The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am getting this message The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block. in my event viewer on nt 4.0 I am using BE 8.5 server. I did a verifying job and it works fine. Also I keep getting a drive ...

  1. The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block

    I am getting this message The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block. in my
    event viewer on nt 4.0
    I am using BE 8.5 server. I did a verifying job and it works fine. Also I
    keep getting a drive cleaning
    light, how often does a clean job need to be run.
    My tape backup is a benchmark dlt 110 from
    DELL.

    Thanks for your Help

    Jim Quinn

  2. Re: The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block

    Not sure about your device, but I clean my DLT7000s every week before the
    weekly jobs

    How old are your tapes?
    Have they been stored in controlled environment?

    Jim Quinn wrote:

    > I am getting this message The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block. in my
    > event viewer on nt 4.0
    > I am using BE 8.5 server. I did a verifying job and it works fine. Also I
    > keep getting a drive cleaning
    > light, how often does a clean job need to be run.
    > My tape backup is a benchmark dlt 110 from
    > DELL.
    >
    > Thanks for your Help
    >
    > Jim Quinn

  3. Re: The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block

    I keep them in the plastic cases they come in and are stored in a bank
    vault. THe cleaning tapes
    are kept in the cases and stored in a filing cabinet.
    I clean 2 times weekly is that enough or does it
    need to be daily, such as most autoloaders clean nightly if I am not
    mistaken.
    Jim
    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Not sure about your device, but I clean my DLT7000s every week before the
    > weekly jobs
    >
    > How old are your tapes?
    > Have they been stored in controlled environment?
    >

    > Jim Quinn wrote:
    >
    > > I am getting this message The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block. in

    my
    > > event viewer on nt 4.0
    > > I am using BE 8.5 server. I did a verifying job and it works fine. Also

    > > keep getting a drive cleaning
    > > light, how often does a clean job need to be run.
    > > My tape backup is a benchmark dlt 110 from
    > > DELL.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your Help
    > >
    > > Jim Quinn

  4. Re: The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block

    Like you, Jim, I am getting messages in the event log that read, "The device,
    \Device\Tape0, has a bad block." However, the error I am getting on my VERITAS
    log file for that job is, "Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request
    to read data from media. Error reportedata error (cyclic redundancy check)."
    I am running Win2k Pro with an external HP DAT drive. I have not cleaned
    my drive in months. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you.

    "Jim Quinn" wrote:
    >I am getting this message The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block. in my
    >event viewer on nt 4.0
    >I am using BE 8.5 server. I did a verifying job and it works fine. Also

    >keep getting a drive cleaning
    >light, how often does a clean job need to be run.
    >My tape backup is a benchmark dlt 110 from
    >DELL.
    >
    >Thanks for your Help
    >
    >Jim Quinn

  5. Re: The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm for the Veritas trouble
    shooting guide for CRC errors

    keith Hamman wrote:

    > Like you, Jim, I am getting messages in the event log that read, "The device,
    > \Device\Tape0, has a bad block." However, the error I am getting on my VERITAS
    > log file for that job is, "Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request
    > to read data from media. Error reportedata error (cyclic redundancy check)."
    > I am running Win2k Pro with an external HP DAT drive. I have not cleaned
    > my drive in months. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you.
    >
    > "Jim Quinn" wrote:
    > >I am getting this message The device\device\tape 0 has a bad block. in my
    > >event viewer on nt 4.0
    > >I am using BE 8.5 server. I did a verifying job and it works fine. Also

    > >keep getting a drive cleaning
    > >light, how often does a clean job need to be run.
    > >My tape backup is a benchmark dlt 110 from
    > >DELL.
    > >
    > >Thanks for your Help
    > >
    > >Jim Quinn

+ Reply to Thread