Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox - Veritas Backup Exec ; WTF!!!!, lol for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts for a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done *mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open ...

  1. Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    WTF!!!!, lol

    for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts for
    a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done

    *mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    administrator) in winnt\sys32

    *i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server

    *i am logged in and all services are started as backexec

    *installed exchange administrator on backup server

    Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma

    Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

  2. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    I just had the same issue and fixed by following these steps in te KB article.

    You need to make sure that the mail profile name is EXACTLY the same as listed
    by windows messaging. Control Panel Mail - profiles! If your existing one
    is named "Microsoft Exchange Settings" then you need to specify that. Make
    sure you have a mailbox for the service account as well. Make sure you have
    outlook installed. Make sure you are logged in as the sertvice account.

    The error message "The mailbox name or password is incorrect" is displayed
    in Backup Exec for Windows NT v6.x when setting up e-mail notification for
    a scheduled job
    TechNote ID: 191644 Last Updated: January 18 2000 09:37 PM GMT
    Email this document to a friend 010--101812 010-101812 010101812

    Caution! The information in this TechNote is based upon certain assumptions,
    including product, operating system and platform versions. You can review
    this information in the TechNote Summary portion of this document.
    This document (191644) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of
    this document.

    Symptom:

    The error message "The mailbox name or password is incorrect" is displayed
    in Backup Exec for Windows NT v6.x when setting up e-mail notification for
    a scheduled job

    Exact Error Message:

    The mailbox name or password is incorrect

    Solution:

    The mailbox error message (Figure 1) is displayed because the e-mail profile
    Backup Exec is attempting to use does not exist when logged in as the user
    listed under the Backup Exec (TM) Server service. E-mail notification must
    be setup while logged on as the user listed under the Backup Exec (TM) Server
    service and the email profile being used must be available while logged in
    as that user (profiles are user dependent). Step-by-step instructions for
    setting up e-mail notification (including when Backup Exec is located on
    a Resource Domain) follows:

    To setup email notification using the email client (either Exchange Inbox
    or Outlook), follow these steps (pay close attention to step #4):

    1. Close Backup Exec and ExecView.
    2. In Control Panel | Services (Figure 2) and double click on the Backup
    Exec (TM) Server service. Write down the user listed under "This Account"
    (Figure 3).
    3. Verify that the user in step #2 has an email ID.
    4. Log on to Windows NT as the user in step #2.
    5. Start the email client (either Exchange Inbox or Outlook) and create
    a profile. The profile name should be the same name as the user in step
    #2.
    6. Exit the email client.
    7. Start the email client again. Using the Tools | Options | General menu,
    verify the profile was created.
    8. Exit the email client.
    9. Start Backup Exec.
    10. Go to the Jobs | Setup | Schedule menu and either add or change an existing
    scheduled job.
    11. Click on the "Email" button.
    12. Check the "Enable mail" box (Figure 4).
    13. For "Mail Logon", type in the email profile name (from step #5).
    14. For "Password", type in the email profile password.
    15. Then click on the address button and choose the users the email notification
    should be sent to.
    16. Select the "OK" button and then exit Backup Exec.

    Note 1: Please use Outlook or the Windows NT Exchange Client (that comes
    with the Exchange Server software) instead of the "Windows Messaging" application
    that comes with Windows NT 4.0. The "Windows Messaging" application that
    comes with Windows NT 4.0 will not send e-mail until logged off, then logged
    back on to "Windows Messaging."

    Note 2: If using Microsoft Mail as the e-mail server, e-mail will not
    be sent until logged off, then logged back on to the email client (either
    Exchange Inbox or Outlook).

    To setup email notification using the email client (either Exchange Inbox
    or Outlook) when Backup Exec for Windows NT is on a Resource Domain, follow
    these steps (pay close attention to step #4):

    1. Close Backup Exec and ExecView.
    2. In Control Panel | Services (Figure 2) and double click on the Backup
    Exec (TM) Server service. Write down the user listed under "This Account"
    (Figure 3). This account should be a Master Domain account.
    3. Verify that the user in step #2 has an email ID.
    4. Log in to Windows NT as the user in step #2. (Remember to logon to the
    Master Domain).
    #2.
    6. Exit the email client.
    7. Start the email client again. Using the Tools | Options | General menu,
    verify the profile was created.
    8. Exit the email client.
    9. Start Backup Exec.
    10. Go to the Jobs | Setup | Schedule menu and either add or change an existing
    job.
    11. Click on the "Email" button.
    12. Check the "Enable mail" box (Figure 4).
    13. For "Mail Logon", type in the email profile name (from step #5).
    14. For "Password', type in the email profile password.
    15. Then click on the address button and choose the users the email notification
    will be sent to.
    16. Select the "OK" button and then exit Backup Exec.

    For example, to send email notification using the "Backup" account that is
    located in the Master Domain called "World", then:

    The user listed under the Backup Exec Service accounts should be "World\Backup"
    (step #2)
    The user should be logged in to "World" domain (the Master Domain) as "Backup"
    (step #4)
    The user listed in "Mail Logon" in Backup Exec (step #13) should be "Backup"
    (do not type in the domain name).

    Note 1: Please use Outlook or the Windows NT Exchange Client (that comes
    with the Exchange Server software) instead of the "Windows Messaging" application
    that comes with Windows NT 4.0. The "Windows Messaging" application that
    comes with Windows NT 4.0 will not send e-mail until logged off, then logged
    back on to "Windows Messaging."

    Note 2: If using Microsoft Mail as the e-mail server, email will not be
    sent until logged off, then logged back on to the e-mail client (either Exchange
    Inbox or Outlook).

    Figure 1

    Figure 2

    Figure 3

    Figure 4

    TechNote Summary:
    TechNote Title: The error message "The mailbox name or password is incorrect"
    is displayed in Backup Exec for Windows NT v6.x when setting up e-mail notification
    for a scheduled job
    TechNote ID: 191644
    Last Updated: January 18 2000 09:37 PM GMT
    This information in this TechNote applies to:
    Products: Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 6.11

    Subject: Application - Notification
    Application - Scheduler

    Languages: English

    Operating Systems: Windows NT 3.51 Serv, 3.51 Wkst, 4.0 Serv, 4.0 Wkst

    VERITAS Software, 1600 Plymouth Street, Mountain View, California 94043
    World Wide Web: http://www.veritas.com
    Tech Support Web: http://support.veritas.com
    E-Mail for Classic VERITAS Products: support@veritas.com
    E-Mail for Classic Seagate Software Products: helpdesk@support.veritas.com
    FTP:ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com or http://ftp.support.veritas.com

    THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE VERITAS SOFTWARE KNOWLEDGE BASE IS PROVIDED
    "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. VERITAS SOFTWARE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES,
    EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL VERITAS SOFTWARE OR ITS
    SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT,
    INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN
    IF VERITAS SOFTWARE OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
    OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF
    LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION
    MAY NOT APPLY.

    "Fabian Sanchez" wrote:
    >WTF!!!!, lol
    >
    >for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts

    for
    >a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done
    >
    >*mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    >administrator) in winnt\sys32
    >
    >*i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server
    >
    >*i am logged in and all services are started as backexec
    >
    >*installed exchange administrator on backup server
    >
    >Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma
    >

    >Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

  3. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    "Fabian Sanchez" wrote:
    >WTF!!!!, lol
    >
    >for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts

    for
    >a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done
    >
    >*mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    >administrator) in winnt\sys32
    >
    >*i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server
    >
    >*i am logged in and all services are started as backexec
    >
    >*installed exchange administrator on backup server
    >
    >Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma
    >

    >Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

    OOps, wrong advice!

    Sorry.

    I had this issue too and fixed it with a support call -- you NEED check KB
    articles on the Veritas/Exchange edbcli.dll problem/fix.

  4. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    I tried it and it still doenst work. here is what i am running

    *Backer
    Backup v 8.6
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server Standalone

    *Backee
    Exhange 5.5
    NT 4

    ------

    ------
    > TechNote Summary:
    > TechNote Title: The error message "The mailbox name or password is

    incorrect"
    > is displayed in Backup Exec for Windows NT v6.x when setting up e-mail

    notification
    > for a scheduled job
    > TechNote ID: 191644
    > Last Updated: January 18 2000 09:37 PM GMT
    > This information in this TechNote applies to:
    > Products: Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 6.11
    >
    > Subject: Application - Notification
    > Application - Scheduler
    >
    > Languages: English
    >
    > Operating Systems: Windows NT 3.51 Serv, 3.51 Wkst, 4.0 Serv, 4.0 Wkst

    ------

    > VERITAS Software, 1600 Plymouth Street, Mountain View, California 94043
    > World Wide Web: http://www.veritas.com
    > Tech Support Web: http://support.veritas.com
    > E-Mail for Classic VERITAS Products: support@veritas.com
    > E-Mail for Classic Seagate Software Products: helpdesk@support.veritas.com
    > FTP:ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com or http://ftp.support.veritas.com
    >

    > THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE VERITAS SOFTWARE KNOWLEDGE BASE IS

    PROVIDED
    > "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. VERITAS SOFTWARE DISCLAIMS ALL

    WARRANTIES,
    > EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
    > FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL VERITAS SOFTWARE OR

    ITS
    > SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT,
    > INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES,

    EVEN
    > IF VERITAS SOFTWARE OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
    > OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF
    > LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING

    LIMITATION
    > MAY NOT APPLY.
    >

    > 010--101812 010-101812 010101812
    >

    > "Fabian Sanchez" wrote:
    > >WTF!!!!, lol
    > >
    > >for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts

    > for
    > >a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done
    > >
    > >*mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    > >administrator) in winnt\sys32
    > >
    > >*i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server
    > >
    > >*i am logged in and all services are started as backexec
    > >
    > >*installed exchange administrator on backup server
    > >
    > >Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma
    > >

    > >Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

  5. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    I had the same problem. I fixed it by keeping the Exchange System Manager
    at all times now. Seems to work for me.

    -Damian

    "Fabian Sanchez" wrote:
    >WTF!!!!, lol
    >
    >for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts

    for
    >a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done
    >
    >*mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    >administrator) in winnt\sys32
    >
    >*i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server
    >
    >*i am logged in and all services are started as backexec
    >
    >*installed exchange administrator on backup server
    >
    >Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma
    >

    >Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

  6. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    I meant to say I keep the Exchange System Manager OPEN at all times. GEEZ!
    Need more coffee I guess.

    -Damian

    "Fabian Sanchez" wrote:
    >WTF!!!!, lol
    >
    >for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts

    for
    >a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done
    >
    >*mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    >administrator) in winnt\sys32
    >
    >*i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server
    >
    >*i am logged in and all services are started as backexec
    >
    >*installed exchange administrator on backup server
    >
    >Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma
    >

    >Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

  7. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    Microsoft doesn't support Outlook 2000 and Exchange running on the same computer
    (TechNet Q266418). I think this also includes just the Exchange Admin tool,
    because it uses a different MAPI version that Outlook does.

    "Damian" wrote:

    >I meant to say I keep the Exchange System Manager OPEN at all times. GEEZ!
    >Need more coffee I guess.
    >
    >-Damian
    >
    >"Fabian Sanchez" wrote:
    >>WTF!!!!, lol
    >>
    >>for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts

    >for
    >>a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done
    >>
    >>*mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    >>administrator) in winnt\sys32
    >>
    >>*i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server
    >>
    >>*i am logged in and all services are started as backexec
    >>
    >>*installed exchange administrator on backup server
    >>
    >>Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma
    >>

    >>Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

  8. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    please excuse my ignorance. but where would i find the Exchange System
    Manager, is it the same as Exchange Administrator? It still doenst work if
    thats the case, AHHHH!

    Any more input would be appreciated

    Fabian

    "Damian" wrote in message

    > I meant to say I keep the Exchange System Manager OPEN at all times. GEEZ!
    > Need more coffee I guess.
    >
    > -Damian
    >
    > "Fabian Sanchez" wrote:
    > >WTF!!!!, lol
    > >
    > >for some reason i am unable to connect to my exchange server. it prompts

    > for
    > >a Unique mailbox. Am i doing something wrong? below is what i've done
    > >
    > >*mapi32.dll v5.5.2653.12 (when i use ver 1.0 i cannot open exchange
    > >administrator) in winnt\sys32
    > >
    > >*i uninstalled outlook 2000 on the mail server
    > >
    > >*i am logged in and all services are started as backexec
    > >
    > >*installed exchange administrator on backup server
    > >
    > >Anyone, please advise as to how i can resolve my dilemma
    > >

    > >Also, can veritas make this product any more compilcated?

  9. Re: Unable to Connect to exchange Mailbox

    Have you recently run an Exchange Server Service Pack upgrade?

    I have been banging my head on this one for a couple of days. I finally
    traced it down to a corrupted MAPI32.DLL that the Exchange server was using.
    Apparently during the last SP4 upgrade that DLL got corrupted. Once I
    re-downloaded and re-ran the SP4 update, all was well again. My big clue
    was that the mailbox backup had worked on one day and not on the other. Had
    to go back to my endo of month reports to my boss to see what I had done
    that day. from there it was simple.

    Fred Brandli

+ Reply to Thread