Does anyone know of a simple backup solution? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Does anyone know of a simple backup solution? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have always used NTBackup in NT4. I used Launchpad with batch files for scheduling. It has always worked with no messing around no calls to tech support and no training to speak of. I don't want to think about ...

  1. Does anyone know of a simple backup solution?

    I have always used NTBackup in NT4. I used Launchpad with batch files for
    scheduling. It has always worked with no messing around no calls to tech
    support and no training to speak of.

    I don't want to think about the hours I have in NT Backup for W2K and I am
    still having problems.

    If you don't put the right tape in it does not backup. No simple way to
    erase a tape. No simple way to catalog a tape.

    The list goes on.

    Is VERITAS Backup Exec easy to use?

    How many hours to get up to speed on it?

    Is it reliable?

    If you schedule a backup and the wrong tape in in the drive will it do the
    backup?

    If you lose the C drive do you install W2K first or does Backup Exec have
    disaster recovery software that runs the backup from a floppy?

    How about any other third party solutions that anyone will recommend.

    Thank you in advance for any advice.

    --
    Greg Brockway, MCP
    GB Consulting, Inc.

    Phone: 440-576-3827
    Fax: 440-576-0434

  2. Re: Does anyone know of a simple backup solution?

    Replies In-Line

    "Greg Brockway, MCP" wrote:
    >I have always used NTBackup in NT4. I used Launchpad with batch files for
    >scheduling. It has always worked with no messing around no calls to tech
    >support and no training to speak of.
    >
    >I don't want to think about the hours I have in NT Backup for W2K and I

    am
    >still having problems.
    >
    >If you don't put the right tape in it does not backup. No simple way to
    >erase a tape. No simple way to catalog a tape.

    In Backup Exec, insert tape, right click/inventory, right click/ catalog.

    >The list goes on.
    >
    >Is VERITAS Backup Exec easy to use?

    I think that the Backup Exec interface is much more intuitive than the ArcServer
    interface, and don't even get me started on the clunky Ultrabac interface.

    >How many hours to get up to speed on it?

    Read though the manual, then create and run a couple of jobs and you'll have
    98% of what you need. Then hit the manual or KnowledgBase for specific
    questions

    >Is it reliable?
    >
    >If you schedule a backup and the wrong tape in in the drive will it do the
    >backup?

    Depends on what you mean by wrong tape, and how you have set overwrite protection.

    >If you lose the C drive do you install W2K first or does Backup Exec have
    >disaster recovery software that runs the backup from a floppy?

    You can purchase IDR (Intelligent Disaster Recovery) for extra cost, or you
    can do it the old fashioned way.

    >How about any other third party solutions that anyone will recommend.

    As I mentioned earlier, I don't like the interfaces for either ArcServe or
    Ultrabac. but both do an acceptable job from what I hear.

    >Thank you in advance for any advice.
    >
    >--
    >Greg Brockway, MCP
    >GB Consulting, Inc.
    >P.O. Box 446
    >Jefferson, Ohio 44047
    >
    >Phone: 440-576-3827
    >Fax: 440-576-0434

  3. Re: Does anyone know of a simple backup solution?

    Thank you for the advice. Nt4 backup was so simple you did not need the
    book. I think this will be a improvement over W2K Backup.
    Greg

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Replies In-Line
    >
    > "Greg Brockway, MCP" wrote:
    > >I have always used NTBackup in NT4. I used Launchpad with batch files for
    > >scheduling. It has always worked with no messing around no calls to tech
    > >support and no training to speak of.
    > >
    > >I don't want to think about the hours I have in NT Backup for W2K and I

    > am
    > >still having problems.
    > >
    > >If you don't put the right tape in it does not backup. No simple way to
    > >erase a tape. No simple way to catalog a tape.

    > In Backup Exec, insert tape, right click/inventory, right click/ catalog.
    > >
    > >The list goes on.
    > >
    > >Is VERITAS Backup Exec easy to use?

    > I think that the Backup Exec interface is much more intuitive than the

    ArcServer
    > interface, and don't even get me started on the clunky Ultrabac interface.
    >

    > >How many hours to get up to speed on it?
    > >

    > Read though the manual, then create and run a couple of jobs and you'll

    have
    > 98% of what you need. Then hit the manual or KnowledgBase for specific
    > questions
    >
    > >Is it reliable?
    > >
    > >If you schedule a backup and the wrong tape in in the drive will it do

    the
    > >backup?
    > >

    > Depends on what you mean by wrong tape, and how you have set overwrite

    protection.

    > >If you lose the C drive do you install W2K first or does Backup Exec have
    > >disaster recovery software that runs the backup from a floppy?
    > >

    > You can purchase IDR (Intelligent Disaster Recovery) for extra cost, or

    you
    > can do it the old fashioned way.
    >

    > >How about any other third party solutions that anyone will recommend.
    > >

    > As I mentioned earlier, I don't like the interfaces for either ArcServe or
    > Ultrabac. but both do an acceptable job from what I hear.
    > >
    > >Thank you in advance for any advice.
    > >
    > >--
    > >Greg Brockway, MCP
    > >GB Consulting, Inc.