Fail on verify - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Fail on verify - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a windows 2000 server with Backup Exec 8.5, and a Sony dds4 tape drive, Every time the backup runs I get a failed backup in the log, but it backs up o.k. I have added the reg key ...

  1. Fail on verify

    I have a windows 2000 server with Backup Exec 8.5, and a Sony dds4 tape drive,
    Every time the backup runs I get a failed backup in the log, but it backs
    up o.k.
    I have added the reg key ‘fail on corrupt jobs’ but is still faulting. it
    always says “SONY 1 does not contain a storage media.” Just after the verify
    starts, then the verify Finishes straight away.
    Job Operation - Verify

    Verify of "C: "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Daily Backup"
    Verify started on 30/05/2001 at 10:59:08 PM.
    SONY 1 does not contain a storage media.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Verify completed on 30/05/2001 at 10:59:08 PM.
    Verified 16 files in 3 directories.
    0 files were different.
    Processed 2,047,967 bytes in 1 second.
    Throughput rate: 117.2 MB/min

    Job ended: Wednesday, 30 May 2001 at 10:59:26 PM
    Job completion status: Failed
    Please help

  2. Re: Fail on verify

    Sounds like the verify is trying to start before the drive finishes repositioning

    Are you using Veritas Drivers, MS drivers or those provided by the drive
    manufacturer?

    Jason Wade wrote:

    > I have a windows 2000 server with Backup Exec 8.5, and a Sony dds4 tape drive,
    > Every time the backup runs I get a failed backup in the log, but it backs
    > up o.k.
    > I have added the reg key ‘fail on corrupt jobs’ but is still faulting. it
    > always says “SONY 1 does not contain a storage media.” Just after the verify
    > starts, then the verify Finishes straight away.
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job Operation - Verify
    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > Verify of "C: "
    > Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    > Backup set description: "Daily Backup"
    > Verify started on 30/05/2001 at 10:59:08 PM.
    > SONY 1 does not contain a storage media.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > Verify completed on 30/05/2001 at 10:59:08 PM.
    > Verified 16 files in 3 directories.
    > 0 files were different.
    > Processed 2,047,967 bytes in 1 second.
    > Throughput rate: 117.2 MB/min
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job ended: Wednesday, 30 May 2001 at 10:59:26 PM
    > Job completion status: Failed
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Please help

  3. Re: Fail on verify

    We've got a similar situation that just started. The job fails, logging "Seagate
    1 does not contain a storage media."

    This backup has been running fine until about a week ago. At that time,
    someone left files open causing the backup to log errors. Ever since then
    the job fails with the above message. This occurs during an overnight backup
    and verify which starts at 2 am. In the backup, 7 files from drive C are
    backed up, then 100014 files from drive D. The verify kicks off and verifies
    the 7 files from C, then generates this error when it attempts to start verifying
    the files from D. Oddly enough this always occurs around 5:45 am (give or
    take 10 minutes); between 8 and 8:05 am, which is when office personnel arrive
    and log on, the backup logs completion. The tape remains in the drive the
    entire time.

    Ideas?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Sounds like the verify is trying to start before the drive finishes repositioning
    >
    >Are you using Veritas Drivers, MS drivers or those provided by the drive
    >manufacturer?
    >
    >Jason Wade wrote:
    >
    >> I have a windows 2000 server with Backup Exec 8.5, and a Sony dds4 tape

    drive,
    >> Every time the backup runs I get a failed backup in the log, but it backs
    >> up o.k.
    >> I have added the reg key ‘fail on corrupt jobs’ but is still faulting.

    it
    >> always says “SONY 1 does not contain a storage media.” Just after the

    verify
    >> starts, then the verify Finishes straight away.
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Job Operation - Verify
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >>
    >> Verify of "C: "
    >> Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >> Backup set description: "Daily Backup"
    >> Verify started on 30/05/2001 at 10:59:08 PM.
    >> SONY 1 does not contain a storage media.
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >> Verify completed on 30/05/2001 at 10:59:08 PM.
    >> Verified 16 files in 3 directories.
    >> 0 files were different.
    >> Processed 2,047,967 bytes in 1 second.
    >> Throughput rate: 117.2 MB/min

    >> Job ended: Wednesday, 30 May 2001 at 10:59:26 PM
    >> Job completion status: Failed
    >> Please help

+ Reply to Thread