BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've got two servers running BENT 8.5, with OnStream SC50s. Neither of the servers will retain the label on the tape. I can label the tapes, backup/verify okay, then inventory the tape and get a result. New/old tapes the same; ...

  1. BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained

    I've got two servers running BENT 8.5, with OnStream SC50s. Neither of the
    servers will retain the label on the tape. I can label the tapes, backup/verify
    okay, then inventory the tape and get a result. New/old tapes
    the same; I've swapped out the SC50 in one server, and same problem. I've
    used at least 3 different cleaning cartridges, and unless the cartridge is
    polluting the head (seen it before), dirty heads aren't involved.

    I've moved to short labels, with no spaces, and no luck.

    OnStream and Verbatim tapes both have the problem. I'm talking about 25
    different tapes...3 different drives..2 servers...same problem....only the
    backup software is common. I didn't have this problem in BENT 7.3...it's
    popped up since I upgraded to 8.0, then 8.5 Build 3572. And it's not getting
    any better.

    I just tried this: the tape I labeled this morning, no backup run, just
    inventoried as . Go to Media tab, select the tape that's in
    the drive, right-click, Catalog. Tape read starts; tape pops out, with
    an "insert SC50_1-1"; pop SAME tape back in; now "SC50_1-1" is listed as
    the Cartridge Label...

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Jim

  2. Re: BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained

    Solved, sort of...

    The jobs I was running spanned two tapes on each server. As soon as I split
    the jobs into two parts that only required one tape each, the problem with
    retaining the tape label seems to have disappeared. On both servers. All
    twelve tapes (3 sets on each server) now retain their labels.

    Veritas, it seems you have a "feature" that needs to be addressed in BENT8.x,
    concerning OnStream SC50 drives, labels on ADR tapes that are used in jobs
    spanning multiple tapes.

    "Jim Van Sickler" wrote:

    >I've got two servers running BENT 8.5, with OnStream SC50s. Neither of

    the
    >servers will retain the label on the tape. I can label the tapes, backup/verify
    >okay, then inventory the tape and get a result. New/old tapes
    >the same; I've swapped out the SC50 in one server, and same problem. I've
    >used at least 3 different cleaning cartridges, and unless the cartridge

    is
    >polluting the head (seen it before), dirty heads aren't involved.
    >
    >I've moved to short labels, with no spaces, and no luck.
    >
    >OnStream and Verbatim tapes both have the problem. I'm talking about 25
    >different tapes...3 different drives..2 servers...same problem....only the
    >backup software is common. I didn't have this problem in BENT 7.3...it's
    >popped up since I upgraded to 8.0, then 8.5 Build 3572. And it's not getting
    >any better.
    >
    >I just tried this: the tape I labeled this morning, no backup run, just
    >inventoried as . Go to Media tab, select the tape that's in
    >the drive, right-click, Catalog. Tape read starts; tape pops out, with
    >an "insert SC50_1-1"; pop SAME tape back in; now "SC50_1-1" is listed

    as
    >the Cartridge Label...
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Jim

  3. Re: BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained

    The saga continues...

    I think I found the cure...

    NEVER change tapes by ejecting the tape using the
    eject button on the front of the drive.

    ALWAYS eject the tape using the Eject option on the BE
    menu.

    Effectively the same action; same result...right? Wrong!!!

    Manually ejecting the tape results in >80% "Blank Media"...
    "Eject" from menu results in 100% (so far) display of the
    correct tape label...

    Strange (and VERY ANNOYING) but true!!!

    What's up with that, Veritas???

    "Jim Van Sickler" wrote:

    >I've got two servers running BENT 8.5, with OnStream SC50s. Neither of

    the
    >servers will retain the label on the tape. I can label the tapes, backup/verify
    >okay, then inventory the tape and get a result. New/old tapes
    >the same; I've swapped out the SC50 in one server, and same problem. I've
    >used at least 3 different cleaning cartridges, and unless the cartridge

    is
    >polluting the head (seen it before), dirty heads aren't involved.
    >
    >I've moved to short labels, with no spaces, and no luck.
    >
    >OnStream and Verbatim tapes both have the problem. I'm talking about 25
    >different tapes...3 different drives..2 servers...same problem....only the
    >backup software is common. I didn't have this problem in BENT 7.3...it's
    >popped up since I upgraded to 8.0, then 8.5 Build 3572. And it's not getting
    >any better.
    >
    >I just tried this: the tape I labeled this morning, no backup run, just
    >inventoried as . Go to Media tab, select the tape that's in
    >the drive, right-click, Catalog. Tape read starts; tape pops out, with
    >an "insert SC50_1-1"; pop SAME tape back in; now "SC50_1-1" is listed

    as
    >the Cartridge Label...
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Jim

  4. Re: BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained

    Either that - or ALWAYS do an manual inventory after swapping tapes or magazines.
    I still do this as a holdover from the early v7.0 days, when that's was
    the only way to let BENT know that the tapes had changed. It NEVER read
    the tape header before trying to access a tape. It always assumed the last
    tape it knew about was still mounted.

    "Jim Van Sickler" wrote:

    >The saga continues...
    >
    >I think I found the cure...
    >
    >NEVER change tapes by ejecting the tape using the
    >eject button on the front of the drive.
    >
    >ALWAYS eject the tape using the Eject option on the BE
    >menu.
    >
    >Effectively the same action; same result...right? Wrong!!!
    >
    >Manually ejecting the tape results in >80% "Blank Media"...
    >"Eject" from menu results in 100% (so far) display of the
    >correct tape label...
    >
    >Strange (and VERY ANNOYING) but true!!!
    >
    >What's up with that, Veritas???
    >
    >"Jim Van Sickler" wrote:
    >>
    >>I've got two servers running BENT 8.5, with OnStream SC50s. Neither of

    >the
    >>servers will retain the label on the tape. I can label the tapes, backup/verify
    >>okay, then inventory the tape and get a result. New/old

    tapes
    >>the same; I've swapped out the SC50 in one server, and same problem.

    I've
    >>used at least 3 different cleaning cartridges, and unless the cartridge

    >is
    >>polluting the head (seen it before), dirty heads aren't involved.
    >>
    >>I've moved to short labels, with no spaces, and no luck.
    >>
    >>OnStream and Verbatim tapes both have the problem. I'm talking about 25
    >>different tapes...3 different drives..2 servers...same problem....only

    the
    >>backup software is common. I didn't have this problem in BENT 7.3...it's
    >>popped up since I upgraded to 8.0, then 8.5 Build 3572. And it's not getting
    >>any better.
    >>
    >>I just tried this: the tape I labeled this morning, no backup run, just
    >>inventoried as . Go to Media tab, select the tape that's

    in
    >>the drive, right-click, Catalog. Tape read starts; tape pops out, with
    >>an "insert SC50_1-1"; pop SAME tape back in; now "SC50_1-1" is listed

    >as
    >>the Cartridge Label...
    >>
    >>Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Jim

  5. Re: BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Either that - or ALWAYS do an manual inventory after swapping
    > tapes or magazines.

    I'm doing the manual inventory after every swap-always have. I
    believe, silly me, that it should make NO difference to BE if
    the tape was ejected by hardware (drive button) or software
    (menu option) when you manually inventory the tape. But it does,
    and it's a BIG difference. Press button==>80% , and subsequent
    Inventorys provide the same result...
    Menu option==100% correct tape label. Something is broken inside
    BE 8.5, and it needs to be fixed.

  6. Re: BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained

    I'd definitely report that to Veritas. It is indeed a BIG bug. Try via the
    E-Mail support page at http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on
    (URL may be wrapped)

    "Jim Van Sickler" wrote:

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Either that - or ALWAYS do an manual inventory after swapping
    >> tapes or magazines.

    >I'm doing the manual inventory after every swap-always have. I
    >believe, silly me, that it should make NO difference to BE if
    >the tape was ejected by hardware (drive button) or software
    >(menu option) when you manually inventory the tape. But it does,
    >and it's a BIG difference. Press button==>80% , and subsequent
    >Inventorys provide the same result...
    >Menu option==100% correct tape label. Something is broken inside
    >BE 8.5, and it needs to be fixed.

  7. Re: BENT 8.5/SC50 Tape labels not being retained

    I am using BE v8.6 with the OnStream SC50 & am having the exact
    same problem. I guess it is still not fixed, but glad to see the suggestion
    of using the eject via BE...

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >I'd definitely report that to Veritas. It is indeed a BIG bug. Try via

    the
    >E-Mail support page at http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on
    >(URL may be wrapped)
    >
    >"Jim Van Sickler" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Either that - or ALWAYS do an manual inventory after swapping
    >>> tapes or magazines.

    >>I'm doing the manual inventory after every swap-always have. I
    >>believe, silly me, that it should make NO difference to BE if
    >>the tape was ejected by hardware (drive button) or software
    >>(menu option) when you manually inventory the tape. But it does,
    >>and it's a BIG difference. Press button==>80% , and subsequent
    >>Inventorys provide the same result...
    >>Menu option==100% correct tape label. Something is broken inside
    >>BE 8.5, and it needs to be fixed.

+ Reply to Thread