'Running' but not really - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on 'Running' but not really - Veritas Backup Exec ; V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update: What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort a backup job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but no tape activity and this ...

  1. 'Running' but not really

    V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update:
    What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort a backup
    job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but no tape
    activity and this small 5 minute job has been "running" for 13:19:52 ?
    I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

  2. Re: 'Running' but not really

    "Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update:
    >What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort a backup
    >job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but no

    tape
    >activity and this small 5 minute job has been "running" for 13:19:52 ?
    >I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Chris

    Right click on the job and choose abort, I would also stop and start the
    BkupExec services, before I tried it again.

    Lamar

  3. Re: 'Running' but not really

    OK, right click, "abort" "Yes" ... Still running. However, my right
    click option to "abort" is grayed out now, and my noon backup is pending.
    So I closed BE, and tried to shut down BE services and get and error "The
    service is not responding to the control function".
    Any ideas? Or do I have to reboot my file serer because BE v8.5 is unstable?
    Chris

    "Lamar Morris" wrote in message

    > "Chris Freeman" wrote:
    > >V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update:
    > >What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort a

    backup
    > >job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but no

    > tape
    > >activity and this small 5 minute job has been "running" for 13:19:52 ?
    > >I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >Chris
    > >

    > Right click on the job and choose abort, I would also stop and start the
    > BkupExec services, before I tried it again.
    >
    > Lamar

  4. Re: 'Running' but not really

    ?
    >> >I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    >> >Thanks in advance,
    >> >Chris
    >> >

    >> Right click on the job and choose abort, I would also stop and start the
    >> BkupExec services, before I tried it again.
    >>
    >> Lamar

    Reboot

    Lamar

  5. Re: 'Running' but not really

    I was afraid you were going to say that.

    I can't remember a single instance in which I had to reboot the server due
    to a malfunction with BE v6.11. This v8.5 is killing me. What's worse is
    that I paid for this apparent "downgrade". All due respect to the
    programmers who had good intentions.

    > "Chris Freeman" wrote:
    > >OK, right click, "abort" "Yes" ... Still running. However, my right
    > >click option to "abort" is grayed out now, and my noon backup is pending.
    > >So I closed BE, and tried to shut down BE services and get and error "The
    > >service is not responding to the control function".
    > >Any ideas? Or do I have to reboot my file serer because BE v8.5 is

    unstable?
    > >Chris
    > >

    > >"Lamar Morris" wrote in message

    > >backup

    > no
    > >> tape

    > ?
    > >> >

    > >> Right click on the job and choose abort, I would also stop and start

    the
    > >> BkupExec services, before I tried it again.
    > >>
    > >> Lamar
    > >>

    > Reboot
    >
    > Lamar

  6. Re: 'Running' but not really

    "Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >I was afraid you were going to say that.
    >
    >I can't remember a single instance in which I had to reboot the server due
    >to a malfunction with BE v6.11. This v8.5 is killing me. What's worse is
    >that I paid for this apparent "downgrade". All due respect to the
    >programmers who had good intentions.
    >Chris
    >
    >"Lamar Morris" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >> >OK, right click, "abort" "Yes" ... Still running. However, my right
    >> >click option to "abort" is grayed out now, and my noon backup is pending.
    >> >So I closed BE, and tried to shut down BE services and get and error

    "The
    >> >service is not responding to the control function".
    >> >Any ideas? Or do I have to reboot my file serer because BE v8.5 is

    >unstable?
    >> >Chris
    >> >

    >> >"Lamar Morris" wrote in message

    >> >backup

    >> no

    >> ?

    >the

    >> Reboot
    >>
    >> Lamar

    I'm having the same type of problems with 8.5, with shared storage options,
    backing up over a fiber optic cable. If it's not drives going offline for
    no apparent reason, it's catalog problems, I'm about ready to go back to
    BEX 7.3 and DLT 7000's.
    I bought 7 copies of this (downgrade) at ~1800.00 a pop.

    Lamar

  7. Re: 'Running' but not really

    you must insert the tape that you started the backup job with so BE knows
    what job to abort.........

    "Lamar Morris" wrote:

    >"Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >>OK, right click, "abort" "Yes" ... Still running. However, my right
    >>click option to "abort" is grayed out now, and my noon backup is pending.
    >>So I closed BE, and tried to shut down BE services and get and error "The
    >>service is not responding to the control function".
    >>Any ideas? Or do I have to reboot my file serer because BE v8.5 is unstable?
    >>Chris
    >>

    >>"Lamar Morris" wrote in message

    >>backup

    >no
    >>> tape

    >?
    >>> >

    >>> Right click on the job and choose abort, I would also stop and start

    the
    >>> BkupExec services, before I tried it again.
    >>>
    >>> Lamar
    >>>

    >Reboot
    >
    >Lamar

  8. Re: 'Running' but not really

    Thanks, but no, Bryan. The same tape is in the drive with plenty of room on
    it. For some reason BE must have gone on vacation in the middle of it's job.
    And no, I do NOT use the option of "eject at end of job".

    Could somebody answer if BE 6.11 can read v8.5 tapes? I'll re-catalog if
    necessary, but I may have to dump this version if I have to "reboot" my
    server on account of a constant "software" malfunction. Again, never had
    these problems with the same equipment running V6.11.

    Chris

    "bryan" wrote in message

    > you must insert the tape that you started the backup job with so BE knows
    > what job to abort.........
    >

    > "Lamar Morris" wrote:
    > >
    > >"Chris Freeman" wrote:
    > >>OK, right click, "abort" "Yes" ... Still running. However, my right
    > >>click option to "abort" is grayed out now, and my noon backup is

    pending.
    > >>So I closed BE, and tried to shut down BE services and get and error

    "The
    > >>service is not responding to the control function".
    > >>Any ideas? Or do I have to reboot my file serer because BE v8.5 is

    unstable?
    > >>Chris
    > >>

    > >>"Lamar Morris" wrote in message

    > >>backup

    > >no

    > >?

    > the

    > >Reboot
    > >
    > >Lamar

  9. Re: 'Loading' but not really

    I've started getting the same problem with BE8.5 and win2000. The job says
    it is loading but nothing is happening. When I try stopping the services,
    it takes a few minutes for the job engine service to stop, but it eventually
    does.
    Then I restart the services for the same problem to occur.
    This backup software is worthless if you can't count on the backups to
    actually run.

    Mike

    "Chris Freeman" wrote in message
    > V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update:
    > What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort a

    backup
    > job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but no

    tape
    > activity and this small 5 minute job has been "running" for 13:19:52 ?
    > I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Chris

  10. Re: 'Loading' but not really

    My sentiments exactly. Since I have installed v8.5 I have absolutely no
    confidence in my tape backups. I would happily discuss this matter in detail
    with any MVP of Veritas at any time.
    Chris

    "Mike Q" wrote in message news:3b26316c$1@hronntp01....
    > I've started getting the same problem with BE8.5 and win2000. The job

    says
    > it is loading but nothing is happening. When I try stopping the services,
    > it takes a few minutes for the job engine service to stop, but it

    eventually
    > does.
    > Then I restart the services for the same problem to occur.
    > This backup software is worthless if you can't count on the backups to
    > actually run.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Chris Freeman" wrote in message
    > > V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update:
    > > What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort a

    > backup
    > > job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but no

    > tape
    > > activity and this small 5 minute job has been "running" for 13:19:52 ?
    > > I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Chris

  11. Re: 'Loading' but not really

    in the tape, but deciding what media set to include the backup in (where
    in the tape to go first), and set all of its pointers. I have seen this
    and it is quite frustrating. Maybe you have too many catalogs saved, maybe
    some of the older ones need to be moved to a different directory. Maybe
    your system is running out of virtual space, is the pagesys file set properly.
    Maybe you need to allocate more virtual space on another drive. Too many
    things get installed on the "C" drive causing it to run out of space. And
    this is where Windows does most of its sorting and temp storage.
    Ike

    "Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >My sentiments exactly. Since I have installed v8.5 I have absolutely no
    >confidence in my tape backups. I would happily discuss this matter in detail
    >with any MVP of Veritas at any time.
    >Chris
    >
    >"Mike Q" wrote in message news:3b26316c$1@hronntp01....
    >> I've started getting the same problem with BE8.5 and win2000. The job

    >says
    >> it is loading but nothing is happening. When I try stopping the services,
    >> it takes a few minutes for the job engine service to stop, but it

    >eventually
    >> does.
    >> Then I restart the services for the same problem to occur.
    >> This backup software is worthless if you can't count on the backups to
    >> actually run.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    >> "Chris Freeman" wrote in message
    >> > V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update:
    >> > What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort

    >> backup
    >> > job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but

    no
    >> tape
    >> > activity and this small 5 minute job has been "running" for 13:19:52

    ?
    >> > I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    >> > Thanks in advance,
    >> > Chris

  12. Re: 'Loading' but not really

    Search for messages with the keyword "Loading"
    Look at my recent posting that says: ADMINS, Try This.
    It worked for me.
    Kurt

    "Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >My sentiments exactly. Since I have installed v8.5 I have absolutely no
    >confidence in my tape backups. I would happily discuss this matter in detail
    >with any MVP of Veritas at any time.
    >Chris
    >
    >"Mike Q" wrote in message news:3b26316c$1@hronntp01....
    >> I've started getting the same problem with BE8.5 and win2000. The job

    >says
    >> it is loading but nothing is happening. When I try stopping the services,
    >> it takes a few minutes for the job engine service to stop, but it

    >eventually
    >> does.
    >> Then I restart the services for the same problem to occur.
    >> This backup software is worthless if you can't count on the backups to
    >> actually run.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    >> "Chris Freeman" wrote in message
    >> > V8.5 NT4 sp6a w/mdac update:
    >> > What is the proper way to find out how to complete or stop or abort

    >> backup
    >> > job that is shown as "active" and "running" with no "% complete" but

    no
    >> tape
    >> > activity and this small 5 minute job has been "running" for 13:19:52

    ?
    >> > I don't really want to reboot my file server.
    >> > Thanks in advance,
    >> > Chris

  13. Re: 'Loading' but not really

    As well I have the similar problems as you all. But my problem exceeds to
    the point where the job is aborted and stops running in BE 8.0 but the tape
    drive does not stop running therefore I am unable to eject the tape unless
    I shut dow the File server, unplug the SCSI cable from the drive, plug it
    back in and booy up the server"

    This has become a nuisance as shutting down the server tends to conflict
    with other employees. If any one has any suggestions please let me know.

    Kurt Mease" wrote:

    >Search for messages with the keyword "Loading"
    >Look at my recent posting that says: ADMINS, Try This.
    >It worked for me.
    >Kurt
    >
    >"Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >>My sentiments exactly. Since I have installed v8.5 I have absolutely no
    >>confidence in my tape backups. I would happily discuss this matter in detail
    >>with any MVP of Veritas at any time.
    >>Chris
    >>
    >>"Mike Q" wrote in message news:3b26316c$1@hronntp01....
    >>> I've started getting the same problem with BE8.5 and win2000. The job

    >>says
    >>> it is loading but nothing is happening. When I try stopping the services,
    >>> it takes a few minutes for the job engine service to stop, but it

    >>eventually
    >>> does.
    >>> Then I restart the services for the same problem to occur.
    >>> This backup software is worthless if you can't count on the backups to
    >>> actually run.
    >>>
    >>> Mike
    >>>

    >>> "Chris Freeman" wrote in message

    >>> backup

    >no
    >>> tape

    >?

  14. Re: 'Loading' but not really

    We occasionally run into this problem. The solution is to stop all
    of the services. Unfortunately all of the services don't always stop.
    You can use Kill.exe to fix this. We run about 25 jobs a night on 20
    servers and this happens about 2 times a month or so. Other than
    that we have pretty reliable backups.

    "Vanessa" wrote:

    >As well I have the similar problems as you all. But my problem exceeds to
    >the point where the job is aborted and stops running in BE 8.0 but the tape
    >drive does not stop running therefore I am unable to eject the tape unless
    >I shut dow the File server, unplug the SCSI cable from the drive, plug it
    >back in and booy up the server"
    >
    >This has become a nuisance as shutting down the server tends to conflict
    >with other employees. If any one has any suggestions please let me know.
    >
    >Kurt Mease" wrote:
    >>
    >>Search for messages with the keyword "Loading"
    >>Look at my recent posting that says: ADMINS, Try This.
    >>It worked for me.
    >>Kurt
    >>
    >>"Chris Freeman" wrote:
    >>>My sentiments exactly. Since I have installed v8.5 I have absolutely no
    >>>confidence in my tape backups. I would happily discuss this matter in

    detail
    >>>with any MVP of Veritas at any time.
    >>>Chris

    >>>says