IDR Question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IDR Question - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'd like to purchase the IDR option for BENT 8.6 so that I can create a bootable CD-R/RW to restore from. The problem is NONE of my servers have a CD-R/RW drive, though I do have several client machines with ...

  1. IDR Question

    I'd like to purchase the IDR option for BENT 8.6 so that I can create a
    bootable CD-R/RW to restore from. The problem is NONE of my servers have a
    CD-R/RW drive, though I do have several client machines with them. So my
    question is: Is it possible to make the bootable CD-R/RW from a system not
    running BENT to use on a different system that is or must the bootable disk
    be made locally on the system it will be used for? I have no intention of
    installing a CD-R/RW drive on the server so if it's not possible to make
    this disk elsewhere I'm not going to purchase the IDR. And yes, I'm aware
    that you can use floppies but I don't trust their reliability in such a
    mission critical application and I'm not going to pay for an option I don't
    trust anyway.

  2. Re: IDR Question

    Before you purchase IDR, get an assurance that it is going to do what it is
    intended for. I have not seen it work properly yet.
    Ike

    "Nicholas Hanson" wrote:
    >I'd like to purchase the IDR option for BENT 8.6 so that I can create a
    >bootable CD-R/RW to restore from. The problem is NONE of my servers have

    >CD-R/RW drive, though I do have several client machines with them. So my
    >question is: Is it possible to make the bootable CD-R/RW from a system not
    >running BENT to use on a different system that is or must the bootable disk
    >be made locally on the system it will be used for? I have no intention of
    >installing a CD-R/RW drive on the server so if it's not possible to make
    >this disk elsewhere I'm not going to purchase the IDR. And yes, I'm aware
    >that you can use floppies but I don't trust their reliability in such a
    >mission critical application and I'm not going to pay for an option I don't
    >trust anyway.

  3. Re: IDR Question

    What is it that does not work? I have done IDR of Remote W2K servers as well
    as local and W2K cluster servers and it has worked fine. Altogether I have
    done about 10-15 IDR operations, not a single has failed.

    Mike

    Ike Cabase wrote in message

    > Before you purchase IDR, get an assurance that it is going to do what it

    is
    > intended for. I have not seen it work properly yet.
    > Ike
    >

    > "Nicholas Hanson" wrote:
    > >I'd like to purchase the IDR option for BENT 8.6 so that I can create a
    > >bootable CD-R/RW to restore from. The problem is NONE of my servers have

    > >CD-R/RW drive, though I do have several client machines with them. So my
    > >question is: Is it possible to make the bootable CD-R/RW from a system

    not
    > >running BENT to use on a different system that is or must the bootable

    disk
    > >be made locally on the system it will be used for? I have no intention of
    > >installing a CD-R/RW drive on the server so if it's not possible to make
    > >this disk elsewhere I'm not going to purchase the IDR. And yes, I'm aware
    > >that you can use floppies but I don't trust their reliability in such a
    > >mission critical application and I'm not going to pay for an option I

    don't
    > >trust anyway.

  4. Re: IDR Question

    "Mike" wrote in message news:3b5ee079@hronntp01....
    > What is it that does not work? I have done IDR of Remote W2K servers as

    well
    > as local and W2K cluster servers and it has worked fine. Altogether I have
    > done about 10-15 IDR operations, not a single has failed.

    So perhaps you can answer my question. Can I burn an IDR boot CD-R/RW for a
    Server on different machine? For example, is there a way to have the server
    I want to use it for generate and .iso image (or something similar) and then
    copy the image to a different machine to actually do the burning? Or is the
    boot disk itself actually generic and all I have to do is make sure the
    backup job (on the server with the option installed) saves the data in a
    special format on the tape that the boot disk can read.

  5. Re: IDR Question

    Nicholas, you can copy the file to a different machine and burn the image
    there.

    Mike

    Nicholas Hanson wrote in message
    > "Mike" wrote in message news:3b5ee079@hronntp01....
    > > What is it that does not work? I have done IDR of Remote W2K servers as

    > well
    > > as local and W2K cluster servers and it has worked fine. Altogether I

    have
    > > done about 10-15 IDR operations, not a single has failed.

    > So perhaps you can answer my question. Can I burn an IDR boot CD-R/RW for

    > Server on different machine? For example, is there a way to have the

    server
    > I want to use it for generate and .iso image (or something similar) and

    then
    > copy the image to a different machine to actually do the burning? Or is

    the
    > boot disk itself actually generic and all I have to do is make sure the
    > backup job (on the server with the option installed) saves the data in a
    > special format on the tape that the boot disk can read.

+ Reply to Thread