backup compression problem - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on backup compression problem - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi One of my client is using DDS3 DAT drive (24 GB in compression mode) The compression type they are using is, Hardware [If available, otherwise software] But DAT comes out after coping of 17,832,39.. byte of data and their ...

  1. backup compression problem

    Hi

    One of my client is using DDS3 DAT drive (24 GB in compression mode) The
    compression type they are using is, Hardware [If available, otherwise software]
    But DAT comes out after coping of 17,832,39.. byte of data and their total
    size of data is 18 ~ 19 GB. I had tried all the compression type even only
    hardware, but it doesn't work. When the Dat capacity is if 24 GB compression
    then why it comes out after 17 GB when taking the backup of 19 GB data.
    If any body facing the sililiar problem please give the reply

  2. backup compression problem

    Basically it depends on the types of data being compressed. Some will
    compress well and others will not. 2:1 compression is a "rough"
    estimate if, and only if, the data can be compressed enough.

    If you've got 'that' much data that doesn't compress well, your only
    option is to get a DDS4 or other type of backup drive or exclude stuff
    that doesn't require daily backups.