I'm using Win2k w/service pack 2. 640 megs of ram. Also using Onstream DI30.

After installing 8.5 I ran the Backup Exec Assistant. My goal was to "Create
a Backup Job". After successful completion of that task, Backup Exec goes
on to create the first "normal" backup.

During this process, I checked the BE Job Monitor. It never leaves the "loading
media" step. (I am using used media that I erased using the "quick" option.
Would have used the "long" option... but it was greyed out & therefore inaccessible.)

I can successfully perform other tasks like Inventory & Retension.

Finally - after letting the "loading media" step run for several hours, I
attempt to stop the process using Backup Exec's built in "abort" command.
Nothing happens. The only way I can stop this process is to force it to quit
using the Task Manager. When I do that, my computer gets really flaky (crashes
other programs, seems to respond slower) and my computer is not ok until
I reboot.

Win2k's Event Viewer shows the following message:

"RSM cannot manage library Tape0. It encountered an unspecified error. This
can be caused by a number of problems including, but not limited to, database
corruption, failure communicating with the library, or insufficient system
resources.

Event ID: 17"

------

Thanks in advance for any help!