Backup Exec 8.5 - Remote Agent for Netware = Slow Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 8.5 - Remote Agent for Netware = Slow Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Problem: We have a Compaq TL891 autoloader attached to an NT Server 4.0 (SP6a), which runs Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 (latest patches). We also have a number of NT Server 4.0 (SP6a) and Netware 4.2 (SP9) servers on ...

  1. Backup Exec 8.5 - Remote Agent for Netware = Slow Backup

    Hi,

    Problem:

    We have a Compaq TL891 autoloader attached to an NT Server 4.0 (SP6a), which
    runs Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 (latest patches). We also have a number
    of NT Server 4.0 (SP6a) and Netware 4.2 (SP9) servers on which we run the
    Backup Exec Remote Agent for Netware (8.5 1/4/2001). The backup protocol
    used in all cases is IPX/SPX. NT Backups are fine, but Netware server
    backups using the Remote Agent for Netware have 50% failure rate with the
    following errors:

    Unable to initialize Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 - performing standard
    backup
    Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

    Also

    Unable to attach to .Netware File System/ servername>/Users:

    A network connection to the device could not be established.

    Seems to fail on randomly across the 5 volumes. The surprising thing is that
    it then goes on to complete the verifies...!

    Could you please advise me on:

    1.) What is causing these errors? We are running 100Mbits/sec. half duplex
    on the Netware servers (as advised by Novell/Compaq), we have updated the
    BEREMOTE.NLM to 8.5 (1.4.2001)

    2.) Is TCP/IP or IPX/SPX better in terms of backup speed?

    3.) Our Netware volumes have compression enabled - is this an issue?

    TIA for any advice.

    Jim

  2. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 - Remote Agent for Netware = Slow Backup

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236584.htm

    "Jim Linden" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Problem:
    >
    >We have a Compaq TL891 autoloader attached to an NT Server 4.0 (SP6a), which
    >runs Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 (latest patches). We also have a number
    >of NT Server 4.0 (SP6a) and Netware 4.2 (SP9) servers on which we run the
    >Backup Exec Remote Agent for Netware (8.5 1/4/2001). The backup protocol
    >used in all cases is IPX/SPX. NT Backups are fine, but Netware server
    >backups using the Remote Agent for Netware have 50% failure rate with the
    >following errors:
    >
    >Unable to initialize Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 - performing standard
    >backup
    >Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    >
    >Also
    >
    >Unable to attach to .Netware File System/ >servername>/Users:
    >
    >A network connection to the device could not be established.
    >
    >Seems to fail on randomly across the 5 volumes. The surprising thing is

    that
    >it then goes on to complete the verifies...!
    >
    > Could you please advise me on:
    >
    >1.) What is causing these errors? We are running 100Mbits/sec. half duplex
    >on the Netware servers (as advised by Novell/Compaq), we have updated the
    >BEREMOTE.NLM to 8.5 (1.4.2001)
    >
    >2.) Is TCP/IP or IPX/SPX better in terms of backup speed?
    >
    >3.) Our Netware volumes have compression enabled - is this an issue?
    >
    >TIA for any advice.
    >
    >Jim

+ Reply to Thread