Is 8.6 slower than 8.5?? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Is 8.6 slower than 8.5?? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I recently upgraded from BE8.5 to BE8.6 and my backup through put went from 100-200mb per min to 60-80mb per minute. Has anyone else experienced this? And should I go back to 8.5?...

  1. Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    I recently upgraded from BE8.5 to BE8.6 and my backup through put went from
    100-200mb per min to 60-80mb per minute. Has anyone else experienced this?
    And should I go back to 8.5?

  2. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    Same thing, backups now too slow to be useful; does anyone know why this might
    be?

    "Stone" wrote:
    >I recently upgraded from BE8.5 to BE8.6 and my backup through put went from
    >100-200mb per min to 60-80mb per minute. Has anyone else experienced this?
    >And should I go back to 8.5?

  3. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    What kind of comnpression do you guys use?

    /Z
    "Richard" wrote in message

    > Same thing, backups now too slow to be useful; does anyone know why this

    might
    > be?
    >
    > "Stone" wrote:
    > >I recently upgraded from BE8.5 to BE8.6 and my backup through put went

    from
    > >100-200mb per min to 60-80mb per minute. Has anyone else experienced

    this?
    > >And should I go back to 8.5?

  4. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    Software compression

    "Zulan" wrote in message news:3b683fa5@hronntp01....
    > What kind of comnpression do you guys use?
    >
    > /Z
    > "Richard" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Same thing, backups now too slow to be useful; does anyone know why this

    > might
    > > be?
    > >
    > > "Stone" wrote:
    > > >I recently upgraded from BE8.5 to BE8.6 and my backup through put went

    > from
    > > >100-200mb per min to 60-80mb per minute. Has anyone else experienced

    > this?
    > > >And should I go back to 8.5?

  5. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    I have the exact same problem. I thought I was going crazy. I have tried
    everything and been on the phone with tech support for two weeks now and
    of course it is my servers and not the software, even though it was working
    well before.

    "Zulan" wrote:
    >What kind of comnpression do you guys use?
    >
    >/Z
    >"Richard" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Same thing, backups now too slow to be useful; does anyone know why this

    >might
    >> be?
    >>
    >> "Stone" wrote:
    >> >I recently upgraded from BE8.5 to BE8.6 and my backup through put went

    >from
    >> >100-200mb per min to 60-80mb per minute. Has anyone else experienced

    >this?
    >> >And should I go back to 8.5?

  6. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    I recogniced the same behaviour in my test environment. Please check for the
    device drivers. We uses COMPAQ DLT 40/80 drives with Veritas tape device
    drivers. After changing back to the win2000 driver the backup runs about 3
    times faster then before.

    "Zulan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > What kind of comnpression do you guys use?
    >
    > /Z
    > "Richard" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Same thing, backups now too slow to be useful; does anyone know why this

    > might
    > > be?
    > >
    > > "Stone" wrote:
    > > >I recently upgraded from BE8.5 to BE8.6 and my backup through put went

    > from
    > > >100-200mb per min to 60-80mb per minute. Has anyone else experienced

    > this?
    > > >And should I go back to 8.5?

  7. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    Has anyone else seen a better responce with using non veritas tape drivers?
    I have a quantum DLT700 loader

    ED

    "Ingo Hecht" wrote:
    >I recogniced the same behaviour in my test environment. Please check for

    the
    >device drivers. We uses COMPAQ DLT 40/80 drives with Veritas tape device
    >drivers. After changing back to the win2000 driver the backup runs about

    3
    >times faster then before.
    >
    >"Zulan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> What kind of comnpression do you guys use?
    >>
    >> /Z
    >> "Richard" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Same thing, backups now too slow to be useful; does anyone know why

    this
    >> might
    >> > be?

    >> from

    >> this?

  8. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5??

    I tried the Exabyte drivers and there was no change in speed of the backups
    stinks

    "Ed" wrote in message news:3b701023$1@hronntp01....

    > Has anyone else seen a better responce with using non veritas tape

    drivers?
    > I have a quantum DLT700 loader
    >
    > ED
    >

    > "Ingo Hecht" wrote:
    > >I recogniced the same behaviour in my test environment. Please check for

    > the
    > >device drivers. We uses COMPAQ DLT 40/80 drives with Veritas tape device
    > >drivers. After changing back to the win2000 driver the backup runs about

    > 3
    > >times faster then before.
    > >
    > >"Zulan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >> What kind of comnpression do you guys use?
    > >>
    > >> /Z
    > >> "Richard" wrote in message

    > this
    > >> might

    went
    > >> from

    experienced
    > >> this?

  9. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5?? YES

    yeah, I changed from 8.5 to 8.6, and backup speed changed from 200MB/min to
    less than half that. Using HW compression, and a Sony AIT-1 drive, veritas
    drivers.

    "Stone" wrote:
    >I tried the Exabyte drivers and there was no change in speed of the backups
    >stinks
    >

    >"Ed" wrote in message news:3b701023$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Has anyone else seen a better responce with using non veritas tape

    >drivers?
    >> I have a quantum DLT700 loader
    >>
    >> ED
    >>

    >> "Ingo Hecht" wrote:
    >> >I recogniced the same behaviour in my test environment. Please check

    for
    >> the
    >> >device drivers. We uses COMPAQ DLT 40/80 drives with Veritas tape device
    >> >drivers. After changing back to the win2000 driver the backup runs about

    >> 3
    >> >times faster then before.
    >> >
    >> >"Zulan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> this

    >went

    >experienced

  10. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5?? YES

    Hello,
    I had the same problem on a W2k Server with SP2
    and MDAC 2.6 or MDAC 2.6 SP1 installed.
    After two weeks of trail and error,
    I just solved our problem !!!
    I "rollback", deinstalled MDAC 2.6.
    Now I have the old speed of 400 MB per minute
    on LTO or 250 MB/per m. at DLT.
    Hope that help
    Rainer

    "Derek" wrote:

    >yeah, I changed from 8.5 to 8.6, and backup speed changed from 200MB/min

    >less than half that. Using HW compression, and a Sony AIT-1 drive, veritas
    >drivers.
    >

    >"Stone" wrote:
    >>I tried the Exabyte drivers and there was no change in speed of the backups
    >>stinks
    >>

    >>"Ed" wrote in message news:3b701023$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else seen a better responce with using non veritas tape

    >>drivers?
    >>> I have a quantum DLT700 loader
    >>>
    >>> ED

    >for
    >>> the
    >>> 3

    why
    >>> this

    >>went

    >>experienced

  11. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5?? YES

    Which version did you roll back to 2.5??

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote in message

    > Hello,
    > I had the same problem on a W2k Server with SP2
    > and MDAC 2.6 or MDAC 2.6 SP1 installed.
    > After two weeks of trail and error,
    > I just solved our problem !!!
    > I "rollback", deinstalled MDAC 2.6.
    > Now I have the old speed of 400 MB per minute
    > on LTO or 250 MB/per m. at DLT.
    > Hope that help
    > Rainer
    >
    > "Derek" wrote:
    > >
    > >yeah, I changed from 8.5 to 8.6, and backup speed changed from 200MB/min

    > >less than half that. Using HW compression, and a Sony AIT-1 drive,

    veritas
    > >drivers.
    > >

    > >"Stone" wrote:
    > >>I tried the Exabyte drivers and there was no change in speed of the

    backups
    > >>stinks

    > >>drivers?

    > >for

    device

    about

    > why

    put
    > >>went
    > >>experienced

  12. Re: Is 8.6 slower than 8.5?? YES

    Hello,

    I "rollback" MDAC 2.6 back, as I wrote earlier.
    MDAC is Microsoft Data Access Components.
    Veritas state to use always the latest MDAC from MS
    for BackUpExec. So I did. That was the error.

    Rainer

+ Reply to Thread