SQL Filegroups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Filegroups - Veritas Backup Exec ; I always get this error message once SQL Filegroups are selected to be backup: "An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ SQL Server returned the following error message: BACKUP LOG is not allowed ...

  1. SQL Filegroups

    I always get this error message once SQL Filegroups are selected to be
    backup:

    "An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped"

    I understand that this has to do with truncate option enable on the
    database. Since I will like to leave this option on as it is on my
    database, is there any way around it to still be able to backup the
    filegroups successfully.

    Thanks,
    Akin

  2. Re: SQL Filegroups

    There is a way around this. Do not backup the filegroups individually.
    Only select the database for your backups. Select the MS SQL Server icon on
    the left pane and scroll (if necessary) the right pane and select the msdb
    entry that does NOT say 'Filegroups in msdb'.

    Alex

    "Akinola Oke" wrote in message

    > I always get this error message once SQL Filegroups are selected to be
    > backup:
    >
    > "An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >
    > BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    enabled.
    > Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped"
    >
    > I understand that this has to do with truncate option enable on the
    > database. Since I will like to leave this option on as it is on my
    > database, is there any way around it to still be able to backup the
    > filegroups successfully.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Akin

  3. Re: SQL Filegroups

    Thanks Alex. This is actually what I have been doing normally, I only thought
    there is another way in backing up the filegroups as well without getting
    these error messages.

    So, I just have to keep it the way I have been doing it.

    Regards,
    Akin

    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >There is a way around this. Do not backup the filegroups individually.
    >Only select the database for your backups. Select the MS SQL Server icon

    on
    >the left pane and scroll (if necessary) the right pane and select the msdb
    >entry that does NOT say 'Filegroups in msdb'.
    >
    >Alex
    >
    >"Akinola Oke" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I always get this error message once SQL Filegroups are selected to be
    >> backup:
    >>
    >> "An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >>
    >> BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    >enabled.
    >> Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >>
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped"
    >>
    >> I understand that this has to do with truncate option enable on the
    >> database. Since I will like to leave this option on as it is on my
    >> database, is there any way around it to still be able to backup the
    >> filegroups successfully.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Akin

+ Reply to Thread