Sloooow Backups Version 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Sloooow Backups Version 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm having trouble with very slow backups while using the remote agent for BackupExec v8.5. Here is what I see in the log without the remote agent: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup WARNING: ...

  1. Sloooow Backups Version 8.5

    I'm having trouble with very slow backups while using the remote agent for
    BackupExec v8.5. Here is what I see in the log without the remote agent:

    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.

    Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.

    Media Name: "THURS 1-4"
    Backup of "\\NORTHWEST1\G$ "
    Backup set #4 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "THURS 1-4"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 6/21/2001 at 6:07:08 PM.

    Backup completed on 6/21/2001 at 6:40:45 PM.
    Backed up 29416 files in 3455 directories.
    Processed 5,374,833,823 bytes in 33 minutes and 37 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 152.5 MB/min

    Please note the 152 MB./min throughput. Here it is with the agent installed:

    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 6/11/2001 06:30:04 PM"
    Backup of "\\NORTHWEST1\G$ "
    Backup set #4 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "TEST"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 6/12/2001 at 6:42:07 AM.
    Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 6/12/2001 at 6:43:15 AM.
    Backed up 3 files in 4 directories.
    Processed 1,895,720 bytes in 1 minute and 8 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 1.6 MB/min

    This is a Windows 2000 sever attempting to backup another Windows 2000
    server. Yes, I have purchased licenses for the remote agents. I submitted a
    request to Veritas support on their web site about the slow backups but they
    indicated it must be due to network problems. I wonder why, if it's due to
    network problems, it's almost 100 times faster without the agent (same
    network) as it is with the agent and I also don't get the "drive not
    responding" error. I've asked Veritas the same question with the above data
    but haven't heard back yet. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Kevin W. Miller

  2. Re: Sloooow Backups Version 8.5

    he low transfer rate is because BENT is counting the time it waiting for the
    device in the total job time

    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236368.htm for some tweaks that should
    help.

    "Kevin W. Miller" wrote:

    > I'm having trouble with very slow backups while using the remote agent for
    > BackupExec v8.5. Here is what I see in the log without the remote agent:

    > Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    > WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    > Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    > Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    > and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    > workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    > Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    > while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >
    > Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.
    >
    > Media Name: "THURS 1-4"
    > Backup of "\\NORTHWEST1\G$ "
    > Backup set #4 on storage media #1
    > Backup set description: "THURS 1-4"
    > Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > Backup started on 6/21/2001 at 6:07:08 PM.
    >
    > Backup completed on 6/21/2001 at 6:40:45 PM.
    > Backed up 29416 files in 3455 directories.
    > Processed 5,374,833,823 bytes in 33 minutes and 37 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 152.5 MB/min
    >
    > Please note the 152 MB./min throughput. Here it is with the agent installed:

    > Performing Remote Agent backup
    >
    > Media Name: "Media created 6/11/2001 06:30:04 PM"
    > Backup of "\\NORTHWEST1\G$ "
    > Backup set #4 on storage media #1
    > Backup set description: "TEST"
    > Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > Backup started on 6/12/2001 at 6:42:07 AM.
    > Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > Backup completed on 6/12/2001 at 6:43:15 AM.
    > Backed up 3 files in 4 directories.
    > Processed 1,895,720 bytes in 1 minute and 8 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 1.6 MB/min
    >
    > This is a Windows 2000 sever attempting to backup another Windows 2000
    > server. Yes, I have purchased licenses for the remote agents. I submitted a
    > request to Veritas support on their web site about the slow backups but they
    > indicated it must be due to network problems. I wonder why, if it's due to
    > network problems, it's almost 100 times faster without the agent (same
    > network) as it is with the agent and I also don't get the "drive not
    > responding" error. I've asked Veritas the same question with the above data
    > but haven't heard back yet. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin W. Miller

  3. Re: Sloooow Backups Version 8.5 - Fixed

    Ken,
    Thanks. I'd already tried those suggestions as well as some sent to me from
    Veritas support suggesting I alter some registry keys pertaining to buffer
    sizes but neither one worked. I fixed it by (from a suggestion in an ealier
    thread) completely removing the remote agent from the remote server. I also
    removed every trace of it I could find in the registry. I then re-installed
    it by running "\cdrom\WINNT\INSTALL\ENG\I386\NTAA\setupaa.cmd on the remote
    server. I'm now getting over 250 MB/minute transfer rates.
    Thanks,
    Kevin W. Miller

+ Reply to Thread