15 GB of data does not fit in a 24 GB tape ?!?!? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on 15 GB of data does not fit in a 24 GB tape ?!?!? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, We have BENT 7.2, NT Server 4.0 and a HP SureStore 24x6 Tape Drive. There are 15 GB of data to backup in a 24 GB tape, but the job shows an alert message to mount another tape ! ...

  1. 15 GB of data does not fit in a 24 GB tape ?!?!?

    Hello,

    We have BENT 7.2, NT Server 4.0 and a HP SureStore 24x6 Tape Drive.
    There are 15 GB of data to backup in a 24 GB tape, but the job shows an alert
    message to mount another tape !
    The job is normal,overwrite and the compression is set to : Hardware (if
    avaliable, otherwise software).
    Is there a way to do this better, in one tape only ?
    Help would be very appreciated !

    Thanks,

    Alex.

  2. Re: 15 GB of data does not fit in a 24 GB tape ?!?!?

    The tapes are rated for 12/24GB. You will only get 24GB on the tape if you
    can get 2:1 compression. Typically if you are backing up alot of files that
    are already compressed you will not be able to get the full amount of data
    on the tapes. It seems you are not getting very good compression so you will
    have to load a second tape.

    Trey

    "Alex Luz" wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have BENT 7.2, NT Server 4.0 and a HP SureStore 24x6 Tape Drive.
    > There are 15 GB of data to backup in a 24 GB tape, but the job shows an

    alert
    > message to mount another tape !
    > The job is normal,overwrite and the compression is set to : Hardware (if
    > avaliable, otherwise software).
    > Is there a way to do this better, in one tape only ?
    > Help would be very appreciated !
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alex.

  3. Re: 15 GB of data does not fit in a 24 GB tape ?!?!?

    Certain file compress better than others you will hardly ever see 2:1
    compression and at best might see 1:5 I have come to the position that if I
    get any more than the rated native capacity I'm happy.

    Try software compression just see ( I doubt any improvement). If you can try
    different backup types Full followed by Differential or Incremental (Incr
    uses less media)

    Lawrence
    "Alex Luz" wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have BENT 7.2, NT Server 4.0 and a HP SureStore 24x6 Tape Drive.
    > There are 15 GB of data to backup in a 24 GB tape, but the job shows an

    alert
    > message to mount another tape !
    > The job is normal,overwrite and the compression is set to : Hardware (if
    > avaliable, otherwise software).
    > Is there a way to do this better, in one tape only ?
    > Help would be very appreciated !
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alex.

+ Reply to Thread