Not overwriting tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Not overwriting tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am using BE 8.5 and have an Exabyte Autoloader. As the tapes come back through rotation I am not getting them to overwrite the old data with the new. It tells me "The media provided to continue the backup ...

  1. Not overwriting tapes

    I am using BE 8.5 and have an Exabyte Autoloader. As the tapes come back
    through rotation I am not getting them to overwrite the old data with the
    new.

    It tells me "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    from one or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not
    be continued"

    The tapes hold 150GB and I only need to backup 70GB of data. I have the job
    set to Overwrite Media when the job begins. I am using software
    compression. The Media Overwrite is set to None and Prompt before
    overwriting allocated or imported media is unchecked. I have one media set
    where all tapes are listed.

  2. Re: Not overwriting tapes

    This error means that you have filled the tape, and BENT has tried to re-load
    the same tape to continue the job.
    Is the loader partitioned, with the job pointed at a single slot? Do you
    "inventory all" when swap magazines, so that BENT knows that other scratch tapes
    are available?

    150GB - Is that native or at some compression rate? if it is native, then you
    do have a problem somewhere, if it is with compression, then the answer is that
    you are not getting compression that high during the job. Are you using H/W or
    S/W compression? If H/W try S/W for one run, (the compression ratios won't be
    exactly the same, but they will be close.) to see what kind of compression you
    are getting

    Stone wrote:

    > I am using BE 8.5 and have an Exabyte Autoloader. As the tapes come back
    > through rotation I am not getting them to overwrite the old data with the
    > new.
    >
    > It tells me "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    > from one or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not
    > be continued"
    >
    > The tapes hold 150GB and I only need to backup 70GB of data. I have the job
    > set to Overwrite Media when the job begins. I am using software
    > compression. The Media Overwrite is set to None and Prompt before
    > overwriting allocated or imported media is unchecked. I have one media set
    > where all tapes are listed.

  3. Re: Not overwriting tapes

    I have each slot partitioned into its own. I have 4 tape drives in the
    backup device. I run one tape in each drive backing up different servers
    each night.

    I would say I am not doing an inventory all because I don't even know how to
    do that! sorry.

    150GB is compress and it is 80GB native. I have at total of 73GB uncompress
    data to backup on those servers.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > This error means that you have filled the tape, and BENT has tried to

    re-load
    > the same tape to continue the job.
    > Is the loader partitioned, with the job pointed at a single slot? Do you
    > "inventory all" when swap magazines, so that BENT knows that other scratch

    tapes
    > are available?
    >
    > 150GB - Is that native or at some compression rate? if it is native, then

    you
    > do have a problem somewhere, if it is with compression, then the answer is

    that
    > you are not getting compression that high during the job. Are you using

    H/W or
    > S/W compression? If H/W try S/W for one run, (the compression ratios

    won't be
    > exactly the same, but they will be close.) to see what kind of compression

    you
    > are getting
    >
    > Stone wrote:
    >
    > > I am using BE 8.5 and have an Exabyte Autoloader. As the tapes come

    back
    > > through rotation I am not getting them to overwrite the old data with

    the
    > > new.
    > >
    > > It tells me "The media provided to continue the backup already contains

    data
    > > from one or more sets created during this operation. The operation can

    not
    > > be continued"
    > >
    > > The tapes hold 150GB and I only need to backup 70GB of data. I have the

    job
    > > set to Overwrite Media when the job begins. I am using software
    > > compression. The Media Overwrite is set to None and Prompt before
    > > overwriting allocated or imported media is unchecked. I have one media

    set
    > > where all tapes are listed.

+ Reply to Thread