SQL Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; We recently upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 6.5 on NT. We are running Backup Exec 7.5 for NT/2000 Server. After the upgrade we began getting these errors during backup: An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..Primary. Could ...

  1. SQL Backup

    We recently upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 6.5 on NT. We are running Backup
    Exec 7.5 for NT/2000 Server. After the upgrade we began getting these errors
    during backup:

    An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..Primary. Could not find
    filegroup 'Primary' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'. Unable to open
    the item model?Primary - Skipped.

    The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using ALTER
    DATABASE.

    Unable to open Item msdb?Primary - skipped

    The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using ALTER
    DATABASE.

    Unable to open Item pubs?Primary - skipped

    Please help me to understand what is going on...

    Thanks,

    Justin

  2. Re: SQL Backup

    Justin,

    I'm having the same problem, except I'm using SQL 7, I would appreciate any
    help, if you come up with a fix

    Thanks
    Paul C
    "Justin Allen" wrote:

    >We recently upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 6.5 on NT. We are running Backup
    >Exec 7.5 for NT/2000 Server. After the upgrade we began getting these errors
    >during backup:
    >
    >An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..Primary. Could not find
    >filegroup 'Primary' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'. Unable to open
    >the item model?Primary - Skipped.
    >
    >The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    >model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    ALTER
    >DATABASE.
    >
    >Unable to open Item msdb?Primary - skipped
    >
    >The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    >model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    ALTER
    >DATABASE.
    >
    >Unable to open Item pubs?Primary - skipped
    >
    >Please help me to understand what is going on...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Justin

  3. Re: SQL Backup

    Your backup statement shows that you are trying to backup a file. This
    cannot be done, unless truncate transaction log is unchecked (not Simple
    recovery mode). When making the selection in BENT, scroll the right pane
    until you see the database without any notation of a file or filegroup.
    Select that and select the backup type of DATABASE.

    BENT 7.5 does not know how to backup SQL2000. You must use BENT 8.5 or
    greater. If the BENT server is not the SQL2000 server, you must also update
    the SQL Client connectivity components on the BENT server from the SQL2000
    CD. Therefore, BENT 7.5 will not work, even if you make the correct
    selections from the BENT gui.

    Alex

    "Justin Allen" wrote in message

    > We recently upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 6.5 on NT. We are running Backup
    > Exec 7.5 for NT/2000 Server. After the upgrade we began getting these

    errors
    > during backup:
    >
    > An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..Primary. Could not find
    > filegroup 'Primary' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'. Unable to open
    > the item model?Primary - Skipped.
    >
    > The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the

    recovery
    > model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    ALTER
    > DATABASE.
    >
    > Unable to open Item msdb?Primary - skipped
    >
    > The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the

    recovery
    > model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    ALTER
    > DATABASE.
    >
    > Unable to open Item pubs?Primary - skipped
    >
    > Please help me to understand what is going on...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Justin

  4. Re: SQL Backup

    If you go into the properties of the SQL DB you are trying to backup, you
    can change the recovery model from simple to full. This should fix the problem.

    "Justin Allen" wrote:

    >We recently upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 6.5 on NT. We are running Backup
    >Exec 7.5 for NT/2000 Server. After the upgrade we began getting these errors
    >during backup:
    >
    >An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..Primary. Could not find
    >filegroup 'Primary' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'. Unable to open
    >the item model?Primary - Skipped.
    >
    >The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    >model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    ALTER
    >DATABASE.
    >
    >Unable to open Item msdb?Primary - skipped
    >
    >The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    >model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    ALTER
    >DATABASE.
    >
    >Unable to open Item pubs?Primary - skipped
    >
    >Please help me to understand what is going on...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Justin

  5. Re: SQL Backup

    I am receiving the same error. Problem is the Model database is already on
    Full. Switching other databases to full solved the error however, I am still
    showing Unable to open item on Primary database Model.

    "Lee Bothwell" wrote:

    >If you go into the properties of the SQL DB you are trying to backup, you
    >can change the recovery model from simple to full. This should fix the

    problem.

    >"Justin Allen" wrote:
    >>
    >>We recently upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 6.5 on NT. We are running Backup
    >>Exec 7.5 for NT/2000 Server. After the upgrade we began getting these errors
    >>during backup:
    >>
    >>An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..Primary. Could not find
    >>filegroup 'Primary' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'. Unable to open
    >>the item model?Primary - Skipped.
    >>
    >>The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    >>model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    >ALTER
    >>DATABASE.
    >>
    >>Unable to open Item msdb?Primary - skipped
    >>
    >>The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the recovery
    >>model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    >ALTER
    >>DATABASE.
    >>
    >>Unable to open Item pubs?Primary - skipped
    >>
    >>Please help me to understand what is going on...
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Justin

  6. Re: SQL Backup

    You do not really want to backup SQL with a job that gets this message. You
    will not get the transaction log in the backup job.

    Change the job definition selections to select the database name without the
    text 'Filegroups in'. Click the MS SQL Server icon in the left pane and
    select the database from the right pane.

    Alex

    "JY" wrote in message news:3b582a1e$1@hronntp01....

    > I am receiving the same error. Problem is the Model database is already

    on
    > Full. Switching other databases to full solved the error however, I am

    still
    > showing Unable to open item on Primary database Model.
    >
    > "Lee Bothwell" wrote:
    > >
    > >If you go into the properties of the SQL DB you are trying to backup, you
    > >can change the recovery model from simple to full. This should fix the

    > problem.
    > >
    > >"Justin Allen" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>We recently upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 6.5 on NT. We are running

    Backup
    > >>Exec 7.5 for NT/2000 Server. After the upgrade we began getting these

    errors
    > >>during backup:
    > >>
    > >>An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..Primary. Could not find
    > >>filegroup 'Primary' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'. Unable to

    open
    > >>the item model?Primary - Skipped.
    > >>
    > >>The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the

    recovery
    > >>model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    > >ALTER
    > >>DATABASE.
    > >>
    > >>Unable to open Item msdb?Primary - skipped
    > >>
    > >>The Statement BACKUP DATABASE...FILE= is not allowed while the

    recovery
    > >>model is Simpl@. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using

    > >ALTER
    > >>DATABASE.
    > >>
    > >>Unable to open Item pubs?Primary - skipped
    > >>
    > >>Please help me to understand what is going on...
    > >>
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>
    > >>Justin

  7. Re: SQL Backup

    Thanks Alex. We unchecked the filegroup "Primary" from the selection "Filegroups
    in Primary" a few days ago and it now backs up without error, but does this
    mean that we won't be able to restore - or is this a dummy filegroup or something?
    Regards
    Peter

    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >You do not really want to backup SQL with a job that gets this message.

    You
    >will not get the transaction log in the backup job.
    >
    >Change the job definition selections to select the database name without

    the
    >text 'Filegroups in'. Click the MS SQL Server icon in the left pane and
    >select the database from the right pane.
    >
    >Alex
    >
    >"JY" wrote in message news:3b582a1e$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I am receiving the same error. Problem is the Model database is already

    >on
    >> Full. Switching other databases to full solved the error however, I am

    >still
    >> showing Unable to open item on Primary database Model.
    >>
    >> "Lee Bothwell" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >If you go into the properties of the SQL DB you are trying to backup,

    you
    >> >can change the recovery model from simple to full. This should fix the

    >> problem.

    >Backup

    >errors

    find

    >open

    >recovery
    >> >ALTER

    >recovery
    >> >ALTER

  8. Re: SQL Backup

    It means that now you will be able to restore. You have what is called a
    database backup and in SQL7 terms that means all filegroups plus the
    transaction log. Previously, you had what is called a filegroup backup,
    which only backs up that specific file. Filegroup backups should be
    considered an advanced option for very large databases, i.e., the backup
    window is not large enough to do a database backup.

    Veritas could have saved a lot folks some time and errors if they had hidden
    filegroups under the database icon.

    Alex

    "Peter Nightingale" wrote in message

    > Thanks Alex. We unchecked the filegroup "Primary" from the selection

    "Filegroups
    > in Primary" a few days ago and it now backs up without error, but does

    this
    > mean that we won't be able to restore - or is this a dummy filegroup or

    something?
    > Regards
    > Peter
    >
    > "Alex Moore" wrote:
    > >You do not really want to backup SQL with a job that gets this message.

    > You
    > >will not get the transaction log in the backup job.
    > >
    > >Change the job definition selections to select the database name without

    > the
    > >text 'Filegroups in'. Click the MS SQL Server icon in the left pane and
    > >select the database from the right pane.
    > >
    > >Alex
    > >
    > >"JY" wrote in message news:3b582a1e$1@hronntp01....
    > >>
    > >> I am receiving the same error. Problem is the Model database is

    already
    > >on
    > >> Full. Switching other databases to full solved the error however, I am

    > >still
    > >> showing Unable to open item on Primary database Model.

    > you

    the
    > >> problem.

    > >Backup