Using Backup Exec 8.0 and going crazy - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Using Backup Exec 8.0 and going crazy - Veritas Backup Exec ; Help!!! I am using BE 8.0 on a W2K Server. I schedule backups to run each night and I have never had any trainig in this program so I am trying to do as much as possible. I upgraded my ...

  1. Using Backup Exec 8.0 and going crazy

    Help!!!

    I am using BE 8.0 on a W2K Server. I schedule backups to run each night
    and I have never had any trainig in this program so I am trying to do as
    much as possible. I upgraded my tape drive drivers (OnStream ADR 50 Drive)to
    the latest version b/c I was having problems with the drive ejecting the
    tape. Well all in all went well after this. My tape was ejected in th morning
    and I did not have to shut down the server, unplug the SCSI cable from the
    drive and replug it back to the drive and boot the server to retrieve the
    tape.

    The next evening I run thesame back up and my System Log is full. I then
    have to abort the job as it has been running, trying to verify for 12 hours.
    It only seems to have problems when it is verifying the data after the backup
    is complete. After aborting the job my drive still remains to be running
    as I cannot eject the tape. If I re-boot the system that does not stop the
    drive to appear to be running, I have to re-boot the server, unplug the SCSI
    cable and plug it back in and boot the server to allow me to eject the tape
    from the drive.

    Does anyone know what would cause the drive not to stop running if the backup
    has been aborted? I have already changed SCSI cables, upgraded drive drivers
    and Firmware.

    What causes the system log to become full?

    The following message is what Backup Exec reads:

    Storage device "OnStream 1" reported an error on a request to read data from
    media.

    Error reported:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

    If anyone thinks they could help I could use it.

  2. Re: Using Backup Exec 8.0 and going crazy

    If by "System Log" you mean the Windows 2000 System Log, then it becomes full
    if it doesn't have an overwrite policy defined. You can tell it to overwrite
    items more than a given number of days old, or just as needed. It may have
    filled up if you're logging a large number of device errors.

    Graham

    "Vanessa Backman" wrote:

    >Help!!!
    >
    >I am using BE 8.0 on a W2K Server. I schedule backups to run each night
    >and I have never had any trainig in this program so I am trying to do as
    >much as possible. I upgraded my tape drive drivers (OnStream ADR 50 Drive)to
    >the latest version b/c I was having problems with the drive ejecting the
    >tape. Well all in all went well after this. My tape was ejected in th

    morning
    >and I did not have to shut down the server, unplug the SCSI cable from the
    >drive and replug it back to the drive and boot the server to retrieve the
    >tape.
    >
    >The next evening I run thesame back up and my System Log is full. I then
    >have to abort the job as it has been running, trying to verify for 12 hours.
    > It only seems to have problems when it is verifying the data after the

    backup
    >is complete. After aborting the job my drive still remains to be running
    >as I cannot eject the tape. If I re-boot the system that does not stop

    the
    >drive to appear to be running, I have to re-boot the server, unplug the

    SCSI
    >cable and plug it back in and boot the server to allow me to eject the tape
    >from the drive.
    >
    >Does anyone know what would cause the drive not to stop running if the backup
    >has been aborted? I have already changed SCSI cables, upgraded drive drivers
    >and Firmware.
    >
    >What causes the system log to become full?
    >
    >The following message is what Backup Exec reads:
    >
    >Storage device "OnStream 1" reported an error on a request to read data

    from
    >media.
    >
    >Error reported:
    >The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    >
    >If anyone thinks they could help I could use it.

  3. Re: Using Backup Exec 8.0 and going crazy

    Check the event viewer's system log...

    if you are receiving event ID's 7, 9, 11, or 15 that signifies a hardware
    failure.....call Onstream Tech support.

    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q259/2/37.asp

    "Vanessa Backman" wrote in message

    > Help!!!
    >
    > I am using BE 8.0 on a W2K Server. I schedule backups to run each night
    > and I have never had any trainig in this program so I am trying to do as
    > much as possible. I upgraded my tape drive drivers (OnStream ADR 50

    Drive)to
    > the latest version b/c I was having problems with the drive ejecting the
    > tape. Well all in all went well after this. My tape was ejected in th

    morning
    > and I did not have to shut down the server, unplug the SCSI cable from the
    > drive and replug it back to the drive and boot the server to retrieve the
    > tape.
    >
    > The next evening I run thesame back up and my System Log is full. I then
    > have to abort the job as it has been running, trying to verify for 12

    hours.
    > It only seems to have problems when it is verifying the data after the

    backup
    > is complete. After aborting the job my drive still remains to be running
    > as I cannot eject the tape. If I re-boot the system that does not stop

    the
    > drive to appear to be running, I have to re-boot the server, unplug the

    SCSI
    > cable and plug it back in and boot the server to allow me to eject the

    tape
    > from the drive.
    >
    > Does anyone know what would cause the drive not to stop running if the

    backup
    > has been aborted? I have already changed SCSI cables, upgraded drive

    drivers
    > and Firmware.
    >
    > What causes the system log to become full?
    >
    > The following message is what Backup Exec reads:
    >
    > Storage device "OnStream 1" reported an error on a request to read data

    from
    > media.
    >
    > Error reported:
    > The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    >
    > If anyone thinks they could help I could use it.

+ Reply to Thread