Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware?? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware?? - Veritas Backup Exec ; If so, HOW?? Installation instructions from Veritas are ALWAYS lacking. Does a client need to be pushed to the Novell server?? If so, how? I am running BENT v8.5 on a W2K Server SP1. I entered the serial number during ...

  1. Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    If so, HOW?? Installation instructions from Veritas are ALWAYS lacking.
    Does a client need to be pushed to the Novell server?? If so, how?

    I am running BENT v8.5 on a W2K Server SP1.

    I entered the serial number during the install process, but that's all.
    When I do a backup, the backup completes successfully -- BUT, when I restore
    some of the files, ALL of them come back smaller and corrupt.

    Thank you in advance,

    TR

  2. Re: Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    It's been a long time, but all I did was follow the steps in the Administrator's
    Manual.

    Timothy Ross wrote:

    > If so, HOW?? Installation instructions from Veritas are ALWAYS lacking.
    > Does a client need to be pushed to the Novell server?? If so, how?
    >
    > I am running BENT v8.5 on a W2K Server SP1.
    >
    > I entered the serial number during the install process, but that's all.
    > When I do a backup, the backup completes successfully -- BUT, when I restore
    > some of the files, ALL of them come back smaller and corrupt.
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > TR

  3. Re: Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    Make sure you use the "Novell Storage management services" from the backup
    selections tab. Otherwise your Novell backups are no good. If you don't
    have it, then search support for it, there are many doucments about it.
    You should be able to backup a novell server that does not have the agent.
    I am doing it until I can reboot a server to activate the agent. The agent
    is pushed to Netware from the Backup exec NT Install screen.

    "Timothy Ross" wrote:
    >If so, HOW?? Installation instructions from Veritas are ALWAYS lacking.
    >Does a client need to be pushed to the Novell server?? If so, how?
    >
    >I am running BENT v8.5 on a W2K Server SP1.
    >
    >I entered the serial number during the install process, but that's all.
    >When I do a backup, the backup completes successfully -- BUT, when I restore
    >some of the files, ALL of them come back smaller and corrupt.
    >
    >Thank you in advance,
    >
    >TR

  4. Re: Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    Timothy
    I'm backing up a Netware 4.11 server without the Netware agent.
    All I've done is set-up the GSNW on the NT server conected to the
    preferred netware server, mapped the Netware drives to the BE-NT server and
    off you go....no extra modules needed..

  5. Re: Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    Timothy
    I'm backing up a Netware 4.11 server without the Netware agent.
    All I've done is set-up the GSNW on the NT server conected to the
    preferred netware server, mapped the Netware drives to the BE-NT server and
    off you go....no extra modules needed..

  6. Re: Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    "Marco" wrote:

    >Timothy
    >I'm backing up a Netware 4.11 server without the Netware agent.
    >All I've done is set-up the GSNW on the NT server conected to the
    >preferred netware server, mapped the Netware drives to the BE-NT server

    and
    >off you go....no extra modules needed..

    As long as your backup window is long enough this should work.
    This gives you an upgrade path in case you need to have your
    backup finish quicker.

  7. Re: Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    Marco,

    Have you tested by restoring, too? We've installed the Remote Agent (for
    NW 4.11) on a Win2000 server and are getting "Access Denied" messages when
    time to backup the NW selections.

    I'm curious if your solution would be viable for us.

    Thanks.

    Nita

    "Marco" wrote:

    >Timothy
    >I'm backing up a Netware 4.11 server without the Netware agent.
    >All I've done is set-up the GSNW on the NT server conected to the
    >preferred netware server, mapped the Netware drives to the BE-NT server

    and
    >off you go....no extra modules needed..

  8. Re: Anyone installed the Remote Agent for Netware??

    I've tried backing up from a Win2K Pro machine to a Netware 5 server without
    the Remote Agent, and when restoring a file, it's completely blank (though
    it's the correct size). No errors were reported in any of the operations by
    BackupExec.
    Trying to back up thru a GSNW account on the NT Server gives a
    "device-specific error has occurred".
    Definitely try restoring before you rely on this method. If anyone gets it
    working properly, PLEASE let me know!

    brackett@ufl.edu

    "Nita Stull" wrote in message

    > Marco,
    >
    > Have you tested by restoring, too? We've installed the Remote Agent (for
    > NW 4.11) on a Win2000 server and are getting "Access Denied" messages when
    > time to backup the NW selections.
    >
    > I'm curious if your solution would be viable for us.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Nita
    >
    > "Marco" wrote:
    > >
    > >Timothy
    > >I'm backing up a Netware 4.11 server without the Netware agent.
    > >All I've done is set-up the GSNW on the NT server conected to the
    > >preferred netware server, mapped the Netware drives to the BE-NT server

    > and
    > >off you go....no extra modules needed..

+ Reply to Thread