SBS 8.5 on SBS2000 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SBS 8.5 on SBS2000 - Veritas Backup Exec ; HOW do i get it to backup the exchange mailboxes??? I have followed all the TID's I can find... unable to attach to \\server\Microsoft exchange mailboxes Access is denied. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Unable to attach to blah ...

  1. SBS 8.5 on SBS2000

    HOW do i get it to backup the exchange mailboxes??? I have followed all the
    TID's I can find...

    unable to attach to \\server\Microsoft exchange mailboxes
    Access is denied.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Unable to attach to blah blah blah

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

  2. Solution Everyone!!

    Okay forget this, I figured it out. The Outlook2000 Mapi client is NOT
    capable of backing up the exchange mailboxes. I downloaded and installed
    the win2000 messaging subsystem (winntwms.exe, which you need for GroupwWise
    on win2K) then setup the profile for exchange and hey presto the damn thing
    worked.

    THIS MAY WELL BE WORTH PUTTING IN A TID VERITAS....

    cheers,

    peter.
    "Peter Rowe" wrote in message
    > HOW do i get it to backup the exchange mailboxes??? I have followed all

    the
    > TID's I can find...
    >
    > unable to attach to \\server\Microsoft exchange mailboxes
    > Access is denied.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > Unable to attach to blah blah blah
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

  3. Re: Solution Everyone!!

    Since mailbox backups essentially log onto exchange to access the mailboxes,
    I can't accept your statement that the Outlook2000 client can't be used.

    Are you sure that it wasn't just a matter of what was installed first? (see
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231927.htm)

    (But I'm glad that you are getting your backups)

    "Peter Rowe" wrote:
    >Okay forget this, I figured it out. The Outlook2000 Mapi client is NOT
    >capable of backing up the exchange mailboxes. I downloaded and installed
    >the win2000 messaging subsystem (winntwms.exe, which you need for GroupwWise
    >on win2K) then setup the profile for exchange and hey presto the damn thing
    >worked.
    >
    >THIS MAY WELL BE WORTH PUTTING IN A TID VERITAS....
    >
    >cheers,
    >
    >peter.
    >"Peter Rowe" wrote in message
    >> HOW do i get it to backup the exchange mailboxes??? I have followed all

    >the
    >> TID's I can find...
    >>
    >> unable to attach to \\server\Microsoft exchange mailboxes
    >> Access is denied.
    >>
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >> Unable to attach to blah blah blah
    >>
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

  4. Re: Solution Everyone!!

    I don't believe this can be the case here, as with SBS2000 (and 4.5)
    exchange admin is installed 1st by default. If anyone HAS got this working
    with the standard ol2000 then if they could let me know how then that'd be
    good, but as I've got a surefire solution to this annoying problem I think
    I'll stick to it!!!

    After all if software worked as it *should* I doubt I'd have a job!!!

    Regards,

    Peter.
    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Since mailbox backups essentially log onto exchange to access the

    mailboxes,
    > I can't accept your statement that the Outlook2000 client can't be used.
    >

    > Are you sure that it wasn't just a matter of what was installed first?

    (see
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231927.htm)
    >
    > (But I'm glad that you are getting your backups)
    >

    > "Peter Rowe" wrote:
    > >Okay forget this, I figured it out. The Outlook2000 Mapi client is NOT
    > >capable of backing up the exchange mailboxes. I downloaded and installed
    > >the win2000 messaging subsystem (winntwms.exe, which you need for

    GroupwWise
    > >on win2K) then setup the profile for exchange and hey presto the damn

    thing
    > >worked.
    > >
    > >THIS MAY WELL BE WORTH PUTTING IN A TID VERITAS....
    > >
    > >cheers,
    > >
    > >peter.
    > >"Peter Rowe" wrote in message
    > >> HOW do i get it to backup the exchange mailboxes??? I have followed

    all
    > >the
    > >> TID's I can find...
    > >>
    > >> unable to attach to \\server\Microsoft exchange mailboxes
    > >> Access is denied.

    > >> Unable to attach to blah blah blah

+ Reply to Thread