Full backup problem ? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Full backup problem ? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello to everybody I need help. It's weird but this is what happening... My differential backup is working fine. yes full backup also works but in a funny way. It's doing backup in 2 media for almost a month. I ...

  1. Full backup problem ?

    Hello to everybody
    I need help.

    It's weird but this is what happening...
    My differential backup is working fine.
    yes full backup also works but in a funny way. It's doing backup in 2 media
    for almost a month.
    I wrote to veritas support about this I was asked to change the overrite
    protection period which I did but no luck.

    The size of the data it is backing up is 30GB, I have 20/40 DLT tape.
    Any good suggestion will be really really appreciated.
    Thank you

  2. Re: Full backup problem ?

    The problem is that you can't guarantee getting 40GB on a 20/40GB tape. 2
    to 1 compression is a salesman's average, but it depends on the type of data
    you are backing up. Try setting using compression. It probably won't get any
    better, and it might take longer if you have a lot of small files, but it
    will tell you what compression ratio you are getting. If it's less than 1.5
    to 1, then 2 tapes for your 30GB is correct.

    Ken McNulty

    Himal Rai wrote in message

    > Hello to everybody
    > I need help.
    >
    > It's weird but this is what happening...
    > My differential backup is working fine.
    > yes full backup also works but in a funny way. It's doing backup in 2

    media
    > for almost a month.
    > I wrote to veritas support about this I was asked to change the overrite
    > protection period which I did but no luck.
    >
    > The size of the data it is backing up is 30GB, I have 20/40 DLT tape.
    > Any good suggestion will be really really appreciated.
    > Thank you

  3. Re: Full backup problem ?

    Finger Trouble! I meant to say "try using Software compression".

    Ken McNulty wrote in message
    > The problem is that you can't guarantee getting 40GB on a 20/40GB tape. 2
    > to 1 compression is a salesman's average, but it depends on the type of

    data
    > you are backing up. Try setting using compression. It probably won't get

    any
    > better, and it might take longer if you have a lot of small files, but it
    > will tell you what compression ratio you are getting. If it's less than

    1.5
    > to 1, then 2 tapes for your 30GB is correct.
    >
    > Ken McNulty
    >
    > Himal Rai wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hello to everybody
    > > I need help.
    > >
    > > It's weird but this is what happening...
    > > My differential backup is working fine.
    > > yes full backup also works but in a funny way. It's doing backup in 2

    > media
    > > for almost a month.
    > > I wrote to veritas support about this I was asked to change the overrite
    > > protection period which I did but no luck.
    > >
    > > The size of the data it is backing up is 30GB, I have 20/40 DLT tape.
    > > Any good suggestion will be really really appreciated.
    > > Thank you

+ Reply to Thread