a little OT but please see if you can help! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on a little OT but please see if you can help! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello everyone! Right now I'm ruuning bent8.6 and I have this problem that I've had for over 1 year now. I've been posting for help on HPs forum several of times with no fix for this problem, maybe you guys ...

  1. a little OT but please see if you can help!

    Hello everyone!

    Right now I'm ruuning bent8.6 and I have this problem that I've had for over
    1 year now. I've been posting for help on HPs forum several of times with no
    fix for this problem, maybe you guys can help! The only update I have since
    I wrote this post is that if I choose "use hardware compression, if not use
    software" then I don't get any compression at all?

    I have a HP Surestore DAT24i (C1537a) tape device it has the latest bios
    version L005. It's connected to an Adaptec 2940u2w SCSI card with the latest
    bios (July 2001). I have all the dip switches set to standard witch is all
    the switches set to on except the 3rd one witch is off. The OS is w2k with
    ms drivers for the devices.

    Now we come to my problem. When testing it with HP library and tape tools I
    get no compression, none what so ever, both on reading and writing I get the
    compression 1:1.0. This is consistent; I've tried about 1 million times. I
    get no compression from the built in backup software in w2k. I can only get
    software compression from Veritas backup exec. All this makes me believe
    that I have a faulty tape drive, well, here's the killer: If I change the
    2nd dipswitch to off, I get hardware compression using HP library & tools
    but not using any of the 2 mentioned softwares?

    I have read that some special settings for the SCSI card is in order so I
    have changed it to:

    Send Start Unit Command: No/Disabled

    Enabled Disconnect: Yes/Enabled

    Initiate Wide Support: No/Disabled

    I've read that I should disable sync negotiation, I can't find that
    anywhere. I've also read that the transfer rate should be 10MB or lower. So
    what should I set it to?

    Thanks for any help you can provide!

    If you can help on this one than you beat HP and Veritas support and my
    searching for over 1 year time.....

  2. Re: a little OT but please see if you can help!

    Well, I got this answer from a guy on the HP forum, he told me to try
    setting backupexec to no compression, well, backup exec doesn't care! If I
    set it to no compresson then in the log it still says that it's using
    hardware compression??? Any ideas?

    /Z
    "Zulan" wrote in message news:3b68485f@hronntp01....
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > Right now I'm ruuning bent8.6 and I have this problem that I've had for

    over
    > 1 year now. I've been posting for help on HPs forum several of times with

    no
    > fix for this problem, maybe you guys can help! The only update I have

    since
    > I wrote this post is that if I choose "use hardware compression, if not

    use
    > software" then I don't get any compression at all?
    >

    > I have a HP Surestore DAT24i (C1537a) tape device it has the latest bios
    > version L005. It's connected to an Adaptec 2940u2w SCSI card with the

    latest
    > bios (July 2001). I have all the dip switches set to standard witch is all
    > the switches set to on except the 3rd one witch is off. The OS is w2k with
    > ms drivers for the devices.
    >

    > Now we come to my problem. When testing it with HP library and tape tools

    > get no compression, none what so ever, both on reading and writing I get

    the
    > compression 1:1.0. This is consistent; I've tried about 1 million times. I
    > get no compression from the built in backup software in w2k. I can only

    get
    > software compression from Veritas backup exec. All this makes me believe
    > that I have a faulty tape drive, well, here's the killer: If I change the
    > 2nd dipswitch to off, I get hardware compression using HP library & tools
    > but not using any of the 2 mentioned softwares?
    >

    > I have read that some special settings for the SCSI card is in order so I
    > have changed it to:
    >

    > Send Start Unit Command: No/Disabled
    >
    > Enabled Disconnect: Yes/Enabled
    >
    > Initiate Wide Support: No/Disabled
    >

    > I've read that I should disable sync negotiation, I can't find that
    > anywhere. I've also read that the transfer rate should be 10MB or lower.

    So
    > what should I set it to?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provide!
    >
    > If you can help on this one than you beat HP and Veritas support and my
    > searching for over 1 year time.....

  3. Re: a little OT but please see if you can help!

    and now I tried once again but this time I set it to only use software
    compression, guess what. It still uses hardware compression??

    what gives??

    /Z

+ Reply to Thread