BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN - Veritas Backup Exec ; This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup has failed on the system state for a Win2K server. The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent. I ...

  1. BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN

    This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup has
    failed on the system state for a Win2K server.

    The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent. I
    got "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped."

    Last night I got (on the local media server) "The item \\?\UNC\ name>\System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped."

    Both machines have the OFO option installed. What is going on? I *never*
    had this problem with 8.0 or 8.5. I'd like to get a formal response from
    Veritas.

  2. Re: BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN

    On 28 Jun 2001 09:58:39 -0400, "Derek"
    wrote:

    >This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup has
    >failed on the system state for a Win2K server.
    >
    >The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent. I
    >got "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped."
    >
    >Last night I got (on the local media server) "The item \\?\UNC\ >name>\System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped."
    >
    >Both machines have the OFO option installed. What is going on? I *never*
    >had this problem with 8.0 or 8.5. I'd like to get a formal response from
    >Veritas.

    imo Throw OFO in the trashbin

    Just for testing disable OFO before a job and se if its still fails.

    Dont exept VRTS to reply officially exept via tech support

  3. Re: BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN

    Flemming Riis wrote:
    >On 28 Jun 2001 09:58:39 -0400, "Derek"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup

    has
    >>failed on the system state for a Win2K server.
    >>
    >>The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent.

    >>got "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped."
    >>
    >>Last night I got (on the local media server) "The item \\?\UNC\ >>name>\System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped."
    >>
    >>Both machines have the OFO option installed. What is going on? I *never*
    >>had this problem with 8.0 or 8.5. I'd like to get a formal response from
    >>Veritas.

    >imo Throw OFO in the trashbin
    >
    >Just for testing disable OFO before a job and se if its still fails.
    >
    >Dont exept VRTS to reply officially exept via tech support

    I use the OFO with 8.0-8.5 with no problems for the last 18 months. 8.6 is
    BROKE!

  4. Re: BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN

    Check out the recent technotes on the Veritas support page. There is one,
    sometime last two months, that says not to use OFO with system state backups
    as it can fail to backup, ** or fail to restore **.

    Mark

    "Derek" wrote in message

    > This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup

    has
    > failed on the system state for a Win2K server.
    >
    > The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent. I
    > got "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped."
    >
    > Last night I got (on the local media server) "The item \\?\UNC\ > name>\System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped."
    >
    > Both machines have the OFO option installed. What is going on? I *never*
    > had this problem with 8.0 or 8.5. I'd like to get a formal response from
    > Veritas.

  5. Re: BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN

    I have been having the same problem on win 2000 professional where the backup
    locks up when trying to backup the system state using version 8.5. I too
    have OFO installed.

    In addition, any win nt workstations I attempt to backup lock up when b_exec
    tries to back up the "system" file from c:\winnt\system32\config

    I have tried installing patches and excluding the aforementioned areas of
    trouble from the backup jobs too little effect. The fact that even if I exclude
    this folder(winnt)/ sytem state (win2000) from the backup jobs and it still
    attempts to back them up regardless is quite annoying.

    I've been using this software for a few years now so I'd like to think I
    know how to exclude something from a backup job. If anyone at Veritas would
    like too respond, feel free as this kind of flaw negates the whole purpose
    of using the software.

    Ryan
    "Mark D. Spiteri" wrote:
    >Check out the recent technotes on the Veritas support page. There is one,
    >sometime last two months, that says not to use OFO with system state backups
    >as it can fail to backup, ** or fail to restore **.
    >
    >Mark
    >

    >"Derek" wrote in message
    >>
    >> This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup

    >has
    >> failed on the system state for a Win2K server.
    >>
    >> The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent.

    >> got "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped."
    >>
    >> Last night I got (on the local media server) "The item \\?\UNC\ >> name>\System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped."
    >>
    >> Both machines have the OFO option installed. What is going on? I *never*
    >> had this problem with 8.0 or 8.5. I'd like to get a formal response from
    >> Veritas.

  6. Re: BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN

    Derek,

    We are seeing this in 8.6 on several customer systems and NONE of them
    are using OFO. It's NOT OFO. The problem is 8.6 since system state
    backups were working great under 8.5. Please keep this thread updated
    with any fixes you find. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Joseph R. Worrall
    Lakewood Communications

    "Derek" wrote:

    >This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup has
    >failed on the system state for a Win2K server.
    >
    >The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent. I
    >got "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped."
    >
    >Last night I got (on the local media server) "The item \\?\UNC\ >name>\System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped."
    >
    >Both machines have the OFO option installed. What is going on? I *never*
    >had this problem with 8.0 or 8.5. I'd like to get a formal response from
    >Veritas.

  7. Re: BE 8.6 system state backup failures..AGAIN

    Hi,

    We have the same problem without OFO installed, and the systemstate backup
    logs System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped.

    Our diff-backup has 2 of 5 times this error in a week.

    I anybody has good ideas, please post it.

    Thanks

    Reinhard

    "Joseph R. Worrall" wrote in message
    > Derek,
    >
    > We are seeing this in 8.6 on several customer systems and NONE of them
    > are using OFO. It's NOT OFO. The problem is 8.6 since system state
    > backups were working great under 8.5. Please keep this thread updated
    > with any fixes you find. Thanks.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Joseph R. Worrall
    > Lakewood Communications
    >
    > "Derek" wrote:
    >

    > >This is the 2nd time in 4 days (since upgrading to 8.6) that the backup

    has
    > >failed on the system state for a Win2K server.
    > >
    > >The first time it happened it was on a machine using the remote agent. I
    > >got "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped."
    > >
    > >Last night I got (on the local media server) "The item \\?\UNC\ > >name>\System?State\Registration DB\Registration DB in use - skipped."
    > >
    > >Both machines have the OFO option installed. What is going on? I *never*
    > >had this problem with 8.0 or 8.5. I'd like to get a formal response from
    > >Veritas.

+ Reply to Thread