Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine??? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine??? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm currently running Backup Exec 8.5 on Windows 2000 SP1 using a Quantum DLT 35/70GB DLT External Drive. I never had a problem before with the software or the device but lately the backup gets about 1/3 the way through ...

  1. Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine???

    I'm currently running Backup Exec 8.5 on Windows 2000 SP1 using a Quantum
    DLT 35/70GB DLT External Drive. I never had a problem before with the
    software or the device but lately the backup gets about 1/3 the way through
    and reboots the Server. I can't find any service log that relates to this or
    anything in Backup Exec explaining why it reboots the machine. I can't have
    this machine rebooting on me as it has reports run from it every night and
    it's getting to be a problem. I've stopped the backup for now until I can
    find a solution. One thing I did find that fixed it for one day was that BE
    left a few 1.2GB temp files in the admin account temp folder. Deleting these
    helped the backup once, then I was back to square one. Any help would be
    GREATLY helpful, I'm going insane here.

    Thanks in Advance

  2. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine???

    I'm having the same problem on a Compaq ML370 using a Compag AIT 50/100 tape
    drive. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Veritas today. We are working on
    the problem and I will keep you all informed. This has happened about 10
    time to me in the last three months.

    JC

    "Juxtapose" wrote in message
    > I'm currently running Backup Exec 8.5 on Windows 2000 SP1 using a Quantum
    > DLT 35/70GB DLT External Drive. I never had a problem before with the
    > software or the device but lately the backup gets about 1/3 the way

    through
    > and reboots the Server. I can't find any service log that relates to this

    or
    > anything in Backup Exec explaining why it reboots the machine. I can't

    have
    > this machine rebooting on me as it has reports run from it every night and
    > it's getting to be a problem. I've stopped the backup for now until I can
    > find a solution. One thing I did find that fixed it for one day was that

    BE
    > left a few 1.2GB temp files in the admin account temp folder. Deleting

    these
    > helped the backup once, then I was back to square one. Any help would be
    > GREATLY helpful, I'm going insane here.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance

  3. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine???

    I have been having the problem for a year and a half. 8.5 helped but the
    real key was not running OFO. But that has caused other problems. I am on
    my third support incident - the first resulted in us buying a new controller
    card, the second a new tape drive, and the third incident is still unresolved
    since JANUARY 2001. We have been escalated twice, and it is "in software
    engineering."

    This is a problem that happens all over the place, but they dont seem to
    have a clue why. Dodge most of the answers and suggestions; first level
    support guys take a shotgun approach, none of which works. It is obviously
    a gnarly bug and because there are no tracks left behind, it has been a toughie.
    As a customer, I have spent untold hours doing tests and even recoveries
    (a few times the crash killed my server), and i have spent thousands of dollars
    on hardware I didnt really need.

    I should get free software for life.

    Larry

  4. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine???

    If the fixes didn't solve anything, why did you accept opening a second and third
    incident. If it ain't fixed, the incident ain't closed.

    Larry Heimendinger wrote:

    > I have been having the problem for a year and a half. 8.5 helped but the
    > real key was not running OFO. But that has caused other problems. I am on
    > my third support incident - the first resulted in us buying a new controller
    > card, the second a new tape drive, and the third incident is still unresolved
    > since JANUARY 2001. We have been escalated twice, and it is "in software
    > engineering."
    >
    > This is a problem that happens all over the place, but they dont seem to
    > have a clue why. Dodge most of the answers and suggestions; first level
    > support guys take a shotgun approach, none of which works. It is obviously
    > a gnarly bug and because there are no tracks left behind, it has been a toughie.
    > As a customer, I have spent untold hours doing tests and even recoveries
    > (a few times the crash killed my server), and i have spent thousands of dollars
    > on hardware I didnt really need.
    >
    > I should get free software for life.
    >
    > Larry

  5. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine???

    I'm have the same problem on NT after replacing a 2940 with an Adaptec
    19160.
    Locks up or reboots anywhere from 5%-90% complete.
    Looking for an answer.
    /Howard Sartori

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > If the fixes didn't solve anything, why did you accept opening a second

    and third
    > incident. If it ain't fixed, the incident ain't closed.
    >
    > Larry Heimendinger wrote:
    >
    > > I have been having the problem for a year and a half. 8.5 helped but

    the
    > > real key was not running OFO. But that has caused other problems. I am

    on
    > > my third support incident - the first resulted in us buying a new

    controller
    > > card, the second a new tape drive, and the third incident is still

    unresolved
    > > since JANUARY 2001. We have been escalated twice, and it is "in

    software
    > > engineering."
    > >
    > > This is a problem that happens all over the place, but they dont seem to
    > > have a clue why. Dodge most of the answers and suggestions; first level
    > > support guys take a shotgun approach, none of which works. It is

    obviously
    > > a gnarly bug and because there are no tracks left behind, it has been a

    toughie.
    > > As a customer, I have spent untold hours doing tests and even

    recoveries
    > > (a few times the crash killed my server), and i have spent thousands of

    dollars
    > > on hardware I didnt really need.
    > >
    > > I should get free software for life.
    > >
    > > Larry

  6. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 on Win2k Reboots the machine???

    Have you tried the latest Adaptec Drivers?

    Veritas wrote:

    > I'm have the same problem on NT after replacing a 2940 with an Adaptec
    > 19160.
    > Locks up or reboots anywhere from 5%-90% complete.
    > Looking for an answer.
    > /Howard Sartori
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > If the fixes didn't solve anything, why did you accept opening a second

    > and third
    > > incident. If it ain't fixed, the incident ain't closed.
    > >
    > > Larry Heimendinger wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have been having the problem for a year and a half. 8.5 helped but

    > the
    > > > real key was not running OFO. But that has caused other problems. I am

    > on
    > > > my third support incident - the first resulted in us buying a new

    > controller
    > > > card, the second a new tape drive, and the third incident is still

    > unresolved
    > > > since JANUARY 2001. We have been escalated twice, and it is "in

    > software
    > > > engineering."
    > > >
    > > > This is a problem that happens all over the place, but they dont seem to
    > > > have a clue why. Dodge most of the answers and suggestions; first level
    > > > support guys take a shotgun approach, none of which works. It is

    > obviously
    > > > a gnarly bug and because there are no tracks left behind, it has been a

    > toughie.
    > > > As a customer, I have spent untold hours doing tests and even

    > recoveries
    > > > (a few times the crash killed my server), and i have spent thousands of

    > dollars
    > > > on hardware I didnt really need.
    > > >
    > > > I should get free software for life.
    > > >
    > > > Larry