Does anyone have a good backup plan skeleton? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Does anyone have a good backup plan skeleton? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am familiar with the general concepts of backup plans. But I have never really implemented a comprehensive plan and I was hoping someone might have a skeleton of a plan upon which I could build. Right now I am ...

  1. Does anyone have a good backup plan skeleton?

    I am familiar with the general concepts of backup plans. But I have never
    really implemented a comprehensive plan and I was hoping someone might have
    a skeleton of a plan upon which I could build.

    Right now I am planning for three sets of media, child, parent, and
    grandparent to be rotated weekly. I am thinking that I will be doing a full
    normal backup once per week, with incrementalbackups the other nights of the
    week. There are certainly directories that are highly volatile, and I may
    need to back these up slightly more often than once per day, but I am not
    sure of the implication here.

    Added to the mix is the type of backup device we will be using, a Dell power
    Vault 120. This device can handle up to 7 backup tapes. I have never
    worked with one of these before. I am not sure just how much data I will
    squeeze onto one tape, or whether I should segregate the full backups from
    the incremental backups or should I just let the the incrementals start
    where the full backups left off?

    Should I add another backup set and keep at least one off site? I think it
    is a good idea to keep at least one set of media off site, but I suppose
    there are various considerations about how and when to do this.

    Any sugggestions are greatly welcomed. Please reply to
    hstock@onproject.com.

  2. Re: Does anyone have a good backup plan skeleton?

    you should start by asking yourself a couple of questions...

    1) How much data (good approximation here) are you going to be backing up
    during a full backup? Incrementals? (Get this info by doing a few backups
    first, if these vary greatly... good luck planning)
    2) How long do you want to be able to recover from in-house media? From
    offsite media?

    You can assign media to groups a number of ways. Very popular ones are by
    days of the week and/or job type. Because we do not have that much media
    here, I just lump up the tapes to a job type and append to them a few days
    before overwriting the next one. This allows us to maximize our tape
    utilization and recovery window.

    There is no skeleton plan, all companies and their networks have different
    capabilities and needs. Just ask yourself questions about how you should
    start off and dive in as soon as possible. It may take a while to tweak it
    where you want it to be, but just stay on top of them.

    "Henry Stock" wrote in message
    > I am familiar with the general concepts of backup plans. But I have never
    > really implemented a comprehensive plan and I was hoping someone might

    have
    > a skeleton of a plan upon which I could build.
    >
    > Right now I am planning for three sets of media, child, parent, and
    > grandparent to be rotated weekly. I am thinking that I will be doing a

    full
    > normal backup once per week, with incrementalbackups the other nights of

    the
    > week. There are certainly directories that are highly volatile, and I may
    > need to back these up slightly more often than once per day, but I am not
    > sure of the implication here.
    >
    > Added to the mix is the type of backup device we will be using, a Dell

    power
    > Vault 120. This device can handle up to 7 backup tapes. I have never
    > worked with one of these before. I am not sure just how much data I will
    > squeeze onto one tape, or whether I should segregate the full backups from
    > the incremental backups or should I just let the the incrementals start
    > where the full backups left off?
    >
    > Should I add another backup set and keep at least one off site? I think

    it
    > is a good idea to keep at least one set of media off site, but I suppose
    > there are various considerations about how and when to do this.
    >
    > Any sugggestions are greatly welcomed. Please reply to
    > hstock@onproject.com.

+ Reply to Thread