Re-Catalog Old Backup Tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re-Catalog Old Backup Tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, We have two old servers that we are planning to reformat and reconfigure. However, those two old servers backup tapes held the office data since 1995. And now we had installed two new servers with the new DLT Tape ...

  1. Re-Catalog Old Backup Tape

    Hi,

    We have two old servers that we are planning to reformat and reconfigure.

    However, those two old servers backup tapes held the office data since 1995.
    And now we had installed two new servers with the new DLT Tape backup.

    My questions are:

    What if after I reformat the hard drive and configure the old servers and
    backup tape, can we recatalog the tape if we have to restore the files?

    Should I configure the computer name exactly as original?

    Will the tape backup look for the original structure of the folders that
    was created before?

    Thank you for your help. I really apprecite it.

    Regards,

    Tobin

  2. Re: Re-Catalog Old Backup Tape

    replies in-line
    "Tobin Halim" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have two old servers that we are planning to reformat and reconfigure.
    >

    > However, those two old servers backup tapes held the office data since

    1995.
    > And now we had installed two new servers with the new DLT Tape backup.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > What if after I reformat the hard drive and configure the old servers and
    > backup tape, can we recatalog the tape if we have to restore the files?

    sure, but you can copy the entire \Catalogs directory to the new server,
    stop BENT, delete BETOPCAT.IDX, and restart BENT to avoid having to
    re-catalog

    > Should I configure the computer name exactly as original?

    No need to, but you can if you want

    > Will the tape backup look for the original structure of the folders that
    > was created before?

    If you mean will the jobs that you currently have still be there, if you
    copy the entire \BackupExec\NT tree to the new server and install on top,
    then yes, the old jobs will still be ther

    > Thank you for your help. I really apprecite it.
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Tobin

+ Reply to Thread