SNAP server-slow backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SNAP server-slow backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; Just received a Quantum SNAP server and found out I can't install any remote agent on it. I did a few test backups and they are too slow over the Fast Ethernet connection built-in to the SNAP server. Has anyone ...

  1. SNAP server-slow backups

    Just received a Quantum SNAP server and found out I can't install any remote
    agent on it. I did a few test backups and they are too slow over the Fast
    Ethernet connection built-in to the SNAP server. Has anyone else encountered
    this situation? and what did you do about backup speed w/o the accelerator?
    I want to install/backup about 70GB of files onto the SNAP.

    Does anyone with a Maxtor MaxAttach know if you can install the BE 8.5
    accelerator?

    Thanks in advance for suggestions

  2. Re: SNAP server-slow backups

    Yah, you cannot install the Remote Agent/NTAA on the SNAP server, or any other
    NAS server AFAIK. About all you can do is verify that Auto-Negotiate IS
    NOT enabled. Hard set each end of the pipe into the SNAP server to whatever
    is appropriate for your network

    "Carlos" wrote:
    >Just received a Quantum SNAP server and found out I can't install any remote
    >agent on it. I did a few test backups and they are too slow over the Fast
    >Ethernet connection built-in to the SNAP server. Has anyone else encountered
    >this situation? and what did you do about backup speed w/o the accelerator?
    >I want to install/backup about 70GB of files onto the SNAP.
    >
    >Does anyone with a Maxtor MaxAttach know if you can install the BE 8.5
    >accelerator?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for suggestions

  3. Re: SNAP server-slow backups

    Ww have three SNAP servers and they are extremely slow whe backing up or
    even when accessing files. We have copied some installation CD's on these
    SNAP servers and they are extremely slow. I contacted SNAP support and they
    informed me not to hard set the network speed, as when we set it to 100 Full
    duplex, the SNAP userd to show 100 half duplex. To backup the SNAP server it
    is better to use a user defined share. It does help to some extent.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Yah, you cannot install the Remote Agent/NTAA on the SNAP server, or any

    other
    > NAS server AFAIK. About all you can do is verify that Auto-Negotiate IS
    > NOT enabled. Hard set each end of the pipe into the SNAP server to

    whatever
    > is appropriate for your network
    >
    > "Carlos" wrote:
    > >Just received a Quantum SNAP server and found out I can't install any

    remote
    > >agent on it. I did a few test backups and they are too slow over the Fast
    > >Ethernet connection built-in to the SNAP server. Has anyone else

    encountered
    > >this situation? and what did you do about backup speed w/o the

    accelerator?
    > >I want to install/backup about 70GB of files onto the SNAP.
    > >
    > >Does anyone with a Maxtor MaxAttach know if you can install the BE 8.5
    > >accelerator?
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance for suggestions

+ Reply to Thread