Backup Exec upgrade or Acrserver 2000 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec upgrade or Acrserver 2000 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have backup exec 7.3 backing up 5 NT 4.0 Servers 1 Exchange, 1 SQL, IDR, & OFO. We are going to upgrade to Win2K in the near future. My question to you guys, Should I upgrade to 8.5 or ...

  1. Backup Exec upgrade or Acrserver 2000

    I have backup exec 7.3 backing up 5 NT 4.0 Servers 1 Exchange, 1 SQL, IDR, &
    OFO. We are going to upgrade to Win2K in the near future. My question to you
    guys, Should I upgrade to 8.5 or go with ARCserve 2000.

    Thanks in advance

    Peretz Stern

  2. Re: Backup Exec upgrade or Acrserver 2000

    Well, I'll tell ya, I bought BE cuz it seemed to be all the rage for windows
    backups. I have Arcserve IT a few versions/years old on the old NT 4
    workstations (so can't directly comment on ArcServe 2000)....

    and all I can say is

    I WANT MY ARCSERVE BACK!

    Not a complete list, but off the top of my head:
    - Much better handling of GFS backup schemes
    - Several small UI issues that just "make more sense" - or are more
    intuitive I guess you could say in Arcserve, or are just bugs in BE (like
    now only being able to select 3 out of the 6 media sets available when I
    create a backup job for some unknown reason.)
    - No media predict log (report that shows you what tapes to put in for the
    next week without looking at the console)
    On the other hand
    - CA tech support is worse than horrible

    I can say that when I installed Arcserve IT a few years ago, I had it
    running in a few hours, including Exchange and SQL backups. It's been 3
    weeks now of playing with BE and it still isn't completely working. Today I
    see a few messages here about updating the Virus definitions and BE stops
    working altogether. Yikes!!

    Ok, I'm ranting, but this is what you wanted, right? Please no flames
    defending BE, this is MY PERSONAL OPINION.

  3. Re: Backup Exec upgrade or Acrserver 2000

    Well, if it makes you feel better, I agree.

    Arcserver is easy, makes sense, powerful, and works. BENT is not easy,
    Exchange is hard to work, and I'm not too happy overall.

    -BB

    In article <3b290f89@hronntp01.>, dan@durcon.com says...
    > Well, I'll tell ya, I bought BE cuz it seemed to be all the rage for windows
    > backups. I have Arcserve IT a few versions/years old on the old NT 4
    > workstations (so can't directly comment on ArcServe 2000)....
    >
    > and all I can say is
    >
    > I WANT MY ARCSERVE BACK!
    >
    > Not a complete list, but off the top of my head:
    > - Much better handling of GFS backup schemes
    > - Several small UI issues that just "make more sense" - or are more
    > intuitive I guess you could say in Arcserve, or are just bugs in BE (like
    > now only being able to select 3 out of the 6 media sets available when I
    > create a backup job for some unknown reason.)
    > - No media predict log (report that shows you what tapes to put in for the
    > next week without looking at the console)
    > On the other hand
    > - CA tech support is worse than horrible
    >
    > I can say that when I installed Arcserve IT a few years ago, I had it
    > running in a few hours, including Exchange and SQL backups. It's been 3
    > weeks now of playing with BE and it still isn't completely working. Today I
    > see a few messages here about updating the Virus definitions and BE stops
    > working altogether. Yikes!!
    >
    > Ok, I'm ranting, but this is what you wanted, right? Please no flames
    > defending BE, this is MY PERSONAL OPINION.

+ Reply to Thread