Exchange Restore- URGENT!! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange Restore- URGENT!! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Probably an old question but I have only just had to avail of restoring my Exchange info store to a server that is not the one that the back up was performed on. I want to restore all email ...

  1. Exchange Restore- URGENT!!

    Hi,
    Probably an old question but I have only just had to avail of restoring my
    Exchange info store to a server that is not the one that the back up was
    performed on.
    I want to restore all email mailboxes to a server called "Database2"...my
    exchange server is called "exchange2". I have installed Exh5.5 + SP3 on the
    database box as this is what I have on the Exchange2 box.
    When I run restore and redirect to the Database2 box it fails stating that
    it cannot find the Information Store OR that the site or organisation name
    are different!!!
    The site and org names are the same...I made sure of that.
    Is it a limitation that because the netbios names are different that it CANNOT
    restore to a different server?
    Is this because the server name is hard coded (for want of better term) into
    the info store?

    Can anyone help me...I just need to restore the mailboxes so I can check
    an account for some emails that have gone missing.

    PS..running WinNT4 SP6a, Bent8.5 Rev 3571
    Thanks
    Chris

  2. Re: Exchange Restore- URGENT!!

    No, the server Netbios name is not important

    The Org and Site names MUST be exactly the same, and are case sensitive

    See http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/te...kupRestore.asp
    for Microsoft's recommended restore procedures.

    Chris Stedman wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Probably an old question but I have only just had to avail of restoring my
    > Exchange info store to a server that is not the one that the back up was
    > performed on.
    > I want to restore all email mailboxes to a server called "Database2"...my
    > exchange server is called "exchange2". I have installed Exh5.5 + SP3 on the
    > database box as this is what I have on the Exchange2 box.
    > When I run restore and redirect to the Database2 box it fails stating that
    > it cannot find the Information Store OR that the site or organisation name
    > are different!!!
    > The site and org names are the same...I made sure of that.
    > Is it a limitation that because the netbios names are different that it CANNOT
    > restore to a different server?
    > Is this because the server name is hard coded (for want of better term) into
    > the info store?
    >
    > Can anyone help me...I just need to restore the mailboxes so I can check
    > an account for some emails that have gone missing.
    >
    > PS..running WinNT4 SP6a, Bent8.5 Rev 3571
    > Thanks
    > Chris

+ Reply to Thread