Urgent!! BENT Freeze & Scramble - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Urgent!! BENT Freeze & Scramble - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are using BackupExec 8.0 on NT 4.0. The tape drive is a HP SureStore DAT24 with DDS-3 tapes. Our overnight backup of this server requries two tapes. In the morning I put in the second tape, and it usually ...

  1. Urgent!! BENT Freeze & Scramble

    We are using BackupExec 8.0 on NT 4.0.
    The tape drive is a HP SureStore DAT24 with DDS-3 tapes.

    Our overnight backup of this server requries two tapes.
    In the morning I put in the second tape, and it usually
    finishes quickly. This has been working relatively
    smoothly for several months.

    The last couple days, when I click on the tab to bring up the
    BackupExec job monitor to see if the second tape is done,
    the entire program freezes as if it cannot connect to the local
    backup server. If I hit the ALT+TAB keys to switch windows
    quickly I can catch the "Connecting to Local Backup Server"
    dialog box hidden behind the regular BackupExec window,
    but I cannot select it. BackupExec will not respond to close
    or minimize. The Control Panel shows all BackupExec
    services to be running.

    Eventually, it is possible to get to this small dialog box
    and press the cancel button. The program then locks up
    while indicating that it is disconnecting from the backup server.
    Suddenly, Windows then seems to lose track of the ordering
    of open windows on the screen, and all open windows start
    to flash by one after the other when any key is pressed.
    Nothing will display properly. I cannot even bring up the task
    manager or issue the shutdown command. The only thing to
    do is to turn off the server at the power switch.

    After rebooting, the server seems OK, and BackupExec starts
    without any problems. It seems that the backup job did complete
    on the second tape prior to the crash.

    Has anyone experienced anything like this? What can make
    BackupExec suddenly lose its connection to a local server
    process that is still running?

  2. Re: Urgent!! BENT Freeze & Scramble

    "Hillel Seltzer" wrote:
    >We are using BackupExec 8.0 on NT 4.0.
    >The tape drive is a HP SureStore DAT24 with DDS-3 tapes.
    >
    >Our overnight backup of this server requries two tapes.
    >In the morning I put in the second tape, and it usually
    >finishes quickly. This has been working relatively
    >smoothly for several months.
    >
    >The last couple days, when I click on the tab to bring up the
    >BackupExec job monitor to see if the second tape is done,
    >the entire program freezes as if it cannot connect to the local
    >backup server. If I hit the ALT+TAB keys to switch windows
    >quickly I can catch the "Connecting to Local Backup Server"
    >dialog box hidden behind the regular BackupExec window,
    >but I cannot select it. BackupExec will not respond to close
    >or minimize. The Control Panel shows all BackupExec
    >services to be running.
    >
    >Eventually, it is possible to get to this small dialog box
    >and press the cancel button. The program then locks up
    >while indicating that it is disconnecting from the backup server.
    >Suddenly, Windows then seems to lose track of the ordering
    >of open windows on the screen, and all open windows start
    >to flash by one after the other when any key is pressed.
    >Nothing will display properly. I cannot even bring up the task
    >manager or issue the shutdown command. The only thing to
    >do is to turn off the server at the power switch.
    >
    >After rebooting, the server seems OK, and BackupExec starts
    >without any problems. It seems that the backup job did complete
    >on the second tape prior to the crash.
    >
    >Has anyone experienced anything like this? What can make
    >BackupExec suddenly lose its connection to a local server
    >process that is still running?

    Go stop all your BE services. Right click properties on each one and reenter
    all the passwords again. Restart services or the system.
    This is one solution to connection problems.
    Also (as Ken Putnam emphasizes) it could be necessary to rename/delete the
    bewinui.uni file in the program files/veritas/nt/data directory and reset
    all you target server data selections passwords.
    There has been an issue with password database corruption.

    Also when you get time you should test/upgrade to the 8.5 version which you
    are licensed for.

    The other possibility is device configuration problems.
    This probably involves deinstalling and then reinstalling BE.

+ Reply to Thread