Device Requires cleaning - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Device Requires cleaning - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a HP SURESTORE 418 DLT AUTOLOADER with several tapes in it that I would like use. The tapes are relatively new and have not been used much. I would like to erase and reuse them. When I try ...

  1. Device Requires cleaning

    I have a HP SURESTORE 418 DLT AUTOLOADER with several tapes in it that I would
    like use. The tapes are relatively new and have not been used much. I would
    like to erase and reuse them. When I try to erase them, I get an alert saying
    that the device requires cleaning. I cleaned the device this week with a
    brand new cleaning tape. If I try to back up anything on these tapes as
    they are, I get an alert telling me to erase them as they are unrecognized
    media. I am certain we have been able to use these tapes before. A couple
    of other tapes that are already in the device are currently working for me.
    Any ideas to help me get out of this seemingly never-ending loop?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    Sounds to me like the tapes my not be compatible with that drive.

    "Erin Ash" wrote:

    >I have a HP SURESTORE 418 DLT AUTOLOADER with several tapes in it that I

    would
    >like use. The tapes are relatively new and have not been used much. I

    would
    >like to erase and reuse them. When I try to erase them, I get an alert

    saying
    >that the device requires cleaning. I cleaned the device this week with

    >brand new cleaning tape. If I try to back up anything on these tapes as
    >they are, I get an alert telling me to erase them as they are unrecognized
    >media. I am certain we have been able to use these tapes before. A couple
    >of other tapes that are already in the device are currently working for

    me.
    > Any ideas to help me get out of this seemingly never-ending loop?
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    I do not believe BENT can tell when you have cleaned the drive. You might
    need to reset the cleaning stats for the drive manually from the Drive
    Statistics dialog.

    Mark

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Sounds to me like the tapes my not be compatible with that drive.
    >
    > "Erin Ash" wrote:
    > >
    > >I have a HP SURESTORE 418 DLT AUTOLOADER with several tapes in it that I

    > would
    > >like use. The tapes are relatively new and have not been used much. I

    > would
    > >like to erase and reuse them. When I try to erase them, I get an alert

    > saying
    > >that the device requires cleaning. I cleaned the device this week with

    > >brand new cleaning tape. If I try to back up anything on these tapes as
    > >they are, I get an alert telling me to erase them as they are

    unrecognized
    > >media. I am certain we have been able to use these tapes before. A

    couple
    > >of other tapes that are already in the device are currently working for

    > me.
    > > Any ideas to help me get out of this seemingly never-ending loop?
    > >
    > >Thanks

  4. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    All of the tapes that I am using in that backup device are HP DLTtape IV Data
    Cartridges. I have three out of seven that work.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Sounds to me like the tapes my not be compatible with that drive.
    >
    >"Erin Ash" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a HP SURESTORE 418 DLT AUTOLOADER with several tapes in it that

    >would
    >>like use. The tapes are relatively new and have not been used much. I

    >would
    >>like to erase and reuse them. When I try to erase them, I get an alert

    >saying
    >>that the device requires cleaning. I cleaned the device this week with

    >>brand new cleaning tape. If I try to back up anything on these tapes as
    >>they are, I get an alert telling me to erase them as they are unrecognized
    >>media. I am certain we have been able to use these tapes before. A couple
    >>of other tapes that are already in the device are currently working for

    >me.
    >> Any ideas to help me get out of this seemingly never-ending loop?
    >>
    >>Thanks

  5. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?

    "Mark D. Spiteri" wrote:
    >I do not believe BENT can tell when you have cleaned the drive. You might
    >need to reset the cleaning stats for the drive manually from the Drive
    >Statistics dialog.
    >
    >Mark
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Sounds to me like the tapes my not be compatible with that drive.
    >>
    >> "Erin Ash" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >I have a HP SURESTORE 418 DLT AUTOLOADER with several tapes in it that

    >> would
    >> >like use. The tapes are relatively new and have not been used much.

    >> would
    >> >like to erase and reuse them. When I try to erase them, I get an alert

    >> saying
    >> >that the device requires cleaning. I cleaned the device this week with

    >> >brand new cleaning tape. If I try to back up anything on these tapes

    as
    >> >they are, I get an alert telling me to erase them as they are

    >unrecognized
    >> >media. I am certain we have been able to use these tapes before. A

    >couple
    >> >of other tapes that are already in the device are currently working for

    >> me.
    >> > Any ideas to help me get out of this seemingly never-ending loop?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks

  6. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    From the GUI, Devices Tab, right click the drive, Propreties, Statistics
    (I think that's it, I'm not in the office today)

    "Erin Ash" wrote:

    >Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?
    >
    >"Mark D. Spiteri" wrote:
    >>I do not believe BENT can tell when you have cleaned the drive. You might
    >>need to reset the cleaning stats for the drive manually from the Drive
    >>Statistics dialog.
    >>
    >>Mark
    >>

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Sounds to me like the tapes my not be compatible with that drive.

    >>> would

    >>> would
    >>> saying

    >as

    >>unrecognized

    >>couple

    for
    >>> me.

  7. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    That only works when you have a stand-alone device. Mine is an autoloader.
    I checked the cleaning stats on the drives and it does reset them as they
    are supposed to automatically. If this is any more help, when I do an inventory,
    all of the tapes come up ok. When my backups run at night, they label those
    particular tapes as bad media.

    "ken Putnam" wrote:

    >From the GUI, Devices Tab, right click the drive, Propreties, Statistics

    >(I think that's it, I'm not in the office today)
    >
    >"Erin Ash" wrote:
    >>
    >>Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?
    >>
    >>"Mark D. Spiteri" wrote:
    >>>I do not believe BENT can tell when you have cleaned the drive. You might
    >>>need to reset the cleaning stats for the drive manually from the Drive
    >>>Statistics dialog.
    >>>
    >>>Mark
    >>>

    >>>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    with

    >>as
    >>>unrecognized

    >>>couple

    >for

  8. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    What version and build of BackupExec?

    almost sounds like you need to apply MediaFix-234341.

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm

    "Erin Ash" wrote:

    >That only works when you have a stand-alone device. Mine is an autoloader.
    > I checked the cleaning stats on the drives and it does reset them as they
    >are supposed to automatically. If this is any more help, when I do an inventory,
    >all of the tapes come up ok. When my backups run at night, they label those
    >particular tapes as bad media.
    >
    >"ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>From the GUI, Devices Tab, right click the drive, Propreties, Statistics

    >>(I think that's it, I'm not in the office today)
    >>
    >>"Erin Ash" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?

    that

    alert

    >with
    >>>as

    >>for

  9. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    Actually, I already applied that patch yesterday.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >What version and build of BackupExec?
    >
    >almost sounds like you need to apply MediaFix-234341.
    >
    >See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    >and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    >

    >"Erin Ash" wrote:
    >>
    >>That only works when you have a stand-alone device. Mine is an autoloader.
    >> I checked the cleaning stats on the drives and it does reset them as they
    >>are supposed to automatically. If this is any more help, when I do an

    inventory,
    >>all of the tapes come up ok. When my backups run at night, they label

    those
    >>particular tapes as bad media.
    >>
    >>"ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>From the GUI, Devices Tab, right click the drive, Propreties, Statistics

    >>>(I think that's it, I'm not in the office today)

    might

    >that

    >alert

    >>with

    >>>for

  10. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    Version 8.5 Rev 3571.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >What version and build of BackupExec?
    >
    >almost sounds like you need to apply MediaFix-234341.
    >
    >See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    >and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    >

    >"Erin Ash" wrote:
    >>
    >>That only works when you have a stand-alone device. Mine is an autoloader.
    >> I checked the cleaning stats on the drives and it does reset them as they
    >>are supposed to automatically. If this is any more help, when I do an

    inventory,
    >>all of the tapes come up ok. When my backups run at night, they label

    those
    >>particular tapes as bad media.
    >>
    >>"ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>From the GUI, Devices Tab, right click the drive, Propreties, Statistics

    >>>(I think that's it, I'm not in the office today)

    might

    >that

    >alert

    >>with

    >>>for

  11. Re: Device Requires cleaning

    That patch won't "fix" any tapes already affected.

    It only prevents them from becoming "unrecognized" in the future.

    Erin Ash wrote:

    > Actually, I already applied that patch yesterday.
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >
    > >What version and build of BackupExec?
    > >
    > >almost sounds like you need to apply MediaFix-234341.
    > >
    > >See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    > >and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234341.htm
    > >

    > >"Erin Ash" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>That only works when you have a stand-alone device. Mine is an autoloader.
    > >> I checked the cleaning stats on the drives and it does reset them as they
    > >>are supposed to automatically. If this is any more help, when I do an

    > inventory,
    > >>all of the tapes come up ok. When my backups run at night, they label

    > those
    > >>particular tapes as bad media.

    > might

    > >that

    > >alert
    > >>with

  12. Re: Device Requires cleaning (PROBLEM SOLVED)

    I fixed the problem on my own using someone else's fix for a different problem.
    I ran 6 clean jobs on each of my DLT autloaders in a row and now I can use
    my tapes as if there were never any problems. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Seems to be quite the expensive problem though. Would hate for that to
    happen again soon because these cleaning tapes are expensive.

+ Reply to Thread