Append to Media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Append to Media - Veritas Backup Exec ; Thanks for your earlier answer! Another question: If I choose to 'append to media, overwrite if no appendable media available' Does the backup append to the end of the tape and then rewind to the beginning of the tape and ...

  1. Append to Media

    Thanks for your earlier answer!

    Another question: If I choose to 'append to media,
    overwrite if no appendable media available'

    Does the backup append to the end of the tape and then
    rewind to the beginning of the tape and overwrite? I
    would like to be able to do this so that I don't have to
    put in another tape. It's not clear from the manual
    whether BE does do this.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Append to Media

    "K.Sato" wrote:

    Sorry, forgot to add that I am using v.7.3 b.2575. on NT4.
    To clarify my question, I would like the backup jobs to
    append to the tape until the tape is full and then rewind
    to the beginning of the tape and have new appends overwrite
    from the beginning. Is this possible.??

    >Thanks for your earlier answer!
    >
    >Another question: If I choose to 'append to media,
    >overwrite if no appendable media available'
    >
    >Does the backup append to the end of the tape and then
    >rewind to the beginning of the tape and overwrite? I
    >would like to be able to do this so that I don't have to
    >put in another tape. It's not clear from the manual
    >whether BE does do this.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: Append to Media

    On 14 Jun 2001 19:06:29 -0400, "K.Sato" wrote:

    >Does the backup append to the end of the tape and then
    >rewind to the beginning of the tape and overwrite?

    No be will not overwrite a tape thats has current sessions on it, if a
    append time has enden for at tape it will change to overwrite mode.

    >would like to be able to do this so that I don't have to
    >put in another tape.

    Not possible unless you start with a overwrite.

    >It's not clear from the manual
    >whether BE does do this.

    as above

  4. Re: Append to Media

    Thanks. I have no overwrite protection on so there are
    no media sets that are protected. If I choose 'append to
    media, overwrite if no appendable media available' Wouldn't
    the tape then rewind to the beginning of the tape and then
    overwrite?

    Flemming Riis wrote:
    >On 14 Jun 2001 19:06:29 -0400, "K.Sato" wrote:
    >
    >>Does the backup append to the end of the tape and then
    >>rewind to the beginning of the tape and overwrite?

    >No be will not overwrite a tape thats has current sessions on it, if a
    >append time has enden for at tape it will change to overwrite mode.

    >>would like to be able to do this so that I don't have to
    >>put in another tape.

    >Not possible unless you start with a overwrite.
    >
    >>It's not clear from the manual
    >>whether BE does do this.

    >as above

  5. Re: Append to Media

    no it will not overwrite the same backup job adn as long as the job is set
    to append it will not overwrite if there appendable media.
    "K.Sato" wrote in message news:3b294375$1@hronntp01....

    > Thanks for your earlier answer!
    >
    > Another question: If I choose to 'append to media,
    > overwrite if no appendable media available'
    >
    > Does the backup append to the end of the tape and then
    > rewind to the beginning of the tape and overwrite? I
    > would like to be able to do this so that I don't have to
    > put in another tape. It's not clear from the manual
    > whether BE does do this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread