Exchange 5.5 and BENT - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange 5.5 and BENT - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am using Veritas's BENT to backup my Exchange server. Some folks tell me to use the Exch. Agent and OFO. Others tell me not to use the OFO agent. I am backing the server up remotely. I have Remote ...

  1. Exchange 5.5 and BENT

    I am using Veritas's BENT to backup my Exchange server. Some folks tell me
    to use the Exch. Agent and OFO. Others tell me not to use the OFO agent. I
    am backing the server up remotely. I have Remote agent and the OFO
    installed on it and BENT and the Exchange agent on my b'up server. Is this
    correct or should I nix the OFO on the Exchange server?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Exchange 5.5 and BENT

    coluen,
    Like my reply in ms.public.exchange.admin, I recommend that you
    immediately disable the OFO option on that Exchange server. To backup an
    Exchange server, backup the IS and DS. In my experience, the time spent
    every night archiving the rest of the NT installation and the Exchange
    binaries is usually a waste. Why backup something that can easily be
    retrieved, either from CD or network share. If you use Dell servers, the
    Server Installation assistance CD may allow you to rebuild the server from
    scratch within 30 minutes. Reinstallation of Exchange, the correct SP and
    any hotfixes, your tape backup software, and you are recovering your
    database within 45 minutes. If you use a Compaq integration server, you
    could have that done in less than 20 minutes. If you have to do it the
    other way, you have to still install NT, install your backup software, and
    then start your recovery, not knowing if the cause of the problem might have
    been recorded to tape, in which case you are reintroducing your problem....
    "coluen" wrote in message news:3b32013b$1@hronntp01....
    > I am using Veritas's BENT to backup my Exchange server. Some folks tell

    me
    > to use the Exch. Agent and OFO. Others tell me not to use the OFO agent.

    > am backing the server up remotely. I have Remote agent and the OFO
    > installed on it and BENT and the Exchange agent on my b'up server. Is

    this
    > correct or should I nix the OFO on the Exchange server?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Exchange 5.5 and BENT

    I am have been advised that the best way to backups Exchange is

    Perform a COLD backup on a weekend (ie. Stopping the Services), And
    perform Exchange Agent backups during the week.

    I also use IDR thus in a Restore situation all I need to do is use IDR
    to get the restored. And then apply the weekly backup ontop.

    SIMPLE

    The questions I would like to raise about the other replies are:

    Quote:
    "In my experience, the time spent
    >every night archiving the rest of the NT installation and the Exchange
    >binaries is usually a waste. Why backup something that can easily be
    >retrieved, either from CD or network share. If you use Dell servers, the
    >Server Installation assistance CD may allow you to rebuild the server from
    >scratch within 30 minutes. Reinstallation of Exchange, the correct SP and
    >any hotfixes, your tape backup software, and you are recovering your
    >database within 45 minutes"

    Ok. In a Restore situation, are you telling me that
    a) You know how your disk volumes are setup ?
    b) You know where ALL SPs and Hotfixes are ?
    c) All the latest drivers are to hand ?
    d) The network configuration documentd ?

    But I do agree with OFO on exchange. Do not use it. Veritas have
    recently brought our lots of new products to backup exchange apart
    from the Exchange agent for BENT, so why not check some of those

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:41:00 -0400, "Stever"
    wrote:

    >coluen,
    > Like my reply in ms.public.exchange.admin, I recommend that you
    >immediately disable the OFO option on that Exchange server. To backup an
    >Exchange server, backup the IS and DS. In my experience, the time spent
    >every night archiving the rest of the NT installation and the Exchange
    >binaries is usually a waste. Why backup something that can easily be
    >retrieved, either from CD or network share. If you use Dell servers, the
    >Server Installation assistance CD may allow you to rebuild the server from
    >scratch within 30 minutes. Reinstallation of Exchange, the correct SP and
    >any hotfixes, your tape backup software, and you are recovering your
    >database within 45 minutes. If you use a Compaq integration server, you
    >could have that done in less than 20 minutes. If you have to do it the
    >other way, you have to still install NT, install your backup software, and
    >then start your recovery, not knowing if the cause of the problem might have
    >been recorded to tape, in which case you are reintroducing your problem....
    >"coluen" wrote in message news:3b32013b$1@hronntp01....
    >> I am using Veritas's BENT to backup my Exchange server. Some folks tell

    >me
    >> to use the Exch. Agent and OFO. Others tell me not to use the OFO agent.

    >> am backing the server up remotely. I have Remote agent and the OFO
    >> installed on it and BENT and the Exchange agent on my b'up server. Is

    >this
    >> correct or should I nix the OFO on the Exchange server?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: Exchange 5.5 and BENT

    Andrew,
    So you have to work every weekend, or do you trust the netstop and
    netstart script to allow you to perform an offline backup every week? I am
    not that trusting of a soul to hope that an "automated" shutdown and startup
    will perform reliably on a production system. Besides, my server runs 24x7,
    how many hours downtime are you getting each week? My SLA's (99.99% uptime)
    leave me little lee-way to use a system like that. Basically, I do an
    offline backup about once every 3 months, within a scheduled maintenance
    window(still counts against uptime, but I still meet my goals).
    Have you tried using IDR to restore your server in a test environment?
    Have you timed it? How long has it taken in comparison to a manual server
    rebuild? Has it worked? My recovery server is NOT identical to my
    production server, therefore the IDR is not easily tested in my environment.
    The other questions you raised are
    >>In a Restore situation, are you telling me that
    >>a) You know how your disk volumes are setup ?

    Yes, exactly. I even have the RAID controller settings documented to
    reflect the desired cluster size in my IS array.
    >>b) You know where ALL SPs and Hotfixes are ?

    Yes, exactly. Every necessary item is stored in lock location in my server
    lab, in fire-resistant storage.
    >>c) All the latest drivers are to hand ?

    Yes, in same place as all SPs and hotfix media.
    >>d) The network configuration documentd ?

    Yes, in same place as above, as well as off site storage. Even down to the
    configuration of the switch settings and a copy of the switch configuration
    command sequence for the switch trunk for the multi-port NICs.

    Yes, I am paranoid, and I am thorough(also verbose...). I also use the IDR
    as a secondary method.... But I have not relied on it. I have only had to
    actually restore one production server in 6 years dealing with Exchange 5.x.
    In that instance, I desired a configuration change to the NT system that
    invalidated my IDR disk set anyways. My monthly recovery practice sessions
    do NOT encompass the IDR, as I want to thoroughly understand each part of
    the process and document it thoroughly.
    However, since the IDR is an additional charge that others may not have
    purchased, I usually recommend that admins start with the basics. Then they
    may use the other tools when _they_ have tested them and _they_ feel secure
    in using those tools within their limitations.

    news:3b330dfc.933644640@news.support.veritas.com.. .

    > >> I am using Veritas's BENT to backup my Exchange server. Some folks

    tell
    > >me
    > >> to use the Exch. Agent and OFO. Others tell me not to use the OFO

    agent.
    > >> am backing the server up remotely. I have Remote agent and the OFO
    > >> installed on it and BENT and the Exchange agent on my b'up server. Is

    > >this
    > >> correct or should I nix the OFO on the Exchange server?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread