a Device\scan
    on the vacated slotes or restart BE if
    your library is set to scan automatically at BE restart.
    You can Device/export each tape if you want. I don't know if
    your library has a separate output slot for tape movements.

    You of course will be leaving the tapes in their media set and the catalogs
    for later reference. Do not set up a grooming of
    the catalogs so the offsite tapes are taken out of the catalogs
    too soon. You can also never do any grooming and leave the tapes in the
    catalogs if disk space is not an issue.

    To use the tape for a restore either import the tape by the
    Device commands or simply put the needed tape(s) back into the
    library and scan the slots from the Device view.
    You will have to run a catalog on tapes that have been removed from the catalogs
    to do a restore.

  3. Re: Correct procedure to remove media?

    Why not just physically remove it, and leave it as is in BENT?

    That way, if you ever need to restore from it, just insert, inventory, select,
    restore

    "David Johnston" wrote:
    >I want to physically remove the Friday (full backup) tapes from my Exabyte
    >430 library to send off site. I understand that I can use the export media
    >command, but is this the preferred method? The BENT (8.5 on Win2kSvr)
    >manual does not address exporting. If I do export & remove from unit, what
    >is the correct method if I need to restore from that tape(s)? Do I just
    >import?
    >
    >Signed,
    >Easily Confused
    >(David Johnston)